The Student Room Group

Coping away from home?

I currently live in London & thinking about applying to unis out of London but not sure if I'd cope..

My family are saying that I should stay in London as I wouldnt be able to cope (mainly because I got lost once when using public transport, lol). But I think it's harder to get into uni in London and I might be able to actually get into a uni out of london.

How hard can it be? I mean, for someone like me that's terrible at using public transport and stuff like that lol :confused:
to start with... there are loads of universities in london... ranging from terrible to very very good, so there will be a uni you can get into...

next, why not consider a campus university? they are dotted around, and are universities that are all situated on one campus, and not spread around a city, so from your halls in first year, you will just be able to walk to everywhere, pretty quickly. That will give you a year to adjust, before you may want to move out in your second year.
Without wanting to sound harsh. One day, you will have to attempt to manage these things on your own so why not give it a shot whilst you're still young?

Original post by fallen_acorns
to start with... there are loads of universities in london... ranging from terrible to very very good, so there will be a uni you can get into...

next, why not consider a campus university? they are dotted around, and are universities that are all situated on one campus, and not spread around a city, so from your halls in first year, you will just be able to walk to everywhere, pretty quickly. That will give you a year to adjust, before you may want to move out in your second year.

This.

I opted for a campus University rather than one that's spread across a city, because they have a much better feel and I figured it help in adjusting away from home.

Besides, when you meet people in halls/accomodation, you may find someone that's worse than you at public transport. I know when I started, there were people with very few domestic skills at all (such as inability to use a washing machine or lacking the basic understanding of how to make a meal). There'll always be someone around to help you though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending