The Student Room Group

Carrying on when I'm really unhappy!

Such a messed up situation! I wasn't really happy in my first year for many reasons so applied for another uni. Was really happy when I got accepted and thought I could finally be happy.. but no stupid me thought I would miss my friends from uni too much and didn't want to be 'weak' so I came back for my second year but now I'm really unhappy.

There's nobody I can really talk to about it. If I say anything to my mum or dad they will probably just have a go at me and say I could have left when I had the chance and that I'm being stupid. And I can't talk to friends in uni because they wouldn't understand.

It was easy to drop out at the end of first year because I didn't have to face anyone, everybody was moving out anyway. But to drop out now would be really humiliating because I would have to move out a month in to uni and everybody would notice.. people would notice I wasn't in lectures and I would have to tell my friends all over again.

The friends that I thought I would miss if I left hardly speak to me now.. we just seem to have drifted. I feel like I've come back for things that aren't even here.

I know it's probably too late to transfer to the other uni I had an offer for as well. I could try phoning but if there was a chance I could transfer I would probably have to go straight away. Also so many reasons why I should stay here like I've got nice flatmates who I can develop friendships with and met new people on my course.

One day I think I can manage to stick it out, and the next I'm thinking 'Why have I done this to myself, I wasn't happy last year so what makes me think I'll be happy this year?'

But I feel that I have no choice but to carry on. I'm going to carry on and still be unhappy for the next two years when I had the chance to start fresh!
Sounds to me that it's just uni you don't like. Maybe a career in Mcdonalds would be good for you?
Reply 2
Original post by The_resurrection
Sounds to me that it's just uni you don't like. Maybe a career in Mcdonalds would be good for you?

I want to study and get a degree I just want to be happy whilst doing it. No point in giving advice if it's just going to be sarcastic also there's a lot more you can do if you don't want to go to uni.
Reply 3
Original post by BabyGirl92
Such a messed up situation! I wasn't really happy in my first year for many reasons so applied for another uni. Was really happy when I got accepted and thought I could finally be happy.. but no stupid me thought I would miss my friends from uni too much and didn't want to be 'weak' so I came back for my second year but now I'm really unhappy.

There's nobody I can really talk to about it. If I say anything to my mum or dad they will probably just have a go at me and say I could have left when I had the chance and that I'm being stupid. And I can't talk to friends in uni because they wouldn't understand.

It was easy to drop out at the end of first year because I didn't have to face anyone, everybody was moving out anyway. But to drop out now would be really humiliating because I would have to move out a month in to uni and everybody would notice.. people would notice I wasn't in lectures and I would have to tell my friends all over again.

The friends that I thought I would miss if I left hardly speak to me now.. we just seem to have drifted. I feel like I've come back for things that aren't even here.

I know it's probably too late to transfer to the other uni I had an offer for as well. I could try phoning but if there was a chance I could transfer I would probably have to go straight away. Also so many reasons why I should stay here like I've got nice flatmates who I can develop friendships with and met new people on my course.

One day I think I can manage to stick it out, and the next I'm thinking 'Why have I done this to myself, I wasn't happy last year so what makes me think I'll be happy this year?'

But I feel that I have no choice but to carry on. I'm going to carry on and still be unhappy for the next two years when I had the chance to start fresh!

:frown: Sorry to hear that. BUT you should never make decisions based on others. Because others, no matter who, even your best friend come and go and only you will be left behind...I say just stick with it..will make you a stronger person by the time you finish uni.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I want to study and get a degree I just want to be happy whilst doing it. No point in giving advice if it's just going to be sarcastic also there's a lot more you can do if you don't want to go to uni.

There is always that one person that has to be negative. Just ignore him.
Reply 5
Original post by G_S
:frown: Sorry to hear that. BUT you should never make decisions based on others. Because others, no matter who, even your best friend come and go and only you will be left behind...I say just stick with it..will make you a stronger person by the time you finish uni.

Aw thanks for the advice :smile:

I'm glad I'm back in a way because I can stick at my course and I've been meeting new people and joining things. I am determined to make my own friends and not only be friends of friends to people. But it turns out one of my friends from last year is no longer talking to me and is making really bitchy comments on facebook because I didn't sit with her in a lecture. I never got the impression she really cared about me before like she NEVER invited me out or to do anything so I don't see why she has taken offence so easily. All these stupid little things make me want to drop out again but I'm trying not to let it bother me! :smile: And yeah I do think I will be stronger because I can say I can stick it out, instead of being a drop out and I can actually get where I want to be!

I think I remember you... Did it also involve switching the course?
Reply 7
Original post by TheSownRose
I think I remember you... Did it also involve switching the course?

Yeah I'm doing the course I want to be doing but am just hating being back here..
Feel like there is nothing for me here and I just regret coming back. One minute I feel like I'll get through it and try and be happy and the next I just feel like I can't cope here and have done the stupidest thing ever by coming back!
Yeah I'm doing the course I want to be doing but am just hating being back here..
Feel like there is nothing for me here and I just regret coming back. One minute I feel like I'll get through it and try and be happy and the next I just feel like I can't cope here and have done the stupidest thing ever by coming back!

Remember you don't have to stay even now.

What made you decide to go back?
Tbh I don't think it's that big a deal. I did a course I couldn't cope with, didn't make a single friend and regularly considered suicide for 3 years but in the end you're there for one reason only so you can probably suck it up and stick it out to get your degree if you put your mind to it.
Reply 10
Original post by Sabertooth
Tbh I don't think it's that big a deal. I did a course I couldn't cope with, didn't make a single friend and regularly considered suicide for 3 years but in the end you're there for one reason only so you can probably suck it up and stick it out to get your degree if you put your mind to it.

I'm not suicidal. I just want to be happy where I am and I'm trying.. I thought it would be better in second year, been back a month and it's not much better than before. I am trying to make it better, but I feel like I will get to the end of uni and look back and realised it could have been so much better if I'd followed my head and moved unis.. not my heart to be with friends I'm not even friends with anymore.
I'm not suicidal. I just want to be happy where I am and I'm trying.. I thought it would be better in second year, been back a month and it's not much better than before. I am trying to make it better, but I feel like I will get to the end of uni and look back and realised it could have been so much better if I'd followed my head and moved unis.. not my heart to be with friends I'm not even friends with anymore.

I know you're not. I'm just sayin', it's 3 years, you're there for a degree so your happiness isn't the 100% most important thing in the world.

At least in my experience.
Reply 12
Original post by TheSownRose
Remember you don't have to stay even now.

What made you decide to go back?

I feel like I have to stay now because I've given up my place on the other course, I went into clearing through UCAS so somebody else got the place. And they probably wanted it more to be honest!

And I don't know what I'd do with my life without a degree/uni. I want to be a teacher so I need one.

What made me decide to go back.. getting my degree quicker and then being able to do a postgrad because of the 4 years funding. I wanted to be with the friends I made in my first year, but to be honest I've seen what they are really like now.. bitches so I don't want to be with them anymore and just the fact that there are way more opportunities round here than in rural north wales where there is nothing!
Reply 13
Original post by Sabertooth
I know you're not. I'm just sayin', it's 3 years, you're there for a degree so your happiness isn't the 100% most important thing in the world.

At least in my experience.

I came to uni not only for a degree but to meet people and have fun, I feel like I'm not getting that. I've tried I've joined loads of clubs in my second year which is hard for a second year to do. I even have plenty of friends.. but I never feel happy!

so you're gonna put what other people think of you before your own happiness? bad way to go through life in my opinion.
Reply 15
If you feel really unhappy about being at that uni, it will most likely effect your grades. I would highly suggest moving unis if you feel this unhappy about it. It's your education, not anyone elses, you should do whats best for you, not what you feel other people want.
In my experience, if you seek happiness you'll never find it, it is always fashionable late. I would just try to remember why you chose your choice and invoke the passion of the career you want to motivate yourself, if you feel like that will be useful. Its hard to give practical advice if you not willing to share the reasons why you hate your current uni, which i respect. Just think to yourself, do i want to move because its easier or because they realistically cant in a million years be fixed. Also if you feel like your in the right place to in your head, write off the relationships and experiences you had in your first and say that was crap im going to do this, that and thingy different and im going to be really happy for it. I hope that im not being to vague and things get better for you, make friends with the lovely people in your new flate and on your course that you describe maybe :smile:.
Reply 17
Aw thanks for the advice :smile:

I'm glad I'm back in a way because I can stick at my course and I've been meeting new people and joining things. I am determined to make my own friends and not only be friends of friends to people. But it turns out one of my friends from last year is no longer talking to me and is making really bitchy comments on facebook because I didn't sit with her in a lecture. I never got the impression she really cared about me before like she NEVER invited me out or to do anything so I don't see why she has taken offence so easily. All these stupid little things make me want to drop out again but I'm trying not to let it bother me! :smile: And yeah I do think I will be stronger because I can say I can stick it out, instead of being a drop out and I can actually get where I want to be!

That's the spirit!!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending