The Student Room Group

The Big Medicine UKCAT 2012 Entry Discussion, Advice and Results Thread Mk II

Poll

What was your average UKCAT score?

This OP is taken from the previous 2012 UKCAT thread which has reached the thread post count limit.
If you would like to see the old thread it can be found here

UKCAT 2011

Hopefully we can discuss the UKCAT hell we will all go through and be united, without conversation decending into crude sex jokes.

With major thanks to Hygeia who I basically just stole this info from 2010's thread which sadly I was a denizen of.

FAQ:

When should I sit the UKCAT?
A. Some important dates:
Registration opens: 03 May 2011 (bursary applications processed from this date)
Testing begins: 05 July 2011
Registration deadline: 23 Sept 2011 (bursary and exemption application deadline also this date)
Last testing date: 07 Oct 2011
UCAS application deadline: 15 Oct 2011
The exact date you sit the test is up to you, some people prefer to get it out of the way early so they know their score and can decide on where to apply from there. Others would rather wait until after they have their AS level results. Bear in mind that the price does go up at the start of September.
Please note: the UKCAT booking system only allows test slots to be allocated 90 days in advance. As it gets closer to the last testing date it may become very difficult to find a time to sit the test so book early.

Q: How much does it cost? [PRICES HAVE GONE UP THIS YEAR]
A. 05/07 31/08: £65 for those taking the test in the EU, £100 for other candidates
01/09 07/10: £80 for those taking the test in the EU, £100 for other candidates.
The price is the same regardless of whether you are taking the standard UKCAT or UKCATSEN.

Q: Do we need to put that we've done our UKCAT/or our score on UCAS?
A:There's no need. UKCAT will send your scores off to the universities you're applying to that need it.

Q: Do we get a calculator?
A:Yes. A simple on-screen calculator will be made available to you to assist you in the quantitative reasoning section. To access this you will need to click on the icon in the top left hand side of your screen. THIS HAS CHANGED FROM 2010 TEST. The calculator should look similar to this:

Q: Do we have anything to write on?
A: Yes. You will be given a double sided whiteboard with a special pen to write with. There is usually no eraser available so taking some tissues with you might be useful.

Q: When should we arrive at the test centre?
A: You should arrive at least fifteen minutes before the exam to go through the formalities and prove your identity.

Q: What should we bring to the test centre?
A: You should bring to the test centre a printout of the email that you were sent confirming your test registration as well as photographic identification (see the list on the UKCAT website).

Q: What is the average score?
A: The average score for each subtest is 600. Most candidates will score between 500-700. If your score isn't as good as you would like, it's not the end of the road. Some advice can be found in this thread

Q: Can we discuss the questions in the UKCAT once we've sat it?
A: No. You will sign something declaring that you agree not to.

Q: If I do badly can I take it again?
A: Nope, unfortunately not. You can only take the UKCAT once for each UCAS cycle so if you don't do as well as you'd have liked, you'll need to think carefully about where you are going to apply to.

Q: What book should I buy to practice from?
A: Various books have been recommended in the past:
Passing the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) and BMAT 2009, Taylor, Hutton and Hutton, Learning Matters Ltd, ISBN 1844452840
Get into Medical School - 600 UKCAT Practice Questions. Includes Full Mock Exam, comprehensive tips, techniques and explanations, Olivier Picard, Laetitia Tighlit, Sami Tighlit, and David Phillips, ISC Medical, ISBN 1905812094
How to Pass the UKCAT: Unbeatable Practice for Success in the 2009 United Kingdom Clinical Aptitude Test, Mike Byron and Jim Clayden, Kogan Page Ltd., ISBN 0749453338

BREAKDOWN OF TIMING

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi everyone, I haven't posted before but have been reading the forum for a while. It seems there's a lot of hear'say about what the UKCAT cut-offs were in previous years for various courses. This will not apply to everyone but I have today spoken to the admissions tutors and can give the following info:

For King's 4 year I was told "generally, any student with an average below 650 may be at a disadvantage". I would imagine that the 5 year course has a slightly lower cut-off but didn't ask.

Newcastle 5 year - cut off in 2009 = 612.5, 2010 = 650, 2011 = 667.5

Newcastle 4 year - cut off in 2009 = 682.5, 2010 = 685, 2011 = 690 (EDIT: another member of the board rang admissions and was given a figure of 702.5 which was then confirmed in an email, so 702.5 is likely correct)

Hope this is of use to some people. Personally I got 655 so I'm not sure if I'll be applying to any of these places - glad I knew this info before sending off my application!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
These are the averages...

What happens if one of the 4 sections was below these cut-offs, but your average is way above?

*e.g. I got 610 in VR
Reply 3
thanks for the info :smile:

Speaking of Kings, I noticed that the number of offers for 2011 entry is blank in the following table http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Competition_Ratios

I just spoke to them now and they informed me they made 650 offers. Didnt know where else to post this.
Reply 4
Original post by feverdream
Hi everyone, I haven't posted before but have been reading the forum for a while. It seems there's a lot of hear'say about what the UKCAT cut-offs were in previous years for various courses. This will not apply to everyone but I have today spoken to the admissions tutors and can give the following info:

For King's 4 year I was told "generally, any student with an average below 650 may be at a disadvantage". I would imagine that the 5 year course has a slightly lower cut-off but didn't ask.

Newcastle 4 year - cut off in 2009 = 682.5, 2010 = 685, 2011 = 690

Hope this is of use to some people. Personally I got 655 so I'm not sure if I'll be applying to any of these places - glad I knew this info before sending off my application!

I'm a graduate with a 2.1 in Biomedical Sciences and got 657 on my UKCAT. So, based on the scores you've posted, I don't really stand a chance with Newcastle for the 4 years one (or the 5 years even!) then? Not applying to Kings this year, as they don't seem to like me and they rose my hopes until May and then rejected me without offer! :frown:
Reply 5
Thanks for the info, i wonder what will happen to newc 4yr this year, hopefully it wont go up too much!
Reply 6
adsyrah:
As far as I'm aware they only look at your average so it wouldn't matter if one of your scores was below the cut-off - that is the nature of averages anyway! :-)

pdk:
The Newcastle admissions lady told me that obviously they don't set the cut-off until they've received all the applications, so technically it is possible that you and I would stand a chance. However the cut-off seems to have been going up every year so I'm probably not going to take a chance with the 4 year. I may take a chance with the 5 year but only because I am very limited in my choices anyway because I have no chem A level. Where else are you thinking of applying?
Reply 7

As far as I'm aware they only look at your average so it wouldn't matter if one of your scores was below the cut-off - that is the nature of averages anyway! :-)

Thanks for the reply. That's what I'd assumed, but I'd started to doubt myself :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8

Newcastle 4 year - cut off in 2009 = 682.5, 2010 = 685, 2011 = 690

This conflicts with what I was told that Newcastle's GEP cut off last year was 702.5.
Reply 9
Original post by Democracy
This conflicts with what I was told that Newcastle's GEP cut off last year was 702.5.

Oh dear, I wonder where they are getting the info from! I just rang the admissions number on the website today and that's what I was told.
Oh dear, I wonder where they are getting the info from! I just rang the admissions number on the website today and that's what I was told.

Yep, I did that too and got told 690. Then I emailed admissions to be sure andddddd...

The cut off score for the 5 year programme for 2010 was 2600 and for 2011 the cut off score was 2670.

The cut off score for the 4 year programme for 2010 was 2740 and for 2011 the cut off score was 2810.

We look at the UKCAT after the application has passed the Academic Screen. The Medical School determine a cut off score dependent on the scores achieved by all applicants in that year group. Those achieving the cut off score will be invited to interview. Once an applicant has been invited for interview, the UKCAT plays no further part in the admissions process. The cut off score will be made on the total scores from all sections - no section is given precedence.
So yeah, worth bearing in mind. There's definitely some crossed-wires over in Newcastle.
Reply 11
I'm defo subscribing this seeing as I wanna apply to both of the uni's mentioned! :biggrin:
Reply 12
admissions woman at newcastle said that they have an inital cut off score, which is then lowered later on in the applications cylce.
Reply 13
Oh wow, so UKCAT is just used for interview invites?

I'd assumed that they would revisit UKCAT scores after interviews too.
Reply 14
Original post by adsyrah
Oh wow, so UKCAT is just used for interview invites?

I'd assumed that they would revisit UKCAT scores after interviews too.

Some uni's actually use the UKCAT after interviews as opposed to before offering interviews. I can't remember which ones exactly though lol.
Reply 15
Hi guys. What was the international applicants' cutoff last year?
I have heard from the admissions lady at the international universities fair yesterday that they actually have seperate cut-offs for internationals compared to home/eu students.
Reply 16
Hi guys

Just done my UKCAT.

I got

VR - 610
QR - 750
AR - 690
DA - 730

AVG - 695.

Is this good? I got 2780.

Soton want around 2300. Kings graduate course want around 650 average (this apparently equates to top 25% so I am OK for both of these, is this right?

Is this an OK score?
How did you ever manage to get 750 in QR if you cannot calculate that 2780 is in fact bigger than 2300 and that 695 > 650..
Also to my understanding, yes it's a very good score :smile:
Original post by LexxieK
Hi guys

Just done my UKCAT.

I got

VR - 610
QR - 750
AR - 690
DA - 730

AVG - 695.

Is this good? I got 2780.

Soton want around 2300. Kings graduate course want around 650 average (this apparently equates to top 25% so I am OK for both of these, is this right?

Is this an OK score?

Realistically no-one gets into GKT GEP with a score of less than 710+

Check out last year's applicants:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2011_Entry#King.E2.80.99s_College_London

It's basically the most competitive grad course in the UK.
Reply 19
Original post by Democracy
Realistically no-one gets into GKT GEP with a score of less than 710+

Check out last year's applicants:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2011_Entry#King.E2.80.99s_College_London

It's basically the most competitive grad course in the UK.

Had a quick look through this and it says some people got offers with 645 695 667 etc. and I got 695? Called them today and they said I would be OK with 650 average - told them all my scores etc and they were happy with that?

Latest

Trending

Trending