The Student Room Group

The "waiting for news is driving me crazy" uberthread 2011-12

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Minerva
Not necessarily. Depends when you applied, and for which course/s. Edinburgh in particular is notorious for taking its time, so is St Andrews.

I applied in November for Art History with 4 As and a B. Pretty sure somewhere should have got back. Its not like I'm apply for medicine or law...
Did you receive any confirmation emails? I haven't heard from St Andrews yet and I applied on the 14th October. However the day after I applied I received a confirmation email from them, letting me know that they had received my application and I would hear back any time before 31st March.
Don't panic just yet.
Reply 4062
Original post by Worriedstudent1893
I applied in November for Art History with 4 As and a B. Pretty sure somewhere should have got back. Its not like I'm apply for medicine or law...
Not necessarily. That course is quite popular and some unis don't even start looking at their applications until the 15 January deadline has passed. I'm afraid there's nothing for it other than to be patient. Sorry :frown:
Reply 4063
Original post by Worriedstudent1893
I sent off my application in November and NONE of my 5 choices have replied. I applied to Edinburgh twice, Glasgow, Aberdeen and St Andrews for Art History with 4 As and a B at higher.
Should I be worried?
I know the deadline is in May.... but for none of them to reply by this time... I've been told this is really unusual.

Call them and/or email them. Don't be afraid of making this move. They are there to help you.
Original post by Minerva
Not necessarily. That course is quite popular and some unis don't even start looking at their applications until the 15 January deadline has passed. I'm afraid there's nothing for it other than to be patient. Sorry :frown:

Yeah, it's just annoying, but I suppose this happens every year. You'd think they'd figure out a quicker way to reply.... like letting everyone in :wink: hahaha

Original post by cpdavis
If the universities didn't want you, they would have rejected you already. I know people last year who applied before I did and didn't get any replies until mid February (I applied in October). These things take time. Good luck.

Thanks :smile: I'm trying to be optimistic and hoping this is a good sign
i know the deadlines not for a few weeks but is it normal to wait this long to hear from uni's? I'm still waiting for a reply from imperial, applied in december but my other four choices have all replied. Also, everyone i know who has applied there has heard back now. Is it possible they've messed up an email and theres actually a decision? If so how long would it take to get on track? I've checked track/my junk emails and there's nothing.
Reply 4066
Original post by isitinyet?
i know the deadlines not for a few weeks but is it normal to wait this long to hear from uni's? I'm still waiting for a reply from imperial, applied in december but my other four choices have all replied. Also, everyone i know who has applied there has heard back now. Is it possible they've messed up an email and theres actually a decision? If so how long would it take to get on track? I've checked track/my junk emails and there's nothing.

It's entirely normal to wait this long for a university like Imperial. I applied in early October and only had an update on my UCL application last Thursday! :tongue:
Original post by isitinyet?

As far as I know, it's completely normal.
I applied mid-november and still haven't heard back from UCL yet :tongue:
I am going madddddddd. 4 AND A HALF MONTHS, BRISTOL. FOUR AND A HALF MONTHS! :mad::angry::mad::angry::mad::angry: It feels like I am slightly going off of them, out of sheer annoyance for clearly being bottom of their barrel.

Perhaps they have not even looked at my application yet, but I can't help feeling I'm one of their "on the shelf" people that they're not too fussed either way with.

Bad times! :frown:
Original post by DarwinsDevotee
I am going madddddddd. 4 AND A HALF MONTHS, BRISTOL. FOUR AND A HALF MONTHS! :mad::angry::mad::angry::mad::angry: It feels like I am slightly going off of them, out of sheer annoyance for clearly being bottom of their barrel.

Perhaps they have not even looked at my application yet, but I can't help feeling I'm one of their "on the shelf" people that they're not too fussed either way with.

Four months and twenty four days i've been waiting on Manchester. Noone has heard for my course yet so i'm not feeling as angry as you are, but definitely feeling frustrated! I just want to make my decisions :tongue:
Reply 4070

DITTO!!! And I called admissions today. They were closed for lunch.:angry:
Original post by Bea492
DITTO!!! And I called admissions today. They were closed for lunch.:angry:

Are you talking about Bristol?

Whoever anyway, you are brave calling admissions! I am a more mature applicant at 25 but still feel scared of doing such things. I've read success stories though where people have called and then they've sent them their decision the same/next day.
6 weeks since I applied. Got interviews at 4 of them. Still waiting on Huddersfield. Driving me mad. Has anyone heard anything from Huddersfield, Adult Nursing?
Reply 4073
Are you talking about Bristol?

Whoever anyway, you are brave calling admissions! I am a more mature applicant at 25 but still feel scared of doing such things. I've read success stories though where people have called and then they've sent them their decision the same/next day.

Yes, Bristol. They are taking their sweet time! I'm not even that fussed now, yes or no, I just want a decision so I can decide where i'm going to accept! Ideally I want to know before 1st march so I can apply for accommodation. I'm not a mature applicant but am on a gap year so wouldn't be receiving a conditional offer, maybe that has something to do with the delay... Who knows!
What course have you applied for?
This agony of waiting just makes me want to roll on the floor like a lunatic!

Three of the five unis I've applied to have an interview phase... Everyone else seems to be attending them and getting their offers but me. :frown: I wonder if they first go through UK applicants and then others... Or if they do it in an alphabetical order. Hnngh. But I think I am going to contact the unis if I don't hear from them by mid March.

Siiiiigh!
Original post by Bea492
Yes, Bristol. They are taking their sweet time! I'm not even that fussed now, yes or no, I just want a decision so I can decide where i'm going to accept! Ideally I want to know before 1st march so I can apply for accommodation. I'm not a mature applicant but am on a gap year so wouldn't be receiving a conditional offer, maybe that has something to do with the delay... Who knows!
What course have you applied for?

Biology/Zoology. I saw on another thread that you'd called them and they had no notes on you.. how frustrating. I think we can analyse it until the cows come home but the fact of the matter is they are just one of the slow unis. The problem is I see everywhere "We are assessing applications on a daily basis so check your email/track regularly" so although I know I will probably be waiting another month or two, there is still that glimmer of hope that I may get something any day! I live in Bristol and love it, I do not want to leave, but Sheffield will be a good insurance! If you get an offer will you firm Bristol? What's your insurance? Good luck today! Perhaps the last day of the week that an offer seems possible.. although I still check on saturdays and sundays :rolleyes:

I know the feeling. I've been waiting for a reply from Exeter since November. I've had quick replies from my other choices but this one is just dragging.
I've only just sent off my Extra application and I'm already like... "eeeek!" :tongue:
I feel like St Andrews have forgotten me :frown:
Basically, should I be worried that 2 of my unis are taking so long to get back to me? Does this mean I'm likely to be rejected?

Nottingham have said by end of Feb they'd get back to me - I still haven't heard from them, but 2 people applying to the same course as me got an offer today! Does this mean that they've sent all their offers out already and are now sending out rejections? I also know another person for the same course who got rejected earlier...

Leeds as well I'm waiting on.. They said end of March and I now one person who got an offer from them for my course in the beginning of Feb

Should I be concerned they're not getting back to me as quickly? Does this mean I'm likely to be rejected? or is no news good news in this case?

In case it matters, I have offers from my other 3 unis who all got back to me before Xmas... (Sheffield, Manchester, Cardiff)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending