tsveta
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
My hair is naturally mousy brown but I have highlights. At the moment, it is just above my boobs, so past my shoulders. I'd love it to be, like, reeeally long, but because I dye it it's simply impossible for it to grow any longer than just passed my boobs. I really want to get some hair extensions that are like, always in my hair (I've already got some clip in ones but I want some permanent ones), but lots of people have advised me against it. They say if you get the glued in ones they pull at your natural hair and ruin it forever and I don't think I can take that risk as I don't plan in having them for THAT long (I want them for a few months).

Anyone got any advice?? I'd LOVE my hair to be like the girl's in the picture attached, and hopefully extensions will do this for me. Please help!!
Attached files
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Would you be willing to stop dying it and let it grow for a bit?

Glued in hair extensions will damage your hair of course, however unless you use them repeatedly for a long time it shouldn't be damaged irrevocably.

Best bet is to go to a good salon and ask about what techniques they use and how they minimise impact on the hair.
RainbowDoll
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Glue in hair extensions do damage your hair, most places don't use that method anymore and havn't for a long time.
I have worn hair extensions for quite a few years now. They are pre bonded (keratin) which is one of the safest methods of applying hair extensions. The extensions come in strands and are attached to your hair by melting the keratin around your own hair. They are then removed by applying a formula to the bond which will dissolve the keratin, then the extension will simply slide out. You shouldn't wear hair extensions for any longer then 3 months anyway, as your hair will grow and the hair between the bond and your scalp will end up getting matted if you leave them in too long. The girls hair in the picture is a tiny bit longer then mine (20 inch) I would say hers was about 24 inch maybe even 26.
There are other safe methods apart from pe bonded such as micro ring, but as with pre bonded you shouldn't wear them for longer then 3 months. But you can have the full head of extensions removed and a new set of hair applied after those 3 months. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
xbutterflyx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you buy clip in hair extensions and look after them properly they will last longer than having to go to a salon all the time. Make sure you get human hair extensions!
username545910
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I really want long hair too and honestly, it's grown more in the past few months than it has in years. All I did was stop dying and bleaching it, don't use any heated products on it (straightners, curling irons etc) unless you have to, and using coconut oil a couple of times a week. My hair refuses to grow most of the time but it's really got long lately. I'd get glue in extensions if I could afford it but they are apparently really bad for your hair
hannahhaworth
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In my experience you can't really get extensions that long unless you alreayd have very long hair or they don't blend properly; there's not enough hair to layer that much.

The longest you could probaby go is about waist length?

And I'd really recommend trying clip ins before getting them done permanently, as you'll be able to see if you get on with them, possibly prefer them and therefore avoid wasting hundreds of pounds. I got some new ones recently,

actual length (different colour obviously)

New!:
MaddyRose1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hannahhaworth)
In my experience you can't really get extensions that long unless you alreayd have very long hair or they don't blend properly; there's not enough hair to layer that much.

And I'd really recommend trying clip ins before getting them done permanently, as you'll be able to see if you get on with them, possibly prefer them and therefore avoid wasting hundreds of pounds. I got some new ones recently,

New!:
Hi,

Could I ask where you got your hair extensions from and how much it cost you?

They look really good and I'm seriously thinking about investing

Thanks.
angel_night
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you want a more permenant type of extension, look into microbead/microlink extensions. This method requires no heat or glue. The hair is 'clamped' onto your hair with a bead with is closed shut around the hair. Then when they are taken out they are just opened with a pair of pliers. I had an unfortunate accident earlier thsi year which led to a good portion of my hair ending up a few inches long. My hair is bra strap length and I couldn't bare to cut it, so I use microbead extensions. I do them myself and you can buy 100 strands of remy human hair on ebay for £40 (less if you will buy from China etc). You can also have them professionaly put in. i had a look on gumtree and prices ranged from about £120 -£600 depending o the experience of the person.
engleheart
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Stop applying dye and nourish your hair with products that makes your hair grow faster. what is you age?

Age is also the one which determines the hair growth.
hannahhaworth
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MaddyRose1)
Hi,

Could I ask where you got your hair extensions from and how much it cost you?

They look really good and I'm seriously thinking about investing

Thanks.
Thank you
They're from Headkandy.com, a full head set of my length (20-22') is £80, but I also got an extra quad weft because my hair is quite thick, that was £23 extra
Jumbalaya!
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thank you
They're from Headkandy.com, a full head set of my length (20-22') is £80, but I also got an extra quad weft because my hair is quite thick, that was £23 extra
Hi, I have quite thick curly-ish hair, do you think headkandy extensions would be suitable? Would you say that the extra weft is necessary? Plus how did you get your hair in that style
TheHyacinthGirl
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't really understand why you can't grow it because you dye it. I dye mine and have it to the bottom of my back.
tsveta
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by TheHyacinthGirl)
I don't really understand why you can't grow it because you dye it. I dye mine and have it to the bottom of my back.
What colour do you dye it though? I have highlights and peroxide is so so bad for your hair is why I can't grow it. It would be easier if it was a darker colour.

It does grow a bit, but the ends just get so awful because of the bleach.
IndyKitty
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My hair is at the bottom of my back and is dyed blonde with a ton of bleach highlights. I got it that long before I dyed it though but it still grows really quickly for me. I don't take care of my hair very well at all but its naturally really thick so I think it just about survives. Your just gonna have to really look after your ends if your gonna grow it. I suggest using coconut oil on your ends as it's designed for Afro hair so it's really nourishing. I get mine in a tub from Superdrug, it's much cheaper than all the overpriced hair masks and treatments.
hannahhaworth
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jumbalaya!)
Hi, I have quite thick curly-ish hair, do you think headkandy extensions would be suitable? Would you say that the extra weft is necessary? Plus how did you get your hair in that style
Mine is thick and curly, I straighten it before I put the extensions in but otherwise it's fine. Although you can kind of tell because the texture is slightly different; the extensions hairs are thinner and in better condition than my hair has ever been

I use a thick barrelled curling wand, and the extensions have been cut quite layered with my own hair.

