The Student Room Group

In this thread, we feel like we were born in the wrong era.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by philistine
My dear, you're as sharp as a worn down cog. I was pointing out the superfluity of your original post.

And I was pointing out your complete misunderstanding of it...dear.
Reply 61
Original post by somethingbeautiful
And I was pointing out your complete misunderstanding of it...dear.

Are you actually saying all this in earnest? Or are you just atrociously and terminally thick-headed?

Thread title > thread content, then related and all too on-topic posts normally follow it. You posted with what was by definition, a very long and incontiguous non sequitur.

Lmao. Remind me to rep you again.

Again? Well I like to think I'm funny I suppose!:biggrin:
Reply 63
:O This is exactly me!
I wish I lived in the 50s with the post war happiness and marilyn monroe, and the outfits and the coming of rockabilly style. and the men, the music. so much more! <3
it just seems like i'd love to be part of something back then. :smile:

and i don't like, how i try and awaken by inner 50s girl through my style today, and i get called "hipster" :frown:
i don't care what people say tbh, but it's like, ah idk!
I belong with Mr Darcy (specifically the Colin Firth version). *sigh* :love:
Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism
I'm torn. I feel more 'in tune' with the early days; the fashion, music, parties, lifestyles, and especially speech- my idiolect has suffered from too much immersion in things like Upstairs Downstairs, Brideshead, Polari etc so that I now sound like a rather ridiculous Northern hybrid of Anthony Blanche and Kenneth Williams.

But at the same time it's a bit of a cause and effect thing; I've no idea if I like these things so much because I feel so alienated from people today, or whether it was these things that caused it. I might go back to those days and feel just as uncomfortable as I do now, but without the 'otherness' aspect to reassure me, because as far as I was aware this is just normal living and not an escape as such. Plus I'd miss all the exciting other times: Bettie Page, Carnaby Street, Bowie, Elvis etc.

The main reason for staying here would be things like the internet, technology generally, access to so much history and information, things like that. BUT if someone gave me the wit and means to swap into the bright young people's set it would be an immediate yes.

Yes, yes, yes!
I'm a bit of a sucker for the upper-class. Sounds stupid, and I'll defend the working classes until I'm blue in the face, but give me a Mr. Rochester and I'm all weak at the knees. I think it's partly the arrogance... :colondollar:

My biggest obssession though has got to be the progression through to the 'Bright Young Things'. By all accounts they were wasteful, arrogant and petty but still, it looked fun. I think if I had to go back to any time though, it would have to be 1905-1913 and meet all of the Grantchester Set and the Bloomsbury Group. What I would give to skinny-dip with Rupert Brooke and Virginia Woolf...

I think though, although I would love to travel back in time I don't think I would be able to live there for very long. I'm always saying that I'd love to go back and meet Elizabeth Tudor, or the Bronte sisters, but I'm damn sure I wouldn't like not having a shower/bath everyday and I don't think being a vegetarian would've been well-suited then! Same with the 1900-1920 era - I love anything to do with that kind of time, but I wouldn't like living during a war where so many people were killed, or the depression years after it.
Or live without a decent education as a woman. Or good hygiene. Or a good supply of books.

If I were to travel back in time I'd have to be a wealthy heiress living somewhere like Castle Howard. (Helloo Brideshead...) Hee hee :biggrin:

As for your point about speech, there's nothing wrong with Kenneth Williams! :-P
I've been told I talk like Keira Knightley since I first started secondary school, although I'm sure my laugh is more like Natalie Portman's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eX45Ce_MW8
Original post by Rascacielos
I belong with Mr Darcy (specifically the Colin Firth version). *sigh* :love:

I'm sure I'm more of a Rochester girl myself, although I wouldn't say no to a Colin-style Darcy either. :tongue:
Original post by Visions-of-Johanna
I'm sure I'm more of a Rochester girl myself, although I wouldn't say no to a Colin-style Darcy either. :tongue:

Ah, agreed. Both are perfectly acceptable. :wink:

I think it's because I like to think that I'm actually Elizabeth Bennet.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rascacielos
Ah, agreed. Both are perfectly acceptable. :wink:

I think it's because I like to think that I'm actually Elizabeth Bennet.

Ah, Miss Bennet! How nice to meet you. I'm Catherine Morland! :-P

I'm afraid that you're a bit more worldly than I am if that's the case...
Original post by Visions-of-Johanna
Ah, Miss Bennet! How nice to meet you. I'm Catherine Morland! :-P

I'm afraid that you're a bit more worldly than I am if that's the case...

Haha. Catherine Morland was a pretty cool character. But in all fairness, no woman can really beat Elizabeth!
Original post by somethingbeautiful
But when people say this they mean (most often) in terms of music, art, fashion, cuisine etc - I never hear anyone saying ''oh I'd love to have been alive in the 80's - all that Duran Duran and Thatcherism would have been great" or ''oh to be around in the 50's - Elvis and post war poverty - good times".

So yeah, people who feel like they're from a different era just have unconventional tastes in music/art etc - it's doesn't mean you'd really like to live in the conditions of certain decades. It just comes across as a bit naive and rose tinted to me.

Exactly. Strangely enough, Duran Duran are primarily the reason I'd want to have experienced some of the 80's, but the political climate of the time? No, thanks.
Reply 71
Of all eras, it's gotta be the 1960s...Mods and rockers era. I'm pretty sure I'd have been a mod. I've got quite a few 1960s-ish items of clothing, but I never get the chance to wear them, thanks to living in Essex. I'd look like a total plonker walking into the chav-filled bars wearing that stuff.
Mr Tilney for me - the kiss at the end of Northanger Abbey (2007 version) - SWOON :smile:
Reply 73
Bumping for more responses.

:holmes:
Reply 74
i'm still so in love with the 50s :wink:
sadly they didn't really make size 10 shoes then D':

lol i really need to find some shoes!
I've felt like this for years now, but as of late, the feeling is becoming much more intense, any by the looks of it, has no sign of slowing down.

I find myself wearing slacks and smart shoes more-or-less every day now, along with dress shirts, waistcoats and a hat. With the cold weather coming, the leather gloves, camel skin coats and scarves are being prepared well indeed. I can't wait!

Of course, I don't mean this only in the sense of attire, but a range of things. A person's dress is simply the most noticeable aspect of it all. My wardrobe is comprised almost exclusively of shirts, waistcoats, dress pants, jackets (some modern, for mixing it up) and a big bag of bow and neck-ties.

Anyone else? :smile:

I wish I was alive in that time period. Things were so much different, people respected each other and there was more class. Today its all teen pregnancies, being smashed is the cool thing etc. But I love to dress from that era, definitely influenced my style.

This is the time which is my favourite:

Quick Reply

Latest