The Student Room Group

UCL - engineering with business finance PS HELP!!

I am interested in applying for the course of engineering with business finance but dont know how i should write my Personal statment. Can people help me out? Anyone study this subject and care to show me their PS or any sample PS for this subject? please help me as this subject is in UCL and 2 other places.
Thanks
Don't bother doing engineering with business/finance/management because it's seen as a watered down degree by industry.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
Don't bother doing engineering with business/finance/management because it's seen as a watered down degree by industry.

what do you mean watered down degree? Any refrences? do you study it?
Original post by sax100
what do you mean watered down degree? Any refrences? do you study it?

No I don't and would not study engineering with business or finance.

By watered down I mean that industry does not consider the degree as well as a straight engineering degree, and my references is my time in industry, careers talks, talks with employers and employees.

Basically, there is no reason to study it as it will not in any way help you go down the business or finance route compared to those who did straight engineering degrees.
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
No I don't and would not study engineering with business or finance.

By watered down I mean that industry does not consider the degree as well as a straight engineering degree, and my references is my time in industry, careers talks, talks with employers and employees.

Basically, there is no reason to study it as it will not in any way help you go down the business or finance route compared to those who did straight engineering degrees.

How can that be only UCL offer this course and UCL is like a top uni. would they really offer a crap degree?
Original post by sax100
How can that be only UCL offer this course and UCL is like a top uni. would they really offer a crap degree?

Lots of universities offer engineering with business/management/finance degrees. No-one said it's crap, it's just not as well regarded by industry as a straight engineering degree and there is absolutely no reason to even study it.
Reply 6
Original post by Smack
Lots of universities offer engineering with business/management/finance degrees. No-one said it's crap, it's just not as well regarded by industry as a straight engineering degree and there is absolutely no reason to even study it.

this course i checked on ucas and only UCL is offering. Well cant you study it to go either into engineering or into finance?
Original post by sax100
this course i checked on ucas and only UCL is offering. Well cant you study it to go either into engineering or into finance?

You can go into finance with any degree, but seeing as it's considered a weaker degree by industry it will reduce your chances of getting an engineering job.
Reply 8
Original post by Smack
You can go into finance with any degree, but seeing as it's considered a weaker degree by industry it will reduce your chances of getting an engineering job.

Oh ok i see... Is this most engineering companies or just the top.

If i dont do this what other degrees would you recommend in this line of field?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending