The Student Room Group

Is english literature easy?

Hey guys, i was wondering if any of you could tell me if english literature at a level is easy? Or is it really hard?

Thansk!:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's evil incarnate.
Generally not. It's not seen as a 'soft' option and is seen as the harder of the two English A levels.

I find it quite straightforward, because I love analysis and classic literature, but if you don't enjoy reading or analysing the books, then you may struggle.
Reply 3
Original post by AspiringGenius
Generally not. It's not seen as a 'soft' option and is seen as the harder of the two English A levels.

I find it quite straightforward, because I love analysis and classic literature, but if you don't enjoy reading or analysing the books, then you may struggle.

thanks!
Original post by MissyR95
thanks!

What subjects are you thinking of doing?
Original post by CourierOfCurry
It's evil incarnate.

This.

I did it at GCSE level and it almost killed me. People say that English Language is harder, but i completely disagree! I got a A* in Language but a B in Literature. But it was very, VERY hard. Doing it now at A-Level, (not my own choice:smile:), I FIND IT EVEN WORSE!!

But then again, its about what you like and dislike, you never know, you may do brill at it if you pick it! Just think about what you want x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
What subjects are you thinking of doing?

Law
History
Philosophy

and either english literature or politics
But i dont want to take english literature if it's going to be really hard
Original post by _MizzTerious_
This.

I did it at GCSE level and it almost killed me. People say that English Language is harder, but i completely disagree! I got a A* in Language but a B in Literature. But it was very, VERY had. Doing it now at A-Level, (not my own choice:smile:), I FIND IT EVEN WORSE!!

But then again, its about what you like and dislike, you never know, you may do brill at it if you pick it! Just think about what you want x

Who said language is harder? They are most definately an idiot.

For GCSE, 250 people were entered for language, 230 for lit (it being identified as a course unsuitable for those who struggle with reading). In language, circa. 5 people got A*, and just 2 in Literature. That was myself and someone who wants to study literature at Cambridge, for context.

Actually. That reflects badly on the English department, but I am a firm believer they taught for students the learn the subject, rather than get tye grades. Plus, WJEC made us do a two and a half hour monstrosity for lit.
Certainly not, all my friends who took it hated it and said the coursework was a drag.
Reply 9
Original post by Maicccccmannnn
Certainly not, all my friends who took it hated it and said the coursework was a drag.

okay, thanks
okay, thanks

Damn, I have a touch screen and accidentally negged you, sorry :frown:
Reply 11
Damn, I have a touch screen and accidentally negged you, sorry :frown:

okay, nvm :smile:
Hey guys, i was wondering if any of you could tell me if english literature at a level is easy? Or is it really hard?

I think it's okay. You have to apply yourself, but there are ways to make it work for you no matter what. Learning the A0's and the mark schemes help. Doing practice essay questions help, a lot. Reading critical opinion of the texts involved is a very, very good idea.

It's a very enjoyable subject and it's not particularly hard. :smile:
Reply 13
I loved it so didn't really find it hard, but my friend did, I guess it also depends on your ability, I came out with an A and she got a D, you need to have an interest in it at least if you have any chance of doing well and also a lot of practice helps.

And the coursework wasn't that bad. :colondollar:
A-level?

I found that quite easy.

I can't speak for undergraduate level or above though.

It was my highest mark overall out of all of my A-levels and it was the one I put the least effort into.
(edited 12 years ago)
I love English Literature :h:

It's subjective.
Reply 16
I like analysing books but the amount of reading is really heavy duty.

So difficult in that sense but you enjoy it then it should make up for it
Reply 17
Put it this way, if you're not a serious bookworm, then it's really not a good choice of subject. If you like reading then you'll probably enjoy it, but the amount of it is very time consuming and you will find you end up reading the texts over and over again. You need to really read between the lines of everything too, and it can also get quite expensive if you have to buy the books.

It might be worth finding out what the readings you'll be doing are, as I like reading so took English lit, but I absolutely hated pretty much everything we read over the 2 years of my course. The wider reading list is quite big though, so you may find something there you'll like on there.
Reply 18

It's fairly easy if you like reading. You do analysis of novels and plays. You have to get your head around the novel and the author then it gets pretty easy.

It's a pretty enjoyable subject as well. I wouldn't says it's really hard, it's probably closer to being easy than really hard.
If you enjoy it then it won't be too bad, you may find it really easy

if you hate reading & analysing books/poems in detail then you will struggle as you won't be motivated to work

simples :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending