The Student Room Group

Why is there more vertical erosion in the upper course of a river?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by MedicalMayhem
Coasts is alright, we've pretty much finished it, well...almost :tongue: Up to sand dunes/salt marshes, it isn't too bad - don't worry about it :smile: We're doing rivers/coasts at the same time (as we have two teachers).

ahh you're lucky, my school's sooo small, i have 4 people in my lessons (including me).. i wish we had 2 teachers, we could get through the syllabus so much quicker!

are you by any chancee doing unit 2 in january?
Original post by V95
ahh you're lucky, my school's sooo small, i have 4 people in my lessons (including me).. i wish we had 2 teachers, we could get through the syllabus so much quicker!

are you by any chancee doing unit 2 in january?

Ah, my school isn't huge (well 150 people in the year) and around 20 for geography :smile: We have almost 2 teachers for everything :redface: But are you just on rivers now then? Just curious, but how many lessons do you have a fortnight for geography?

Unfortunately not, all my modules are in June. Are you?
Reply 42
Ah, my school isn't huge (well 150 people in the year) and around 20 for geography :smile: We have almost 2 teachers for everything :redface: But are you just on rivers now then? Just curious, but how many lessons do you have a fortnight for geography?

Unfortunately not, all my modules are in June. Are you?

i have like 250 in my whole senior school :O and like 25 in sixth form LOL yelp just rivers - we have 16 - 8 every week (: my teacher's given me like 5 sources to revise from, so i need a separate bag just for geo ;\

We're doing all of them in June aswell! where are u gonna go to do the investigation part of unit 2?
Original post by V95
i have like 250 in my whole senior school :O and like 25 in sixth form LOL yelp just rivers - we have 16 - 8 every week (: my teacher's given me like 5 sources to revise from, so i need a separate bag just for geo ;\

We're doing all of them in June aswell! where are u gonna go to do the investigation part of unit 2?

Wow :O I have 800 ish. By any chance (sorry to generalise) but do you attend a private school? Ah, you have so many lessons! I only have 9, (1 hour sessions - same as you?). I only get 9 per subject (per fortnight...) :/ School day is 8:30-3:30, yours?
Reply 44
Wow :O I have 800 ish. By any chance (sorry to generalise) but do you attend a private school? Ah, you have so many lessons! I only have 9, (1 hour sessions - same as you?). I only get 9 per subject (per fortnight...) :/ School day is 8:30-3:30, yours?

ahhh yeah i do attend a private school - its an independent school! yeah we do, but you're still ahead of us!! lol we have 9 subjects a day, 40 mins each lesson from 9-4 :smile:
Original post by V95
ahhh yeah i do attend a private school - its an independent school! yeah we do, but you're still ahead of us!! lol we have 9 subjects a day, 40 mins each lesson from 9-4 :smile:

Haha, independent=private? Or is there a clear distinction that I'm missing? :redface: I just go to a grammar :tongue:

I guess we're a bit ahead I suppose, where are you up to for rivers? We're just doing meanders (and that bit...) and half of coasts :tongue: Wow, you have an hour of extra lessons :redface: We only have 5 lessons, so only spanning 5 hours. Double Biology tomorrow, great...we'll spend another lesson going off topic. Meant to be like 1/4 of the way through, yet we've covered 8 pages out of 90. :s-smilie:
Reply 46
Haha, independent=private? Or is there a clear distinction that I'm missing? :redface: I just go to a grammar :tongue:

I guess we're a bit ahead I suppose, where are you up to for rivers? We're just doing meanders (and that bit...) and half of coasts :tongue: Wow, you have an hour of extra lessons :redface: We only have 5 lessons, so only spanning 5 hours. Double Biology tomorrow, great...we'll spend another lesson going off topic. Meant to be like 1/4 of the way through, yet we've covered 8 pages out of 90. :s-smilie:

To be honest, i aint sure if they're diff. or the same lol, grammar school's are brill. i would love to have gone to one, they're at the same standard as private, and free x)

we've finished the main content, we're doing case studies now then for the next two weeks we're doing questions on rivers from past papers and other sources! sinuous meanders - my teacher told me that its good if you refer to the inside and outside as convex and concave, it sounds better lol, ill mention both though lol.

i find we have too many lessons, it gets a lot, tomorrow i have triple bio and triple chem - would have geo but he's on a d of e course :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: i hope we cover a lot in biology tomorrow, we just did dissection on friday, it was immense, we directed a heart and lungs :biggrin:
Original post by V95
To be honest, i aint sure if they're diff. or the same lol, grammar school's are brill. i would love to have gone to one, they're at the same standard as private, and free x)

we've finished the main content, we're doing case studies now then for the next two weeks we're doing questions on rivers from past papers and other sources! sinuous meanders - my teacher told me that its good if you refer to the inside and outside as convex and concave, it sounds better lol, ill mention both though lol.

i find we have too many lessons, it gets a lot, tomorrow i have triple bio and triple chem - would have geo but he's on a d of e course :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: i hope we cover a lot in biology tomorrow, we just did dissection on friday, it was immense, we directed a heart and lungs :biggrin:

Yeah our school is pretty good :biggrin: Amazing GCSEs, with so-so A levels :rolleyes:

Ah I guess we're on par (kind of) with you then. Though is there a lot more about meanders? Yeah we were taught about concave/convex too! And for constructive waves, we were told they are swell, and sea waves are destructive (just for your coasts :biggrin:). We've just done a ppq for coasts :smile:

I think 1hr lesson structures (personally) are better. As you can't really do much in 40 minutes can you? :O Triple subjects?? Like consecutively? I have double Biology tomorrow, but with two different teachers. Are all three biology's taught by the same teacher?

I did a dissection on Friday too (what a coincedence!). Except we only dissected a lamb's heart, was amazing though! The heart's anatomy really is fascinating, seeing the bicuspid/tricuspid valves, septum, apex... :rolleyes: Lungs must've been even more immense :tongue:
Reply 48
Yeah our school is pretty good :biggrin: Amazing GCSEs, with so-so A levels :rolleyes:

Ah I guess we're on par (kind of) with you then. Though is there a lot more about meanders? Yeah we were taught about concave/convex too! And for constructive waves, we were told they are swell, and sea waves are destructive (just for your coasts :biggrin:). We've just done a ppq for coasts :smile:

I think 1hr lesson structures (personally) are better. As you can't really do much in 40 minutes can you? :O Triple subjects?? Like consecutively? I have double Biology tomorrow, but with two different teachers. Are all three biology's taught by the same teacher?

I did a dissection on Friday too (what a coincedence!). Except we only dissected a lamb's heart, was amazing though! The heart's anatomy really is fascinating, seeing the bicuspid/tricuspid valves, septum, apex... :rolleyes: Lungs must've been even more immense :tongue:

About to say, i was thinking i haven't covered waves then i saw thats part of coasts xD

We actually get a lot done in 40 minutes - we don't usually have single periods, they're mostly double or triple with the same teacher lol we only get a 10 min break in the middle ;( i have triple chem before lunch then triple bio after lunch :angry:

Omg, yeahh i found the heart really interesting, we cut it in such a way that we could see the valve and also, we put water in the heart and we saw how it just stayed there, it was sooo cool! my teacher also shows us how stung the tendons are, the hung like a 3 kg weight off of it and it never broke, i was shocked.

lungs were cool - we cut along the trachea and saw the bonchi and bronchioles, but i preferred the heart :P we also pumped air into the lungs to see how much they would inflate, ours was lambs heart/lungs too :biggrin:
Original post by V95
About to say, i was thinking i haven't covered waves then i saw thats part of coasts xD

We actually get a lot done in 40 minutes - we don't usually have single periods, they're mostly double or triple with the same teacher lol we only get a 10 min break in the middle ;( i have triple chem before lunch then triple bio after lunch :angry:

Omg, yeahh i found the heart really interesting, we cut it in such a way that we could see the valve and also, we put water in the heart and we saw how it just stayed there, it was sooo cool! my teacher also shows us how stung the tendons are, the hung like a 3 kg weight off of it and it never broke, i was shocked.

lungs were cool - we cut along the trachea and saw the bonchi and bronchioles, but i preferred the heart :P we also pumped air into the lungs to see how much they would inflate, ours was lambs heart/lungs too :biggrin:

Haha :tongue: Yeah we've just finished coasts now, doing a bit of revision with case studies and shall go onto population soon :smile: Shame our exam isn't in January! :rolleyes:

Ah, well in some of our 'not so good lessons' we spend like 10 minutes to 'get ready'. But 1 hour is great for us, with a 5 minute break between lessons :smile: Wow, that would've shocked me too :eek: Is that even possible?!

That does sound cool, slight bit of jealousy :wink: So how were your triple lessons? I had double biology where we covered some stuff on phospholipid bilayers which were good, and some stuff on risk :redface: Oh and some more differentiation in maths (yay!) :tongue: How about you?
Reply 50
Haha :tongue: Yeah we've just finished coasts now, doing a bit of revision with case studies and shall go onto population soon :smile: Shame our exam isn't in January! :rolleyes:

Ah, well in some of our 'not so good lessons' we spend like 10 minutes to 'get ready'. But 1 hour is great for us, with a 5 minute break between lessons :smile: Wow, that would've shocked me too :eek: Is that even possible?!

That does sound cool, slight bit of jealousy :wink: So how were your triple lessons? I had double biology where we covered some stuff on phospholipid bilayers which were good, and some stuff on risk :redface: Oh and some more differentiation in maths (yay!) :tongue: How about you?

I'm really dreading coasts ;'( population doesn't seem to bad - we covered most of it at gcse :biggrin:

a 10 min break in a triple is not enough for me! today was honestly sooo long, we covered heart today - did risk a couple of weeks ago, its not too bad, we aint covered what you just covered lol, its just confused me xD

Maths is soo log, i hate it atm ;[ we're only doing translating graphs!
Original post by V95
I'm really dreading coasts ;'( population doesn't seem to bad - we covered most of it at gcse :biggrin:

a 10 min break in a triple is not enough for me! today was honestly sooo long, we covered heart today - did risk a couple of weeks ago, its not too bad, we aint covered what you just covered lol, its just confused me xD

Maths is soo log, i hate it atm ;[ we're only doing translating graphs!

Coasts really isn't too bad, probably easier than rivers really :/ Yeah same, I'd love a 15 marker on the one child policy ;P So easy to get marks from that :smile:

Mmh, seems too short for me :/ You're only just covering the heart? :l That was the first thing that we did, and now we're doing risk+phospholipids :smile: (two different teachers). There really isn't much content at all for risk is there?

:O You're doing logarithms?? For maths? :L We're just doing differentiation, how are you doing things that complex? :redface:
Reply 52
Coasts really isn't too bad, probably easier than rivers really :/ Yeah same, I'd love a 15 marker on the one child policy ;P So easy to get marks from that :smile:

Mmh, seems too short for me :/ You're only just covering the heart? :l That was the first thing that we did, and now we're doing risk+phospholipids :smile: (two different teachers). There really isn't much content at all for risk is there?

:O You're doing logarithms?? For maths? :L We're just doing differentiation, how are you doing things that complex? :redface:

Yeah one child policy's pretty easy - a lot of advantages and disadvantages to it!

yeah we are - we've only covered that, lungs and then simple things like risk and pathogens! we're really slow.

no, we aint doing them lol, just translating using the f(x) rules!
Hi, I've just started AS geography, and was just reading the textbook and wasn't sure to why this happened.

Why is there more vertical erosion in the upper course, and more lateral erosion in the lower course?

oh god. reading the textbook... that can be a teachers worst nightmare, even though it shows you are keen it is far better to read a geog mag than the textbook.

Have you done the topic? If not it will be covered. I have only read the OPs post btw.
Original post by clareramos
oh god. reading the textbook... that can be a teachers worst nightmare, even though it shows you are keen it is far better to read a geog mag than the textbook.

Have you done the topic? If not it will be covered. I have only read the OPs post btw.

Yes I have done the topic, but it's only something that the teacher said, but didn't explain. So I was wondering exactly why there would be more vertical erosion in the upper course, could you explain this please?
Original post by V95
Yeah one child policy's pretty easy - a lot of advantages and disadvantages to it!

yeah we are - we've only covered that, lungs and then simple things like risk and pathogens! we're really slow.

no, we aint doing them lol, just translating using the f(x) rules!

We don't do pathogens in our unit ;D But we do do different exam boards though, whcih does make sense :biggrin:

Oh! Sorry, must've been a typo, but isn't that GCSE stuff essentially?
Reply 56
We don't do pathogens in our unit ;D But we do do different exam boards though, whcih does make sense :biggrin:

Oh! Sorry, must've been a typo, but isn't that GCSE stuff essentially?

oh yeah, i forgot we're on diff. boards xD

Yepp it is gcse stuff xD we're soooo slow, but my school wants us to take maths in june swell so we'll be taking c1 c2 and s1, so maybe thats why we're going soo slow!
Original post by V95
oh yeah, i forgot we're on diff. boards xD

Yepp it is gcse stuff xD we're soooo slow, but my school wants us to take maths in june swell so we'll be taking c1 c2 and s1, so maybe thats why we're going soo slow!

:s-smilie: That's worrying with the sheer amount of modules you have! But some people who 'fast tracked' further maths, have c1,c2,m1,s1 in january :s-smilie: But I've got biology, chemistry, maths and CT in january :s-smilie: 4 exams in 3 days :l
Reply 58
:s-smilie: That's worrying with the sheer amount of modules you have! But some people who 'fast tracked' further maths, have c1,c2,m1,s1 in january :s-smilie: But I've got biology, chemistry, maths and CT in january :s-smilie: 4 exams in 3 days :l

Oh my, i feel for their lives! I'm probe only gonna have bio and chem - june will be sooo longggg!!
Original post by V95
Oh my, i feel for their lives! I'm probe only gonna have bio and chem - june will be sooo longggg!!

Ah that means your January won't be 'too' bad then :smile: But your June on the other hand... :colone:

Yeah I've got a friend complaining about it, as he came from a different secondary school and now he has to self-teach C1 (as he's doing further) and C2,M1,S1 in class.. Why can't our GCSEs be the gateway to Uni... :rolleyes:

How were you subjects today anyway? Any triple, or even quadruple subjects? :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending