Lord Jon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi!

I wish to go into Medicine but if I couldn't get in and had to take another degree and wish to apply as a graduate........ I would probably want to work for a year or two first.

I wouldn't want a strictly forensic science degree and I would like to go to a top uni. ( which most unis who provide Forensic Sci aren't , but good nevertheless)

Can I get a career in Forensics or Forensic Science with a Biomedical Sciences or Biochemistry degree?

or even Medicinal Chemistry?

Thanks.
Venomilys
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No.

I don't see how it would work.
Peregrinum
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes. A biochemistry degree would be directly relevant to forensic biology disciplines (DNA analysis, etc.) and medicinal chemistry would be relevant to both forensic biology and chemistry disciplines. Biomedicine, however, would not be such a good option (it's still relevant to forensic biology, but wouldn't provide as good a basis as biochemistry would).
Jale
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Agent Smirnoff)
Can I get a career in Forensics or Forensic Science...
Unlikely, no matter which degree you do. It's one of the most over-supplied careers: loads of people want to do it, but there are very very few jobs in it. It's known as the 'CSI effect'.

Biomed and Biochem would definitely give you many career options though, particularly Biochem (there's no opportunities that a Biomed can get that a Biochem cannot, but the reverse is not true) which is the harder, and as far as I have seen, less fun degree. Medicinal Chemistry would be more narrow.

Did Biol Sci myself. I wouldn't worry about your career goals, more about development. I had loose plans, and it lead me into Cancer Biology by way of Fruit Fly Development!
Loki01
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jale)
Unlikely, no matter which degree you do. It's one of the most over-supplied careers: loads of people want to do it, but there are very very few jobs in it. It's known as the 'CSI effect'.

Biomed and Biochem would definitely give you many career options though, particularly Biochem (there's no opportunities that a Biomed can get that a Biochem cannot, but the reverse is not true) which is the harder, and as far as I have seen, less fun degree. Medicinal Chemistry would be more narrow.

Did Biol Sci myself. I wouldn't worry about your career goals, more about development. I had loose plans, and it lead me into Cancer Biology by way of Fruit Fly Development!
Just to confirm, which one gives you more options?
Jale
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All of them give you a wide wide wide range of options (assuming you are talking about an academic Biomed degree, not the vocational one leading to qualification as a 'Biomedical Scientist'). If you don't do Biochemistry and do something else, then you will make it very hard to go into certain chemistry-focussed industries.

Really I don't think there's much difference though.
R Phillip
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Venomilys)
No.

I don't see how it would work.
Can you eleborate why?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (10)
50%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (2)
10%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (3)
15%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (1)
5%
I haven't started researching yet (1)
5%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
15%

Watched Threads