The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hmm, unfortunately up until year 9 I wore it stupid - quite a fat knot, but it was quite a long tie, so it was more than a few inches long! There was this one time in assembly that was hilarious though - the headmaster was having a rant about uniform standards, and picked on me as a good example of uniform, but then he realised that actually my top button was undone, I just hadn't loosened my tie massively so you couldn't tell without looking carefully.

After year 10 though, we had a tie like this: So you had to have it a certain length to show the school badge.

http://www.2-4-u-menswear-schoolwear.co.uk/catalog/images/Tewkesbury-School-Tie.jpg
Reply 61
I used to wear it in my pocket.
windsor knot, just above the belt, top button done up (undone on hot days).

As you're supposed to...
Original post by fudgesundae

i wear it properly but pritty much everyone either doesn't wear it or wears it untied(tucked into shirt to make it look tied) or very low not up to the top.In the summer,you don't have to wear ties though.
Reply 64
Original post by Mess.
:lolwut: Do you know how much of a **** you looked? Would you wear your school jumper inside out?

-------------------

All this 'trying to show my individuality' stuff is bull**** otherwise you would have worn one sleeve of your jumper rolled up and your trousers inside out. Or something equally as ridiculous that wasn't just something that EVERY.SINGLE.OTHER.PERSON was doing :facepalm2:

Thank you! Someone agrees with me. We currently have this horrible thing where people are wearing jumpers and rolling their sleeves up complaining its too hot. It looks scruffy, and if you're too hot, then take your jumper off!!!!
Reply 65
I wear mine round my head.
Original post by twelve

After year 10 though, we had a tie like this: So you had to have it a certain length to show the school badge.

http://www.2-4-u-menswear-schoolwear.co.uk/catalog/images/Tewkesbury-School-Tie.jpg

Phew, i'd always try and get around that!!
Original post by CoolaClime Student
Phew, i'd always try and get around that!!

Dream Stuffing... oops I mean Coolaclime Student in a school uniform thread. What a surprise.
Cannot stand those who don't wear it correctly. All buttons fastened up, with a small half windsor knot is how i wear mine. Also we have the school badge on them near the top which you have to show so it makes sense to wear them at full length. :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by jennyw
My school are currently having a major crackdown on this. I'm in the sixth form and its really annoying that I still have to wear a tie but anyway...
I normally wear my tie quite short and really loose, with the top two buttons undone. We can wear a jumper as well and my tie is normally barely visable above the jumper line lol.
We have a new head and he keeps trying to get everyone to do their top buttons up, but we all wear them really loose so its not like im the only one.
So how do you wear your tie?

why would you undo 2 buttons? one makes you look more relaxed and gives you more space to breathe, fair enough, but 2 just looks so hipster, it's just so pathetic when girls do this... :facepalm2:
Reply 70
Original post by jennyw
My school are currently having a major crackdown on this. I'm in the sixth form and its really annoying that I still have to wear a tie but anyway...
I normally wear my tie quite short and really loose, with the top two buttons undone. We can wear a jumper as well and my tie is normally barely visable above the jumper line lol.
We have a new head and he keeps trying to get everyone to do their top buttons up, but we all wear them really loose so its not like im the only one.
So how do you wear your tie?

Tight and of appropriate length so all the buttons are covered. Looking presentable is one of the most important things in life. I don't understand why you it's 'cool' to look scruffy.

You're on the wrong forum mate, we're all 'nerds' who care about our future and education.
Reply 71
Original post by Mess.
*WHOOSH*

That is the sound of the point going right over the both of you :facepalm2:

that's what I was thinking...
Reply 72
We got detention for not having all buttons done and the tie properly done, it sucked, lol.
Reply 73
I always had mine done up properly, and it showed 9 stripes (when I had a striped tie), when I became a prefect, I wore it done up and so the school logo (an eagle) showed just beneath the know.

I thankfully don't have to do the whole shirt and tie thing at work, but when I had interviews I always wore it in a Windsor Knot.
Reply 74
I wear my school tie normally, albeit a slightly larger than normal knot (whatever you call the thing in the middle :biggrin:).

I also have my top button done up unless it's really warm.
Reply 75

Like that, tight and relatively long but I never use to do my top buttons up because it means I can't breathe properly, the only time I do them up is at formal events such as interviews.
I personally think that wearing your tie very low down and really short looks a bit silly.
When I had to wear one, I wore it about medium length, a little below my collar and with the top button undone.
Original post by DMed
I always had mine done up properly, and it showed 9 stripes (when I had a striped tie), when I became a prefect, I wore it done up and so the school logo (an eagle) showed just beneath the know.

I thankfully don't have to do the whole shirt and tie thing at work, but when I had interviews I always wore it in a Windsor Knot.

Our minimum number of stripes for concert dress and open evenings was 6 :wink: Oh the fights we'd have with the sixth form who tried to enforce that rule...
Reply 78
I'm in university now. In school I usually had my top button undone purely for comfort, but did it up for formal occasions like awards and helping at parents' evenings and stuff. And the tie was a pretty tight knot at a reasonable length.

I had a brief phase when I was about 13 of wearing it the way you describe yours. I think back and cringe. Your day will come.
Original post by DMed
I always had mine done up properly, and it showed 9 stripes (when I had a striped tie), when I became a prefect, I wore it done up and so the school logo (an eagle) showed just beneath the know..

I'd deffo sure as not bother with a poxy logo/crtest!!

Latest