And no, I don't think the extra weft is really necessary; I always get it because my hair is so dense but you have to make sure all of the wefts are put in lower than recommended or the top one shows under your own hair if that makes sense
LibbyU
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

New!:
Your hair is actually gorgeous! I've had clip in extensions for a few years now, always bought from sally's the beauty supply shop for about £40 but I don't find that they're good quality at all - they are nice to start with but after a lot of styling they get really dry and also burn and strands of hair turn black! even though they claim to be natural human hair. So I was thinking about buying from headkandy... how did you know which shade to buy? My hair is blonde/brown but is really highlighted and a mix of lots of different tones.

How long have your hair extensions lasted you so far? and are they good with styling i.e. heat from straightening/curling? how do you treat them? thanks!
Linzikins
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
New!:
Your hair looks gorgeous :eek:
I'm always weary of using clip ins as some people I see around have blatant extensions and the clips are hanging out =/

I wish I could get mine like that! What curlers do you use?
hannahhaworth
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Linzikins)
Your hair looks gorgeous :eek:
I'm always weary of using clip ins as some people I see around have blatant extensions and the clips are hanging out =/

I wish I could get mine like that! What curlers do you use?
Haha thank you! They're fine if your hair's thick like mine is but even if not just make sure you wear them quite low down from your parting and they're layered in with your hair.

In this picture I used my GHDs to curl them but it took forever and was one of the only times I've managed to make them perfect. I've since got this curling wand: http://www.boots.com/en/Mark-Hill-ro...Boots_1222739/
Which gives me the same effect but much quicker and easier! And I've just seen it's half price when I only got it at full price last month
hannahhaworth
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LibbyU)
Your hair is actually gorgeous! I've had clip in extensions for a few years now, always bought from sally's the beauty supply shop for about £40 but I don't find that they're good quality at all - they are nice to start with but after a lot of styling they get really dry and also burn and strands of hair turn black! even though they claim to be natural human hair. So I was thinking about buying from headkandy... how did you know which shade to buy? My hair is blonde/brown but is really highlighted and a mix of lots of different tones.

How long have your hair extensions lasted you so far? and are they good with styling i.e. heat from straightening/curling? how do you treat them? thanks!
I had some from Sallys that claimed to be human hair too and they were rubbish. They're really thin and straggly, when I first got my headkandy ones the comparison was insane. headkandy hair is also all remy, I'm not sure if what you're buying at the moment is or if you know about it but what that means is the hairs are all kept the right way up, so the top of the hair where the root would be is at the top of the weft. This keeps them a lot softer and stronger as when you brush the upside down strands it basically has the same effect as backcombing your hair so it doesn't last half as long.

You can send headkandy a picture of the back of your head and they'll match you. They also come with an extra little pocket seperated from the rest of the hair in the packaging so you can take that out and check it properly without breaking the returns policy which is great.

I got my shade by pure chance, just guessed what colour by how light my ends were and they're perfect. I used to dye them with my hairdye though because it was a reddish dark brown and I couldn't get a proper match.
the hair is also really really multi tonal up close so it really does blend in even if you cant get a perfect match.

In the picture I posted they were brand new, I've had them about 3 months now and they're still going strong but don't look as nice because I've layered them too much But I've had them last about 9 months in the past before I got more and even then they were still wearable.

I wash them about every month-5 weeks or if they go dull becuase I've used too much product on them. I wash them in a bowl of hot water mixed with shampoo and then leave conditioner on them for about an hour. They're fine with heat as long as you use heat protection spray/creme on them

gawwdddd this was a long post, sorry!!
LibbyU
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I had some from Sallys that claimed to be human hair too and they were rubbish. They're really thin and straggly, when I first got my headkandy ones the comparison was insane. headkandy hair is also all remy, I'm not sure if what you're buying at the moment is or if you know about it but what that means is the hairs are all kept the right way up, so the top of the hair where the root would be is at the top of the weft. This keeps them a lot softer and stronger as when you brush the upside down strands it basically has the same effect as backcombing your hair so it doesn't last half as long.

You can send headkandy a picture of the back of your head and they'll match you. They also come with an extra little pocket seperated from the rest of the hair in the packaging so you can take that out and check it properly without breaking the returns policy which is great.

I got my shade by pure chance, just guessed what colour by how light my ends were and they're perfect. I used to dye them with my hairdye though because it was a reddish dark brown and I couldn't get a proper match.
the hair is also really really multi tonal up close so it really does blend in even if you cant get a perfect match.

In the picture I posted they were brand new, I've had them about 3 months now and they're still going strong but don't look as nice because I've layered them too much But I've had them last about 9 months in the past before I got more and even then they were still wearable.

I wash them about every month-5 weeks or if they go dull becuase I've used too much product on them. I wash them in a bowl of hot water mixed with shampoo and then leave conditioner on them for about an hour. They're fine with heat as long as you use heat protection spray/creme on them

gawwdddd this was a long post, sorry!!
Ah thank you! That was soo helpful what length are yours by the way? I'm deciding between 20-22" and 16-18" as I think 20-22 might be too long for me x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (281)
60.82%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.76%
No- I want it (125)
27.06%
No- I don't want it (34)
7.36%

Watched Threads