The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Really getting fed up of all the noise in Rootes

It was my third choice but I ended up here. I like my flatmates just fine, they're all nice enough. Don't suppose I'll be talking to them much after the first year though, we don't share a whole lot in common. I seem to be the only one out of 12 who does sport or gaming, which pretty much covers me and you'd hope it would overlap SOMEWHERE since they tend to attract 2 different crowds.

Anyways, I'm sitting in my room, it's 3am and there's a load of them making a big noise, talking and laughing loudly really close by. Guess it doesn't help that I'm the first room by the kitchen.

Based on all this, I'd like to switch. I know it could all calm down a bit as people settle in but it's still Rootes. I know there's still going to be noise, whether from inside or out. The noise obviously prevents me from sleeping (I'm a light sleeper) and it's irritating anyways. I like peace and quiet.

I think the one thing that's really holding me back is the prospect of moving to a dead flat. I've heard enough reports of people in pretty dead flats, but to what extent they are 'dead' I'm not sure. Maybe by my standards it'd be ideal, so long as they aren't all poor English speakers or hole themselves up in their room. :tongue:

Anyways, what do you guys think? Worth sticking it out a bit and hope things calm down? Move now so that I don't miss out too much on settling with (new) flatmates?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I mean I've also heard reports and seen first hand a bunch of nice people going out from the same flat. There were 3 of them from the same flat at the badminton taster (I was of course on my own as no-one from my flat was interested in any of the sports) and talking to another guy from Cryfield, he said his flat was kinda split into 2 groups. I take that as a positive. Right now I don't feel like I really belong with any group of people, and that sucks. As I'm writing this, whilst I don't despair my situation, I'm feeling more and more like I should seek a change in accommodation.

Thinking about it, a girl was in our kitchen at one point, from another part of Rootes, and she said she's looking to move to Lakeside. I didn't want to press her (as I'd literally just met her) but she cited en-suite as the reason. Nice to know that I wouldn't be alone in moving from Rootes anyways.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
It most probably will quieten down as you get later in the year. You may also find that you get used to the noise.

If you do still want to switch, I suppose you could just ask the people at Warwick Accommodation what's available and then perhaps look round to see what the atmosphere's like?
Reply 3
Original post by ttoby
It most probably will quieten down as you get later in the year. You may also find that you get used to the noise.

If you do still want to switch, I suppose you could just ask the people at Warwick Accommodation what's available and then perhaps look round to see what the atmosphere's like?

Where can I get in contact with Warwick Accommodation?
Reply 4
Oh my God, now there's 2 girls and the guy next door, giggling and shrieking away... seriously, *** this. I want quiet.
Reply 5
Well now the guy is yelling at the top of his lungs... in the corridor. Not just me he's disturbing now. -_-
Reply 6
Alright, I've emailed the accommodation people about moving so I'll see where that gets me. Fingers crossed.
Reply 7
Can't believe the resident tutor hasn't come out yet.
Reply 8
Original post by sango
OMG PISS OFF!!! I'm in Bluebell and even I ****ing love the people that come from Rootes, so wanna pre-drink there for at least one night looool

If you don't like it, **** off to Cambridge. Lol jk, you're an oxbridge reject like the rest of us!

I actually didn't apply to Oxbridge. Should have though. Ah well.

And wait, you're the one from Bluebell but is telling me to **** off to Cambridge...

I'll swap accommodation with you.
peak times if someone from Rootes sees this thread, man'll get clocked real quick
Reply 10
Original post by morrison11
It was my third choice but I ended up here. I like my flatmates just fine, they're all nice enough. Don't suppose I'll be talking to them much after the first year though, we don't share a whole lot in common. I seem to be the only one out of 12 who does sport or gaming, which pretty much covers me and you'd hope it would overlap SOMEWHERE since they tend to attract 2 different crowds.

Anyways, I'm sitting in my room, it's 3am and there's a load of them making a big noise, talking and laughing loudly really close by. Guess it doesn't help that I'm the first room by the kitchen.

Based on all this, I'd like to switch. I know it could all calm down a bit as people settle in but it's still Rootes. I know there's still going to be noise, whether from inside or out. The noise obviously prevents me from sleeping (I'm a light sleeper) and it's irritating anyways. I like peace and quiet.

I think the one thing that's really holding me back is the prospect of moving to a dead flat. I've heard enough reports of people in pretty dead flats, but to what extent they are 'dead' I'm not sure. Maybe by my standards it'd be ideal, so long as they aren't all poor English speakers or hole themselves up in their room. :tongue:

Anyways, what do you guys think? Worth sticking it out a bit and hope things calm down? Move now so that I don't miss out too much on settling with (new) flatmates?

It's a Friday night.
Noise is pretty much a given at any University.

If you don't like it you're going to pretty much have to move off campus with people who don't like going for nights out.
The noise should settle as people get more work however, but again, it's still likely on Fridays/Saturdays there will be a decent amount of noise.

EDIT: just realised this is in the Warwick section and I don't know what the 'Rootes' is or where it is, campus or not etc so sorry if the above is a bit irrelevant.
(edited 12 years ago)
Not meaning to sound boring but this amount of noise is definitely not a "given at any university", sleep deprivation is an extremely serious problem and can cause people to become extremely ill - I was in Westwood last year and our resident tutor said no noise after midnight (even in the first couple of weeks), and then it changed to a bit earlier during exam time for this reason.

It's probably best if you buy some earplugs, but the noise will calm down after freshers (both due to people calming down and your resident tutor clamping down on it). Also if someone is making a lot of noise and it's bothering you, don't just wait for the resident tutor to come, go and tell them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
your not alone, it just takes 1 coock to make a racket.
Reply 13
Ask Warwick Accommodation for a transfer. I'm sure there are people stuck in Westwood who'd kill to be in Rootes.
Reply 14
Original post by Greg.
Ask Warwick Accommodation for a transfer. I'm sure there are people stuck in Westwood who'd kill to be in Rootes.

Yeah, I've heard of a few people who don't like their boring, quiet residence and see Rootes as a kind of salvation.

Anyways, I got an email back saying I need to talk to resident staff and they need to grant me permission to move. I think it's probably worth going earlier rather than later (as I think it might be likely they say stay another week and see how you feel after that or whatever). This would be my resident tutor, right?
You should try find a room in Arthur Vick, it's silent here :u:
Reply 16
Spoken to my resident tutor and she's okay'd the move. Guess I've just gotta wait till next Monday till I can apply to move... rather move now... :P
Reply 17
Original post by jameswhughes
You should try find a room in Arthur Vick, it's silent here :u:

So I hear. You like it there?

So I hear. You like it there?

Yeah...well the rooms and kitchens are nice, and if you want to go to sleep it's very quiet-though it can be very quiet/boring in the daytime too, people seem to stay in their rooms :dontknow:

Often in the evenings we head over to Rootes then go to the SU, which is much more exciting! :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by jameswhughes
Yeah...well the rooms and kitchens are nice, and if you want to go to sleep it's very quiet-though it can be very quiet/boring in the daytime too, people seem to stay in their rooms :dontknow:

Often in the evenings we head over to Rootes then go to the SU, which is much more exciting! :biggrin:

Sounds perfect. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending