The Student Room Group

Strengthening my application for summer placements

Scroll to see replies

Oh, I have another question! Does it matter whether you get a placement in a massive company, or a smaller one? And what if it's one that doesn't have much to do with whatever I'm applying for when I come to look for a job? :colondollar:
[QUOTE="-;34402895" +="+" polarity="polarity"]I think I need to work on my CV:,:

At my university, students doing their individual project either do it in conjunction with their placement company, meaning that the project is also owned by that company, and is directly relevant to them, or they get to choose from a list of of projects from the department, many of which will be industry related as it will be part of an academic's work or area, and a company will have originally came to the university with a problem etc. that they need some research or academic help with.

It's probably the same at your university given that it all tends to follow the IMechE guidelines.

You also need some sales skills in order to pitch your project as relevant or of interest to the company, too.

Original post by + polarity -
Oh, I have another question! Does it matter whether you get a placement in a massive company, or a smaller one? And what if it's one that doesn't have much to do with whatever I'm applying for when I come to look for a job? :colondollar:

I can't answer that question, but I can say that there are many advantages to interning in a small company compared to a massive one. I did my summer placement at a company with over 100K employees and operations in almost every country in the world that isn't landlocked - so a pretty big company. With larger companies you are essentially one of many, many, it's easier to get pigeon holed into one area and you don't necessarily get a particularly broad overview of the company.

With smaller companies, I'm told, you're a much more important part of the business, the team is much tighter knit, and you get more exposure.
Reply 22
lol, do engineers do much soldering? :dontknow:

Yeah, there are. I looked on Gradcracker a day or two ago and there were lots of banking placements too :s-smilie: :sexface:

Yes, we do. Most of the time we can get stuff manufactured, but we do our share of soldering too. I hate solder-fumes.

I don't want to work in a bank, though. Despite the fact that it's more lucrative, it's plain boring.
ffs I left this tab to come back to and I forgot about it :colondollar:
Original post by Smack
At my university, students doing their individual project either do it in conjunction with their placement company, meaning that the project is also owned by that company, and is directly relevant to them, or they get to choose from a list of of projects from the department, many of which will be industry related as it will be part of an academic's work or area, and a company will have originally came to the university with a problem etc. that they need some research or academic help with.

It's probably the same at your university given that it all tends to follow the IMechE guidelines.

You also need some sales skills in order to pitch your project as relevant or of interest to the company, too.

I can't answer that question, but I can say that there are many advantages to interning in a small company compared to a massive one. I did my summer placement at a company with over 100K employees and operations in almost every country in the world that isn't landlocked - so a pretty big company. With larger companies you are essentially one of many, many, it's easier to get pigeon holed into one area and you don't necessarily get a particularly broad overview of the company.

With smaller companies, I'm told, you're a much more important part of the business, the team is much tighter knit, and you get more exposure.

edit: Now that I think about it, I've actually done quite a few projects over the years, I'm sure at least one of them would be relevant in any given interview :ninja:

Sales skills. Got it. :wizard:

:beard: Okay, it sounds like I should be looking for smaller companies. :tongue: Did your placement actually involve engineering work? Because I talked to someone who did one this summer (something to do with power generation IIRC) and he said it was all technician's work. I don't want anything like that. :no:

Original post by unamed
Yes, we do. Most of the time we can get stuff manufactured, but we do our share of soldering too. I hate solder-fumes.

I don't want to work in a bank, though. Despite the fact that it's more lucrative, it's plain boring.

:five: I hate it when the flux gets on my hand and I panic for a fraction of a second. :facepalm2:

I'm not sure if I want to or not, but I am a little tempted right now :frown: It seems boring, but I have no idea what an engineer would be doing there :unsure:
edit: Now that I think about it, I've actually done quite a few projects over the years, I'm sure at least one of them would be relevant in any given interview :ninja:

Sales skills. Got it. :wizard:

Projects don't have to be in any way relevant to the industry anyway.

What you need to be able to do is use the skills you have learned from these projects (technical, communication, time management, leadership etc.) to help sell yourself to the interviewers and company.

Many university projects are generic robotics ones anyway because robots can be built to any scale and complexity and people think they're cool.

:beard: Okay, it sounds like I should be looking for smaller companies. :tongue: Did your placement actually involve engineering work? Because I talked to someone who did one this summer (something to do with power generation IIRC) and he said it was all technician's work. I don't want anything like that. :no:

My placement didn't involve any engineering work, but that's because I didn't actually work for an engineering company but rather an oil producing company, so we pay other people to do the engineering for us.

But I wouldn't snub technician work. You'll learn a lot from it that will definitely help you with your engineering.
I don't know where to put this, but I found the first few comments quite interesting.
hey sup

I've been ill for nearly as long as I have been banned! However, I am working on version 3.0 of my CV (a skills-based one) as we speak and should hopefully be sending some applications this week! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending