The Student Room Group

How much would a new driver (23 year old) expect to pay for insurance...?

I am planning to do my lessons and then once I pass, maybe get a cheap "run around" to get me from a - b. I wouldn't want to pay much more than, maybe a grand for a car. I hear some of the quotes that people are getting on here and it shocks me to think that people are paying insurance that high. Surely if I bought a car for £1000, I wouldn't have to pay double the price of the car in insurance? How the hell does that work? Is it the minority again, ruining it for the rest of us due to their idiotic driving "skills"...?

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

ALWAYS do a car insurance quote comparison on:
confused.com
gocompare.com
www.moneysupermarket.com
and more to check you have the cheapest deal possible
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You might cos ok cos you're over 21? It depends where you live too. I'm 20 and recently passed and my insurance was £1725 TPFT because of where I live =/
Reply 2
2Gees

Ballpark figure btw.
I'm 21 and I pay £8200 ish for a 2010 Corolla Axio. But without an accident that I had it would be £2000.
Reply 5
Original post by TheEnigmaUK
I am planning to do my lessons and then once I pass, maybe get a cheap "run around" to get me from a - b. I wouldn't want to pay much more than, maybe a grand for a car. I hear some of the quotes that people are getting on here and it shocks me to think that people are paying insurance that high. Surely if I bought a car for £1000, I wouldn't have to pay double the price of the car in insurance? How the hell does that work? Is it the minority again, ruining it for the rest of us due to their idiotic driving "skills"...?

It's not only to do with how much the car you have is worth, because potentially you could be running around in your cheap little Skoda and smash into someone's massively expensive Ferrari and if it's your fault then your insurance company pays to fix the Ferrari.

As already mentioned it will vary also depending on where you live, the amount of milage you intend to do and especially on the insurance group (size of engine, whether it's a 'boy racer' car, etc) of your run around.

Oh, and over 21 doesn't make a massive amount of difference. It's more over 25 and even then only if you've already been driving for 2 years.
Original post by Lib
It's not only to do with how much the car you have is worth, because potentially you could be running around in your cheap little Skoda and smash into someone's massively expensive Ferrari and if it's your fault then your insurance company pays to fix the Ferrari.

As already mentioned it will vary also depending on where you live, the amount of milage you intend to do and especially on the insurance group (size of engine, whether it's a 'boy racer' car, etc) of your run around.

Oh, and over 21 doesn't make a massive amount of difference. It's more over 25 and even then only if you've already been driving for 2 years.

I'm learning to drive this year and I'm 23 so this is kind of nice news to hear.

The potential cost is frightening me already. :/
23 and my insurance having just passed last year 0NCB was £650 on a 97 1.9 polo
over 2 grand if you live in the dirrrrty south :cool:
Reply 9
My other half pays £220 on her Triumph Stag - fully comp with agreed value.
Reply 10

2k. I'm 26 and even the crappiest of cars runs at 1.8k + (like a 1.1 Micra).

And im in a decentish postcode...the mind boggles.
Reply 11
Original post by IntelligenceArtifi
I'm 21 and I pay £8200 ish for a 2010 Corolla Axio. But without an accident that I had it would be £2000.

arhh your so lucky im 22 and pay £14,200 :frown:
First year TPFT with named driver on 1.4 Ford Fiesta, X reg was roughly £1000, but only because I paid monthly. This year with same details it's about 550. You should definitely get a named driver added on.
Reply 13
Insurance = 2x + 10y - 20z, where x is the value of the vehicle, y is your age and z is the number of years you have been driving/no-claims bonus.
(edited 12 years ago)
when i input my boyfriend's details ((he is 23 year old male)) into some internet searches, but change some so it appears he just passed his test, it returns quotes of £900 to £1600
however when i put his real detail for licence held + ncb ((had his licence for 5 year + 2 month and has nearly got 5 years ncb - up for renewing next month)), he's looking closer to £200 mark,depending on the next car he gets. he is returning the fiat 500 he's had for the past year on 1st november........and who knows what car he intends to keep next.. o.0

insurance not all bad for males when there is some ''hair on ball''/ 21+! ;DDDD
Original post by I<3LAMP
I'm learning to drive this year and I'm 23 so this is kind of nice news to hear.

The potential cost is frightening me already. :/

don't worry about the potential costings!

loan shark, at your service :sexface:
Reply 16
23 and I'm paying £850 a year for driving a 2003 1.8l Ford Focus turbo diesel, despite only having 1 year's no claims bonus. I was a named driver from ages 18 to 22 on a 1995 Peugeot 306 and have never had an accident, but didn't gain any no claims bonuses in that time. Still, we were paying £350 a year for that Peugeot in the end.
Reply 17
Depends on the size of the engine as well- obviously the smaller engine size the better
Reply 18
Original post by JC.
My other half pays £220 on her Triumph Stag - fully comp with agreed value.

Nice. What year? Model? And how much did she pay for it?
Reply 19
Heya, have been a named driver for a year, recently got an 06 fiesta, and pay 650 with admiral (23 years old, 0 NCB). Definitely search on price comparison sites. It's not all bad!

Latest

Trending

Trending