I don't do English literature.
bananaterracottapie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by VQG)
I don't do English literature.
after reading the title why on earth did you decide to have a look at the thread then. creep.
MadMike457
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I do AQA Lit B... half way through the course so far, got an A for AS, hopefully get the same for A2.

It's not too bad, the books/literature you study is okay, if you have any specific questions I can answer you.
Kalliope
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I :love: AQA
VQG
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bananaterracottapie)
after reading the title why on earth did you decide to have a look at the thread then. creep.
Because I wanted to tell the OP I don't do English Literature.

+ You looked a bit lonely as nobody had commented for 3 hours so I thought I'd give it a little bump. Talk about being ungrateful...
Beth1234
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BookWormShanti)
I :love: AQA
I second this! (I did AQA A and loved it!)

I've heard horror stories about the OCR English syllabus.
meganerd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am currently doing AQA Lit B at A2 and I didn't like AS mainly because of the text I did ('God of Small Things') plus I am starting to despise AQA because they marked our exam for lit so harshly; loads of people who were predicted A's got C's and D's and I don't think we were the only school this happened to with this exam :/ sorry to confuse you!
Beth1234
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by meganerd)
I am currently doing AQA Lit B at A2 and I didn't like AS mainly because of the text I did ('God of Small Things') plus I am starting to despise AQA because they marked our exam for lit so harshly; loads of people who were predicted A's got C's and D's and I don't think we were the only school this happened to with this exam :/ sorry to confuse you!
Perhaps your teacher wasn't quite up to scratch? (No offence intended - it's just that we had two english classes - my class had a great teacher, and everyone met their target - many of those who were predicted B's and C's ended up with A's. On the other hand, the other class has a less good teacher, and quite a few people got below their target grade.)
meganerd
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No offence taken, as this was the conclusion I jumped to at first, but our year was divided into two classes as well, with each class having two teachers, so I felt in the end I couldn't really blame them (as much as I kinda wanted to :P)
Beth1234
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by meganerd)
No offence taken, as this was the conclusion I jumped to at first, but our year was divided into two classes as well, with each class having two teachers, so I felt in the end I couldn't really blame them (as much as I kinda wanted to :P)
Hmm...

Well, I suppose that this concludes that AQA Eng Lit A is by far the best exam board! :yep:
Endless Blue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Beth1234)
I second this! (I did AQA A and loved it!)

I've heard horror stories about the OCR English syllabus.
Uh-oh, I may be doing English Lit A level and I would imagine it would be on OCR because that's the board we're on for GCSE. Seriously considering swapping for Biology now. What exactly have you heard?:eek:
sara :D
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well our schools been using AQA all this time, but last year they messed up pretty bad. People who were predicted A's ended up with D's and C's. Apparently this happened to many other schools too. So we switched this year, and we're on OCR now :P
Beth1234
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by benpearson1)
Uh-oh, I may be doing English Lit A level and I would imagine it would be on OCR because that's the board we're on for GCSE. Seriously considering swapping for Biology now. What exactly have you heard?:eek:
Sorry for the late reply, but this thread been's dead for a while!

I wouldn't worry too much about exam board if I were you, and I hope an exam board won't put off you a subject. I loved A-level English Literature on AQA (this is coming from someone who absolutely hated the GCSE) and I'm very sure that I would have loved it no less, and done just as well in it, had I done it on OCR. At the end of the day, I think the courses are more alike than they are different, and rumors are just rumors after all!
Gawjuz.x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In my opinion, never ever do English Lit from Edexcel. It's unbelievably demanding and awfully hard unless you're doing Eng Lit & Language. I wish our school offered AQA
TheatreLovely
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
AQA specification is really good, the AOs can be annoying but when you think about what they actually ask, they do ask for all of the things that you need to write a good analysis of a piece of literature (language analysis, context and alternative readings). The exam marking can be erratic, but usually turns out alright at the end of A2. (the last bit is what my teacher told us by the way)
Beth1234
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TheatreLovely)
AQA specification is really good, the AOs can be annoying but when you think about what they actually ask, they do ask for all of the things that you need to write a good analysis of a piece of literature (language analysis, context and alternative readings). The exam marking can be erratic, but usually turns out alright at the end of A2. (the last bit is what my teacher told us by the way)
I agree with this

And - the AO's are actually identical across all three main Exam Boards. All that varies is the "theme" you study, and various restrictions they have on choice of coursework texts.
charlotteboulton28
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
AQA LITB is THE WORST EXAM BOARD TO BE WITH.
i'm not sure what LITA is like, but LITB is awful. our school, and lots of schools around our area are changing because they've experienced so many problems recently...
dorababy1995
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned WJEC. Does anyone have any experience with WJEC English literature? I'm asking this because that's what Truro College offers.
pseudonymegg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is no 'best' board... they're all evil!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads