The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The Edinburgh FAQ and 'Ask a Student' thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spacepirate-James
This is the response from one of my flatmates who studies english lit:

"Hmm, seeing we're only in first year maybe we haven't been through enough of the course to judge, but so far I think the marking and feedback is pretty standard. Other courses (philo and psych) sometimes take even longer to give us essay feedback so I guess I've never seen it as an issue, really. As for guidance, our tutor is really, really helpful, as well as our course organiser (by which I mean at least he replies to my emails). Essay feedback hasn't really been a problem so far, but 1. it depends on which tutor you get I guess and 2. I can only imagine it will probably get a bit worse in later years, as essay markers will be actual professors and not PhD students.
I hope this is helpful :|? Satisfaction-wise, the course is great!"

Yep, thank you flatmate! That was very useful and pretty much what I wanted to hear :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Hey Guys,

I have an offer at Edinburgh to do Civil Engineering,
I was wondering how easy it would be to switch between Engineering courses?

Thanks.
Reply 262
Original post by Alexlol28
Hey Guys,

I have an offer at Edinburgh to do Civil Engineering,
I was wondering how easy it would be to switch between Engineering courses?

Thanks.

Pretty easy after first year. In first semester you'll take engineering 1 which lets you study a minimum of 2 disciplines. If you really wanted to swap after Christmas then you could. Bearing in mind, if you were to change to chemical you would need to have taken chemistry 1 in the first semester too.

If after the first semester you're still unsure, to keep your options open I'd take electrical engineering 1 along with civil engineering 1. Civil engineering 1 and mechanical engineering 1 are very similar courses, so you can switch either way, and by taking electrical engineering 1, you can keep that course open along with mechanical and electrical engineering.

In 2nd year the courses start splitting, so you'd have more difficultly switching then. Unless you want to switch to engineering with management, or renewables.
I am an international student outside EU, applying to the University of Edinburgh this year.Because of my national university exams and courses I missed the deadline of medicine program. My father wants me to become an engineer but I really want to study medicine, can I change my major If I get accepted to the engineering program. How hard is it going to be, would it be easier if I get into foundation program.Thank you for your answers.
Original post by Endoplasmicguest
I am an international student outside EU, applying to the University of Edinburgh this year.Because of my national university exams and courses I missed the deadline of medicine program. My father wants me to become an engineer but I really want to study medicine, can I change my major If I get accepted to the engineering program. How hard is it going to be, would it be easier if I get into foundation program.Thank you for your answers.

Can you change from Engineering to Medicine? No.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Can you change from Engineering to Medicine? No.

Which programs are switchable with medicine?

Nothing. You have to apply to Medicine.
Reply 267

If you want to apply to study medicine in the UK then you will have to apply this year (between early September and 15th October) for entry in September/October 2013 and ensure you sit the UKCAT and/or BMAT as applicable for your choices. You can't just transfer degrees at any university, not just Edinburgh.
Reply 268
Hey everyone,

I have far to many questions to put directly into this thread... Are there any students out there in politics and/or International Relations (mainly just social sciences) that would be willing to answer some of my questions?

Cheers!
Reply 269
Original post by edepow
Hey everyone,

I have far to many questions to put directly into this thread... Are there any students out there in politics and/or International Relations (mainly just social sciences) that would be willing to answer some of my questions?

Cheers!

I do politics, graduate this year. did social anthropology and philosphy as outsides first and second year then a little social policy and sociology as outsides in third and fourth. I can try to answer some questions
NeoNerd
Tradition - only the ancient universities in Scotland do it. The newer universities award BAs. There's a similar idea in Oxbridge and Durham - you can be admitted as a MA without taking further study.

It's well understood that a Scottish undergraduate MA is the same thing as a BA. I know people who did a MA after their undergraduate MA.

Thanks for the reply,

My thread's been locked, so I'll have to quote you here. Anyway like I mentioned in my OP, some courses (i.e maths) have MA and BSc versions, whats the difference between them? Is the BSc over 3 years instead of 4?
Reply 271
Hi. If someone here studies physics/math/something related at edinburgh, i would like to know how many people there are usually in physics or in math classes. thanks.
Original post by ader1
Hi. If someone here studies physics/math/something related at edinburgh, i would like to know how many people there are usually in physics or in math classes. thanks.

I'm interested in this too please. :smile:
Hi there,

I'm coming to do Philosophy and English Lit MA this coming academic year and was wondering whether it's possible to take the third module in either biology or fine art? I tried ringing up but the lady was banging on about credits - my a-levels were biology, english, art and I just wanted to know whether it's actually allowed to stretch that far?
Reply 274
Original post by guichiguichi
Hi there,

I'm coming to do Philosophy and English Lit MA this coming academic year and was wondering whether it's possible to take the third module in either biology or fine art? I tried ringing up but the lady was banging on about credits - my a-levels were biology, english, art and I just wanted to know whether it's actually allowed to stretch that far?

Depends on how many credits your maditory courses add up to :tongue: often it's harder for those doing joint degree to do outside classes because they need to take both sets of mandatory courses.

Your a levels don't matter- as in nobody gives a damn what a levels you have once you are in the door. In theory it is possible to do those courses though. I did a course in education when I'm a social scientist, my flatmate does a language when she's a natural scientist, my friend does a social science when she's a natural scientist. Most of the time they aren't that fussy about what outside course you do so long as you make up enough credits
Reply 275
Hi there people. If someone here is a physics(or physics-related subject) student: how many people are there in physics and math classes? thank you.
Reply 276
Original post by fuzzybear
Thanks for the reply,

My thread's been locked, so I'll have to quote you here. Anyway like I mentioned in my OP, some courses (i.e maths) have MA and BSc versions, whats the difference between them? Is the BSc over 3 years instead of 4?

All Undergraduate Honours degrees in Scotland are four years - including the BSc. There are several degrees which allow a choice between a MA and BSc, and as far as I understand they have slightly different courses.
Original post by BKS
Depends on how many credits your maditory courses add up to :tongue: often it's harder for those doing joint degree to do outside classes because they need to take both sets of mandatory courses.

Your a levels don't matter- as in nobody gives a damn what a levels you have once you are in the door. In theory it is possible to do those courses though. I did a course in education when I'm a social scientist, my flatmate does a language when she's a natural scientist, my friend does a social science when she's a natural scientist. Most of the time they aren't that fussy about what outside course you do so long as you make up enough credits

Ohhh that's what credits is about haha thanks for letting me know :smile:
Reply 278
Hi there people. If someone here is a physics(or physics-related subject) student: how many people are there in physics and math classes? thank you.
Original post by ader1

Hi. I have moved this post just like I did the last. Please post questions like this in our 'The Edinburgh FAQ and 'Ask a Student' thread' sticky (which is where this now is). The thread you posted in is solely for current students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending