Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I often write notes for different subjects , I read over them a few times. Then when I have to answer a question on them. I can't remember anything and my mind goes blank.
    Or I can't remember it in as good detail even though I do know the answer I just can't think of it at the time..

Before I was just writing them not really highlighting important parts just reading.

Is this a good way to write notes by writing them then highlighting/underlining all of the important information? Keeping all of the notes in folders sorted by subject.
    Should I try and turn the page over and write everything I remember on whatever I'm studying until I can write out all of the note which I've written?

I'm just wondering I don't want to mess this year up as I did last year I think mainly I didn't study effectively . I have to make it to university this year.

Any other ways to remember the notes?

ReputationRep:
    99 views and no help? I sent you a message

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysteriouschic)
    I often write notes for different subjects , I read over them a few times. Then when I have to answer a question on them. I can't remember anything and my mind goes blank.
    Or I can't remember it in as good detail even though I do know the answer I just can't think of it at the time..

Before I was just writing them not really highlighting important parts just reading.

Is this a good way to write notes by writing them then highlighting/underlining all of the important information? Keeping all of the notes in folders sorted by subject.
    Should I try and turn the page over and write everything I remember on whatever I'm studying until I can write out all of the note which I've written?

I'm just wondering I don't want to mess this year up as I did last year I think mainly I didn't study effectively . I have to make it to university this year.

Yeah I think you could try condensing your notes, highlight key words and then when you spot the word, you should be able to talk about it like what it is? Key aspects? ADV&DISADV etc.. That way your not revising everything on the page as it is written out. When your trying to cite what you have remembered you should try and say it in your own words
    There are many ways to help with revising notes, I think it really depends on what type of learner you are

ReputationRep:
    Rather than just reading over your notes, it's much more effective to do something practical with them. So read over your notes and then do a practice paper. And continue this process until you're more confident.

The funny thing is, you might go into the exam hall thinking "oh dear, I can't remember anything!" but as soon as you open the exam paper, the question triggers your memory. And as you write, things should start flooding back to you.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I print loads of past papers off, read the first question, look up how to answer it, write notes on how to answer it, answer it without looking at the notes, read the actual answer, then add to my notes whatever I missed. Continue with every question = winner.

ReputationRep:

Yes highlighting is a good way of getting the important parts of a paragraph to stand out. From personal experience when i used to highlight the whole paragraph, you should only highlight a few important words and then you actually will find the rest easier to remember, but make sure it’s just the important parts.

I found it really useful to write revision notes on post-it notes and then stick them up all around the house. Then every time you walk into a room...you'll see the notes and remember them better. You should put them in places which you'll see them lots most days and it’s worth the mess in your bedroom or wherever you put them if you find your revision notes easier to remember

I also recorded myself reading my revision notes (despite hating the sound of my own voice when it’s recorded xD) and then listened to them whilst going to sleep or walking to college. It means you won’t have to carry around all your notes if its saved on your ipod/mp3 and no one would actually realise you’re revising.

Hope this is somewhat helpful, it’s certainly helped me and good luck with revision!

ReputationRep:
    I think u should use revision books for each subject to exchange notes and write them down. Highlight the key words, not the definition, then write your topic on flash cards. If u have a test, use those flash cards to practise before the exam. Go over it and re-read it. If u try and say them in a funny accent, it will help u remember the subject because u said it In a funny way. Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voodoobytutu)
    I think u should use revision books for each subject to exchange notes and write them down. Highlight the key words, not the definition, then write your topic on flash cards. If u have a test, use those flash cards to practise before the exam. Go over it and re-read it. If u try and say them in a funny accent, it will help u remember the subject because u said it In a funny way. Hope this helped
    You are just a little bit late here

ReputationRep:
    Hi

ReputationRep:

I used to be the same but what I do now is do past papers
    do loads of past papers using the notes
    say for chemistry do a paper with the notes then mark it, then after a while do the same paper but go through answering the questions you know. keep doing this till you do not use any of your notes and get a good mark. Trust me this works!!

ReputationRep:
    I read over them like 10 times then answer questions on them and get someone to test you.

ReputationRep:
    Now I am in the same boat )

ReputationRep:
    we learn much more by being active. Only reading - and even highlighting - is too passive.
    So try flashcards and braindumps (writing everything you remember without checking notes). You will only memorise things if you bring them back to mind on your own (instead of reading from a piece of paper).
    Quizlet and Seneca Learning are really good for this because they are free and you can try hundreds of practice questions.

good luck!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.