tammie94
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
actual size = Image size / magnification
When would you use this equation and how does this differ from calibration. How would you know what the image size is and wouldn't it be more efficient to just calibrate what one eye piece unit is worth.

Can I also ask what the book means by the ruler is 1mm long as it doesn't specify whether it's talking about the eye piece graticule or the stage micrometer.

There's also 2 examples in my book:
with a *4 objective lens and *10 eye piece (magnificatiion = *40), 40 epu (eye piece units) = 1mm (1000 micrometers). Therefore 1 epu = 1000/40 = 25 micrometers.
with a *10 objective lens (total magnification = *100), 100 epu = 1000 micrometers. So 1 epu = 10 micrometers.

If they are refering to the micrometer being 1mm long then why do we even use the eye piece graticule and vice versa. Please help me to understand. My text book is so indirect and unclear!
Pride
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tammie94)
actual size = Image size / magnification
When would you use this equation and how does this differ from calibration. How would you know what the image size is and wouldn't it be more efficient to just calibrate what one eye piece unit is worth.

Can I also ask what the book means by the ruler is 1mm long as it doesn't specify whether it's talking about the eye piece graticule or the stage micrometer.

There's also 2 examples in my book:
with a *4 objective lens and *10 eye piece (magnificatiion = *40), 40 epu (eye piece units) = 1mm (1000 micrometers). Therefore 1 epu = 1000/40 = 25 micrometers.
with a *10 objective lens (total magnification = *100), 100 epu = 1000 micrometers. So 1 epu = 10 micrometers.

If they are refering to the micrometer being 1mm long then why do we even use the eye piece graticule and vice versa. Please help me to understand. My text book is so indirect and unclear!
Ahh that sounds like the OCR textbook.

Well, you might use the M = I divided by A equation when you're given the actual size of a cell and you are given the size of the image, then to find magnification, you'd divide the image size by the actual size given. You might have to re-arrange the equation for some questions.

On the other hand, about the stage micrometer, it's 1mm long (1000 micrometres), and it's divided into 100 divisions so each division is 10 micrometres long or 0.01mm. Then with a x4 objective and x10 eyepiece, the magnification'd be x40 because you do 4*10, so 40 eyepiece units would equal 1mm.

40epu = 1000 micrometres
1epu = 1000/40 = 25 micrometres.

so if you were to put another object on the stage, you'd be able to tell that if it was 2 units in width for example it'd be 50micrometres.
tammie94
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Pride)
Ahh that sounds like the OCR textbook.

Well, you might use the M = I divided by A equation when you're given the actual size of a cell and you are given the size of the image, then to find magnification, you'd divide the image size by the actual size given. You might have to re-arrange the equation for some questions.

On the other hand, about the stage micrometer, it's 1mm long (1000 micrometres), and it's divided into 100 divisions so each division is 10 micrometres long or 0.01mm. Then with a x4 objective and x10 eyepiece, the magnification'd be x40 because you do 4*10, so 40 eyepiece units would equal 1mm.

40epu = 1000 micrometres

so if you were to put another object on the stage, you'd be able to tell that if it was 2 units in width for example it'd be 50micrometres.
Thank you so much and yep you're right. OCR text books can be so unclear sometimes.
Pride
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tammie94)
Thank you so much and yep you're right. OCR text books can be so unclear sometimes.
ahh glad that's helped
NerdFighteria
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Pride)

40epu = 1000 micrometres

how do you convert EPU into micrometers? I'm so confused and have homework in for lunch tomorow :/ I can understand the rest of it it's just that. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated :confused::confused:
Pride
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by NerdFighteria)
how do you convert EPU into micrometers? I'm so confused and have homework in for lunch tomorow :/ I can understand the rest of it it's just that. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated :confused::confused:
I know it's confusing. 1 mm = 1000 micrometres, um

Now, the epu depends on your magnification.
At x40 (x4 and x10) you know 1000 micrometres would be 40epu.

at x100, 1000 micrometres would be 100epu
1 epu would be 10 micrometres.

The set measurement is 1mm, that is used to help you calibrate. Epu varies on magnification
NerdFighteria
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Pride)
I know it's confusing. 1 mm = 1000 micrometres, um

Now, the epu depends on your magnification.
At x40 (x4 and x10) you know 1000 micrometres would be 40epu.

at x100, 1000 micrometres would be 100epu
1 epu would be 10 micrometres.

The set measurement is 1mm, that is used to help you calibrate. Epu varies on magnification
Thank you so much!! this really helped me out
RedDots
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Can Anyone help me about how microscope calculation?

If an object has a diameter of 17 graticule units with the x40 objective, what is its actual diameter in microns?
e4i8rijerh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My ocr text book says that with each increasese in magnification the relative size of the divisions increases for eyepiece graticule but should not the relative size of divisions for the eyepiece graticule decrease for each increase in magnification as each division would be worth less as the image is magnified.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads