The Student Room Group

Graduation day - Do degree classifications get read out?

I don't graduate this year because i have only started my second year. But i am curious to know if they get read out. It would defnitely be a bonus incentive to work hard if they do.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They didn't do it at mine
Reply 2
I doubt it, as that would shame those who had done badly or not as well as they wanted. They didn't at mine, just read the degree title.
That'd be pretty funny.
No, they don't.
They don't at Oxford :nah:
Reply 6
Surely if you get a first it gets revealed?
woaw! =O i graduated from my undergrad course in 2009, but i did not attend the graduation ceremony (i was participating in a rally) - but i ALWAYS wanted to know this myself!!! :'D

i also wonder if they announce the whole list of people who finish the course,or just the people who are in attendance of the ceremony............
They don't at Leeds but I feel it should be an option. If you didn't do well, you would have the option not to have it read out but for those who have done well, they should have the option to have it read out, they deserve it!
Original post by davidcy147
They don't at Leeds but I feel it should be an option. If you didn't do well, you would have the option not to have it read out but for those who have done well, they should have the option to have it read out, they deserve it!

...'But then you'd know the people who didn't do so well. :tongue: :redface:
Reply 10
They generally don't get read out, but it will be in the graduation program.
Reply 11
Original post by Dominicque

Maybe a better option would be to just read out the list of people who got firsts? :smile:
Hmm im pretty sure they did for the kings medicine graduates this july..cant remember tbh.. :smile:
Original post by mirin?

Yepp.. :smile:
At Loughborough it was listed in the 'programme' type thing. They did it by course, then by classification, then by Surname. So for Maths for example, Firsts A-Z, 2.1's A-Z, etc.
Original post by Dominicque

Not necessarily.

If I get the first that I am predicted and it was an option to me, I wouldn't have it read out. I would just rather people don't know my result but as I have said previously, I think people deserve the option.
At my uni your degree class appears next to your name in the programme. I think you've got to have a good reason for it not to be included.
Original post by mirin?
sometimes they put an asterisk by a name if they get first class degrees.

they used to give that sort of information out freely but increasingly they are being required to have your permission to.
Original post by mirin?

Nope, not at my grad ceremony anyway. The only way people knew about my result was that results were posted on the wall on results day.
Reply 19
Some universities post their graduation programs online, so keeping your degree classification secret may depend on how common your name is.

Quick Reply

Latest