The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

The Official Glasgow Applicants 2012 Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jordan0141
Glasgow hardly look at personal statements for their science courses, I'm applying for anatomy, neuroscience and Economics with a dentistry personal statement!

I wish I'd known that! Glasgow could have been my safety! :cool:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 61
Anatomy :smile: although I don't actually want to do the subject- It's my back up for medicine :smile:
i'm applying to glasgow :smile:

English Literature/History

it's my first choice, my others are... Leicester, Reading, Kent, Aberdeen

tempted to put UEA in but there is no room and kent is my insurance and aberdeen is my insurance insurance
Reply 63
Yayy,

English Lit and Mathematics
English Lit and Economics

both ABB, hope I get in! scareeeddd
Now I'm sure I got an offer from them ! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Cuz I received an email telling me they had decided to make me an offer etc...

But I still haven't got my welcome letter from UCAS so I can't access to Track :frown: Can't wait to find out what my offer is, I really hope it's something achievable ! Politics, literature, here I come ! Erm, hopefully :biggrin:

That aside, I have a question. Surely you all know how it works except me and I'm a complete moron, but how do the unis know how many offers to make ? I mean, they make more offers than they have places, meaning they except us to fail ? :/ And if everyone met their offer not all of us could enter the course due to lack of place right ? How does it work anyway ?

Also if someone knew how lenient they are with people failing to meet their offers ? (Don't know what mine is but already expecting to fail lol)

Sorry for all these questions :P
Haha, offer for English Literature at ABB, and their requirements were AAA!!! I only sent my UCAS off 5 days ago!!! Absolutely buzzing :smile: Well done everyone! x x x x
Reply 66
Im applying for Business and Management .

my other choices are : Strathclyde, Heriot-Watt, Edinburgh Napier and Aberdeen. :smile:
Reply 67
I'm applying for veterinary medicine and Glasgow is my favourite but I'm not too hopeful :frown:
Reply 68
Original post by DreamByDay
Now I'm sure I got an offer from them ! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Cuz I received an email telling me they had decided to make me an offer etc...

But I still haven't got my welcome letter from UCAS so I can't access to Track :frown: Can't wait to find out what my offer is, I really hope it's something achievable ! Politics, literature, here I come ! Erm, hopefully :biggrin:

That aside, I have a question. Surely you all know how it works except me and I'm a complete moron, but how do the unis know how many offers to make ? I mean, they make more offers than they have places, meaning they except us to fail ? :/ And if everyone met their offer not all of us could enter the course due to lack of place right ? How does it work anyway ?

Also if someone knew how lenient they are with people failing to meet their offers ? (Don't know what mine is but already expecting to fail lol)

Sorry for all these questions :P

You can access track without the welcome letter :smile: if you try signing in again to ucas, it'll display your id number, note that down and then go onto track, type in your id number, your usual ucas sign in name thing and your password :smile:
Original post by DreamByDay

To be entirely honest, I'm not too sure how the UK universities work on this, but I would imagine it's the same way the American universities do...

In the States, most kids apply through the Common Application (something similar to UCAS but a lot more tedious) which allows them to send unlimited number of applications. Of course, unlike the UCAS, there are a lot of supplementary documents and essays that need to be submitted for individual schools, so most of the top tier kids generally apply to around 5 different universities (a very rough estimate... depends a lot on individual high schools).

Point being, schools receive thousands of applications. From these, they have to select enough such that there are enough people enrolling into their schools. They achieve this by creating a buffer zone; they accept much more than they can actually handle because they estimate a portion of the accepted won’t enrol into the University. The size of the buffer zone largely depends on the popularity of the individual university... For instance, assuming both universities want a class size of 100 students, Harvard might accept 110 because most kids who receive an offer would be willing to enrol. On the other hand, Universities like Cornell (it’s another great school, but the trend is that many apply there as backups) might have to accept 130 because many students who receive offers won’t enrol there. And others might accept 150 and so on.

For UK schools, I assume the buffer zones would be even greater because they need to estimate a portion of their offers won't meet their conditions.
(edited 12 years ago)
To Glasgow offer holders: Did you get an acknowledgment from Glasgow then an offer, or just an offer?
Reply 71
Original post by Charlesworth
To Glasgow offer holders: Did you get an acknowledgment from Glasgow then an offer, or just an offer?

I got an acknowledgement first
Original post by Aesc
I got an acknowledgement first

And one more question, how long after the acknowledgment did you get your offer?
Reply 73
And one more question, how long after the acknowledgment did you get your offer?

I'm afraid I deleted the acknowledgement so I'm not sure when I got it. But I got the offer a week after I sent off UCAS so it can't have been very long. Sorry.
Original post by Aesc
I'm afraid I deleted the acknowledgement so I'm not sure when I got it. But I got the offer a week after I sent off UCAS so it can't have been very long. Sorry.

No need to be sorry :biggrin: Just wondering how quickly people have gotten an offer after getting an acknowledgment - but I know it will vary from person to person.

Congrats on your offer by the way!
Reply 75
No need to be sorry :biggrin: Just wondering how quickly people have gotten an offer after getting an acknowledgment - but I know it will vary from person to person.

Congrats on your offer by the way!

I think you've already congratulated me! I should imagine it varies between departments as well, and if you're applying for a joint honours it might take longer too. I take it you're a Scot? How comes you did GCSEs and A-levels?
Original post by Aesc
I think you've already congratulated me! I should imagine it varies between departments as well, and if you're applying for a joint honours it might take longer too. I take it you're a Scot? How comes you did GCSEs and A-levels?

Yeah I am from Scotland but I live in Dubai, so I had to do the English system :tongue:
Original post by ofssinfoxes
To be entirely honest, I'm not too sure how the UK universities work on this, but I would imagine it's the same way the American universities do...

In the States, most kids apply through the Common Application (something similar to UCAS but a lot more tedious) which allows them to send unlimited number of applications. Of course, unlike the UCAS, there are a lot of supplementary documents and essays that need to be submitted for individual schools, so most of the top tier kids generally apply to around 5 different universities (a very rough estimate... depends a lot on individual high schools).

Point being, schools receive thousands of applications. From these, they have to select enough such that there are enough people enrolling into their schools. They achieve this by creating a buffer zone; they accept much more than they can actually handle because they estimate a portion of the accepted won’t enrol into the University. The size of the buffer zone largely depends on the popularity of the individual university... For instance, assuming both universities want a class size of 100 students, Harvard might accept 110 because most kids who receive an offer would be willing to enrol. On the other hand, Universities like Cornell (it’s another great school, but the trend is that many apply there as backups) might have to accept 130 because many students who receive offers won’t enrol there. And others might accept 150 and so on.

For UK schools, I assume the buffer zones would be even greater because they need to estimate a portion of their offers won't meet their conditions.

I see; I just hope they would still accept me if I don't meet my offer, meaning they have enough places left to allow themselves to do that :wink:
Original post by LHC
You can access track without the welcome letter :smile: if you try signing in again to ucas, it'll display your id number, note that down and then go onto track, type in your id number, your usual ucas sign in name thing and your password :smile:

Thanks !! I did that and could find out about my offer :smile: Sadly it seems almost impossible for me to reach the grade they are asking for :/ But I want so much to go to Glasgow Uni, I'll defo try hard :biggrin:

I got an acknowledgement the day after I applied, and an 'offer-email' 4 days later. You should get your acknowledgement first, however it you log into track and it says that you've applied to Glasgow, then I would've though they'd recieved your application. Good luck :smile: x x x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending