Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    I'd say about three hours each weekday night on a school night, it varies depending on how much work my teachers have set and also what kind of work (unfortunately I don't do any of the reading work).

Just...do all your homework that your teachers set you (if they're good) on time and you'll be fine. If your teachers are annoying and don't teach very well I'd recommend teaching yourself the syllabus by reading the textbooks and doing a few practise questions.
    Three hours a night seems a lot.

Then again, I don't do homework anymore. I do what I feel I should do. The trouble is, I don't get told off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George-W-Duck)
    I just do what i need to do, if you know something, dont revise it, if you dont know it revise it. Aslong as you learn everything you know then there should be not 'standard' as to how long you take revising. Good revision doesnt necessarily mean spending hours reading the same material over and over again.
    most wud say that good revision does :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pugnacious)
    wow u all sound so cool by saying that u do no revision...hmm lets see i tihnk i grew out of that habit when i was about 11.

No doubt ther are supergenius's amoung u and admittedly not a huge deal of revision is needed to get good grades at gCSE, but i tihnk that ppl have exaggerated the amount of revision that they do.

I would suggest re writing ur notes, its helps me to remember them even if i do not read through them thaaat many times
    You never asked a question in that post to the straight A holders.

If you implied "how much revision did u do to get those good gcse grades", the answer in my case is probably is a fair amount of revision, but not loads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    Three hours a night seems a lot.

Then again, I don't do homework anymore. I do what I feel I should do. The trouble is, I don't get told off.
    Three hours a night is this year for my A2s. I'm ashamed to say I was more interested in drinking vodka in my GCSE years - no one else do this, it messes up your potential a bit. I do three hours because I never tend to do work at school during my frees, and also my physics teachers love setting hw.

As's were alright, started revision after easter- did some notes, did some practise. You'll find there's a subject which you don't really need to touch, so leave it and concentrate on the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyNameIsNeo)
    Cool. That's good. If you can do the AEs then the regular A-Levels will become dead easy. In fact your first term at uni (assuming you study something related and that you are going to uni) may be much easier workwise. That's what I found anyway.
    hmm, i think it depends on the AEA subject though, because the skills required for some bare little relation to the A levels!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Three hours a night is this year for my A2s. I'm ashamed to say I was more interested in drinking vodka in my GCSE years - no one else do this, it messes up your potential a bit. I do three hours because I never tend to do work at school during my frees, and also my physics teachers love setting hw.

As's were alright, started revision after easter- did some notes, did some practise. You'll find there's a subject which you don't really need to touch, so leave it and concentrate on the others.
    Vodka is great. I'm preparing for a vodka-drinking match with one of our teachers. I'm also preparing for my exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    Vodka is great. I'm preparing for a vodka-drinking match with one of our teachers. I'm also preparing for my exams.
    Public school boy by any chance? Most of the blokes i know go to one, and they're pretty chummy with their housemasters. I blame me starting to drink on them.

I've grown off vodka...drink of the moment is malibu. Are you one of those annoying clever people who do little work and still got into oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    I got fabulous GCSE results considering that all my revision was done the day before each exam. For A levels I actually started doing proper revision, maybe three weeks before my first exam I go mad and revise in every spare moment I have, but during term time I am so lazy. I'm a bit of an all-or-nothing sort of person, and just don't seem to have the motivation to do a little bit of work every day. I'd much rather have a hyper stressful few weeks and lots of lazy time. I really must learn to change this before going to uni, though.

ReputationRep:
    I got quite average results for GCSE and really regret not doing revision especially when a lot of people I know did better than me purely becuase they stepped up the work rate. Anyway I'm predicted aswell as, if not better than them for A/Ss

ReputationRep:
    GCSE revision basically invovled those lovely revision books!
    A-level revision needs a bit more motivation.

As for how much work during the year? I don't do any homework at home (except for maybe an economics homework every couple of weeks and a drawing here or there). Maths I do in my frees at school.

I seem to do nothing...

ReputationRep:
    Well...revision and homework are completely different for me. I always do all my homework and coursework at home..not much else too do lol. It seems that as you normally get a while to do h/wrk and c/wrk I pretty much am always on an A, sometimes fall to a B if im currently ill or not 'with-it' lol. When it comes to revision i really am like..yugh cant really be bothered. I'm ashamed to say I didn't revise at all for my GCSE's are got better than average grades (A*'s and A's)..but im certain its luck that most subject exams contained questions i knew the answers too.

For AS I got AAB and revised about 3 hours for each exam. In January I took 4 exams and got AAAA (90/90 UMS in the 3rd Unit). I started revision the day before the exam with revision essays I had done in class. I suppose all I'm saying here is that you don't need to spend hours and hours revising everything and then getting worked up about the exams. I'm normally very relaxed while doing an exam..until I need to speed up towards the end!

As someone else stated on here as long as you know what the mark scheme requires you'll be fine. I know if you have too much info on one particular area over others there is always the risk of waffle.. hence run out of time and as a product of this may not get the grade you want. I start my A2 exams in 9 weeks and have just started revision as I know that I have to improve my B grade in History from AS to get AAA.

Also c/wrk is a great help to boost your grade if your not too cool with exams. In my History last year I got 85/90 and am hoping for similar this year too (will find out on the first day back!). As long as you follow the mark scheme carefully you will get an A grade in that unit. One of my subjects c/wrk counts for 40% of the A Level grade - so its best to get the highest you can!

And to finish off - you can only do your best. So as long as you've done that you will be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nayeem18)
    .....how many hours in a day have you devoted to your studies since you started A levels ? .....
    And you thought you'd get a truthful answer to that question?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.