McGill requirements for A-levels! Ridiculous...

Watch
Part A
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I was just having a look at McGill's commerce program (undergrad, BCom) and last year, they required BBB (with a B at A-Level Maths) to get entry...so technically, you could still do fairly average in your A-levels and still get into the best university in Canada pretty much.

I'm guessing this is down to international student fees? So as long as you can afford it, not really a problem I guess!

Can anyone back me up on this? Must be the same for internationals applying over here then.
dreadnaut
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Part A)
I was just having a look at McGill's commerce program (undergrad, BCom) and last year, they required BBB (with a B at A-Level Maths) to get entry...so technically, you could still do fairly average in your A-levels and still get into the best university in Canada pretty much.

I'm guessing this is down to international student fees? So as long as you can afford it, not really a problem I guess!

Can anyone back me up on this? Must be the same for internationals applying over here then..!
Interesting, I head they were amazing for engineering from a friend.

Remember the quality of the department's teaching and research should also factor into your decision. So while they may have a great name for X,Y,Z for other things they may not be as great....this may go someway to explain the A level req
Part A
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by dreadnaut)
Interesting, I head they were amazing for engineering from a friend.

Remember the quality of the department's teaching and research should also factor into your decision. So while they may have a great name for X,Y,Z for other things they may not be as great....this may go someway to explain the A level req
You again! I heard that their economics department in general was fairly prestigious but probably not the best taught...then again, McGill is the best university overall in Canada and pretty much every good employer will know of its rep!

Just wish it wasn't so bloody expensive!
RandomUser7
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Can anyone back me up on this? Must be the same for internationals applying over here then..!
Remember like many in the UK, they may quote that as a minimum requirement but in reality the offers they make are likely to be higher. Having said that, from my experience Canadian Uni's view qualifications such as A-Levels and IB as very 'good' courses and so offers do seem lenient compared to those in the UK.
Rebellious-Steve
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ultimately the requirements are fairly irrelevant if they receive a surplus of applications.
Nix-j-c
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
they required BBB (with a B at A-Level Maths) to get entry...so technically, you could still do fairly average in your A-levels and still get into the best university in Canada pretty much.
Ok it might be the best uni and not asking for A*s and As but B isn't the average grade people get in A-levels. And anyway the people who actually egt onto that course probably do end up having to get higher than BBB.
maths time is here
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Because the first year is quite difficult and a LOT of the successful applicants will get kicked out for not getting the cut off marks in first year.
zedeneye1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rebellious-Steve)
Ultimately the requirements are fairly irrelevant if they receive a surplus of applications.
they never get a surplus of applications...

so these requirements are what it takes..

sometimes they may even let u in if get a little lower grade as well...
RandomUser7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by zedeneye1)
they never get a surplus of applications...

so these requirements are what it takes..

sometimes they may even let u in if get a little lower grade as well...
Youre a McGill recruiter are you?
zedeneye1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ishamo)
Youre a McGill recruiter are you?

not now, an ex...
frfd000000
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by zedeneye1)
not now, an ex...

Haha yeah, sure...
Aspiringlawstudent
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Canada, eh?
Hafiz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
so wid a BBC at As.,. and predicted ABB.,. can someone get into McGill.,. cz just 1 mark i would hav ended wid ABB at AS too
lizaloveee
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As a Canadian who lives 40 minutes from McGill, I can say that it IS a very prestigious school, one that is very well known with a great reputation. Just because the entry requirements are low doesn't mean that you'll get in with it. I know a variety of people who've gotten refused because their marks are too low. They look for well rounded students (volunteer hours, participant in the community, good reccomendations from teachers, etc) with grades of usually a minumum of 85-90 (not sure what that is for your grade system!). Not to discourage anyone, but just don't think it's easy to get into, even though we love international students for funding our education!
Wahala
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
YES.
RandomUser7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yep pretty much, an American family friend of mine recently received entirely unconditional offers from St Andrews, Edinburgh and Exeter and I think Bristol. £££.
Suner52
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A-levels are much harder then the Canadians Grade 12 Education thus the requirements are lower.
keyboard-warrior
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
how much is going to cost a british student to study there?
-raisa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

I agree with Suner52 - the reason why British requirements are so low is because A-levels are technically equivalent to first-year university in Canada. In North America, an undergraduate degree is typically four years long because the Canadian/American education system only has 12 grades (i.e. our last year is equivalent to year 12 for you Brits). For British students doing A-levels, you will get "advanced standing" and thus skip first-year and finish university in just three years, like a typical European undergraduate degree.

I'm doing the IB, and the IB requirements for McGill are pretty ridiculously easy as well - 34 points. Compare that to 40-42 for Cambridge, or even 35 for St. Andrews! Again, the IB diploma counts as first-year university / advanced standing as well
Suner52
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by keyboard-warrior)
how much is going to cost a british student to study there?
A LOT cheaper then a canadian student studying in Britain. Just remember, the POUND is worth much more then the CAD dollar, so you're probs not gonna be paying much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (676)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads