The Student Room Group

I don't seem to feel heat like others...

Hello,

Over the years, I've noticed that people have being saying how hot they are in a classroom for example, and desperately wanting the windows open. However, I usually do not feel such heat and sit comfortably at room temperature. I've thought nothing of it over the years, but recently it's been frequent and it's got me thinking. Why don't I feel the heat as much as others? I've felt the heat as of recently but only when I've been outside and it's been extremely hot. I also don't mind the cold as much as others however I'm not so sure of this.

Any idea what's going on? It really does seem everyone else is really hot in classrooms, and I feel absolutely fine.

Scroll to see replies

It may mean your blood vessels are far away from your skin.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

Over the years, I've noticed that people have being saying how hot they are in a classroom for example, and desperately wanting the windows open. However, I usually do not feel such heat and sit comfortably at room temperature. I've thought nothing of it over the years, but recently it's been frequent and it's got me thinking. Why don't I feel the heat as much as others? I've felt the heat as of recently but only when I've been outside and it's been extremely hot. I also don't mind the cold as much as others however I'm not so sure of this.

Any idea what's going on? It really does seem everyone else is really hot in classrooms, and I feel absolutely fine.

Hey :smile:

Everyone has different thresholds as to when they feel hot, like when im boiling I have a mate who is totally fine. You could just be over thinking things?? When someone ''asks to open the window'' in a classroom you might think everyone is hot by agreeing but most are just like yeah for the sake of it!

However if you actually feel colder when its hot or you think that there is something wrong, just visit your GP just to put your mind at rest!

Is that you? :holmes:
Reply 4
I'm fairly insensitive to heat too and quite sensitive to cold.
Reply 5
I'm a bit like that.

My normal body temp is hot, it always has been haha, but I usually feel fine.
I don't really feel hot/cold like other people do either, it's probably just because your body is just wired up a bit differently xD
It's nothing to worry about :smile: Like other have said, everyone just has a different threshold for heat and cold. Unless you have a fever or something, where your body's perception of temperature gets messed up, you're fine :smile: Just be happy that when your friends are dying in a hot classroom, you can still pay attention perfectly! :tongue:
Cold doesn't bother me at all... Can't wait for the cold weather tbf, everyone will be in jumpers while I stroll past in t shirt

I don't mind heat either though, I lived in Spain where it was 40 degrees every summer :rolleyes:

I don't understand it
inb4 hypothyroidism.
Reply 9
I wish I was like that.

I became a pathetic wailing mess of heat and despair and end up flopping around everywhere when the temperature creeps up into the mid 20s. :frown:
Reply 10
i don't feel the cold, been out in -2 in just a shirt, but as soon as it gets close to 20 and im melting, it sucks
Reply 11
Original post by najinaji
I'm fairly insensitive to heat too and quite sensitive to cold.

:ditto:
I'm similar, I have a very high tolerance for temperatures. I think in part it's my family genes (I have olive skin and tan well) and I've also ridden motorcycles in **** weather for about a decade. I can deal with sub zero windchill for hours on end when my hands and feet have lost all feeling without much discomfort or loss of control. I think it's partly physical and partly mental. After that sorta torture, it being 'a bit chilly' doesn't register.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

If you are very concerned, try explaining it to the doctor. I personally think it is normal.
Try sitting on a turned-on hob and see if it hurts. If it does, you're good.
Reply 15
I work at Waitrose and quite often have to spend an hour or more in the 1 degree Celsius chiller, sorting out stock. We are supposed to wear these big coats but I find I manage just fine in just my shirt. I hardly feel cold but I don't like hot conditions that much, give me snow over sun anyday!!!

But basically what I am saying is people have just have different thresholds of comfort when it comes to heat (Or lack of it) it doesn't make you weird or anything :smile:
I'm exactly the same way. Everyone was sweltering at work and I strolled in with a thick woolly jumper on and for once felt quite a decent temperature. :/
Do you also find that you have a general inability to feel pain or have a really high threshold for it? If so, you could have a variant of "Congenital insensitivity to pain with anhidrosis", which is a rare hereditary disease. I actually saw it on a show once, where this little girl had burnt both of her hands off becasue her parents were gone and she'd placed her hands on a hot stove for an extended period of time, completely unable to feel it burning her. You should look into that and perhaps see your GP is it sounds right, because whilst you may not be able to feel the heat or cold, it doesn't not mean that your body is not overheating or cooling, and experience subsequent cell damage that attends to both conditions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
You are skinny and are iron deficient?
Or your blood vessels are too responsive and contract when its too cold and are ok when its warm.

I'm usually cold. >.<
Reply 19
Same, cold too. I seem to stay at a pretty constant temperature. Knowing me it's some disorder but it's a handy one. :awesome:

Latest