Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just got my letter telling me they've accepted me after interview, and I'm happy Looks like being my first choice, unless Manchester impresses me more! Has anyone compared these two yet and got a preference? And who else got through those horrid maths questions at the York interview?

ReputationRep:
    I'll add that it's a conditional offer obviously, AAB, but I'm still happy

ReputationRep:
    York has a better computer science rating and a couple of years back was number 1, out ranking Cambridge and Warwick, the computer science building is new I think it opened in 1999 or 2000 and it is one of the few universities that actually have a real supercomputer for research. The department is rich and the Dr Kelly told me they where getting an upgraded JaNET and expanding WiFi coverage.

The campus is out in the country side but not too far from city only like 1 to 2 miles max.

ReputationRep:
    I live near Hull, so it's quite convenient for me to get home if I need to. I like York as a place too. Anybody got any general views on Manchester?

(Original post by jaron)
    Anybody got any general views on Manchester?
    One of the most established and best computing departments in the UK. The staff are nice and the department and facilities are quite modern. The network which you will use is tremendous (huge bandwidth due to the piping for several ISP's running into the uni). If you stick all that on top of the fact that Manchester is THE place to be for nightlife and a generally great time, you can see why it's so damn popular. Also the merger with UMIST will make "The University of Manchester" a huge player for years to come!!!

ReputationRep:
    Huge bandwidth? Bit rubbish if all you can do is look at sites! I've heard York restrict the connection hugely, what's this like at Manchester and other uni's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaron)
    Huge bandwidth? Bit rubbish if all you can do is look at sites! I've heard York restrict the connection hugely, what's this like at Manchester and other uni's?
    I think all universities will have some kind of a restriction on what you do with their network.

I suggest that you examine both universities and make your own choice, look at both league tables and the course syllabus. Although the separation percentage is minimal on the quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaron)
    Janet at Manchester halls is untapped as far as I know. Spoke to someone in Grovensor who can download .avi etc (*wink*).

(Original post by jaron)
    Links from ehternet ports are not monitored or restricted. The machines in the the department / uni are logged but they still allow the use of p2p software without any logging and/or problems!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaron)
    I live near Hull, so it's quite convenient for me to get home if I need to. I like York as a place too. Anybody got any general views on Manchester?
    I went to both Manchester and York open days. Manchester excels in providing an excellent social life: being a massive city there are plenty of things to do. I only briefly looked at some of the accomodation and it didn't look that great. At york, the accomdoation was excellent, although a little quiet. York is also higher in the league tables depending on whether that matters to you or not.

Got to York if a quiet place with good accomodoation is your thing, Manchester if a 'loud' social life but not so good accomodation is!

(Original post by johncleaner)
    I went to both Manchester and York open days. Manchester excels in providing an excellent social life: being a massive city there are plenty of things to do. I only briefly looked at some of the accomodation and it didn't look that great. At york, the accomdoation was excellent, although a little quiet. York is also higher in the league tables depending on whether that matters to you or not.

Got to York if a quiet place with good accomodoation is your thing, Manchester if a 'loud' social life but not so good accomodation is!
    I didn't see anything at York to rival Bowden Court (or any of the other Grosvenor accomodation)!!!

Another factor you may want to consider is that York seem to like catered accomodation and Manchesters best accomodation is generally sefl-catered. This could be a factor if you care either way!!!

ReputationRep:
    There isn't actually any catered halls as such at York They've just got a huge number of resturants on the campus.

I've chosen york as my firm choice for comp sci, and although I didn't apply to manchester I did consider it. I'd have to aggree with what everyone else has said - if you want to spend your time in a more rural setting then York is for you, but if you fancy living in a big city then opt for manchester

ReputationRep:
    Manchester has a real history, with the likes of Turing and the first computer. But I would choose York because I like campuses.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.