The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The Edinburgh FAQ and 'Ask a Student' thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Hi. I am going to start the 5 year undergraduate Master of Informatics (MInf) programme this autumn and I have a question. Would there be a big difference between doing this programme and doing a bachelor, and then a master, or would they about the same? What would look best to an employer?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by oxymoronic
Other people can help you too - they all know what they're talking about :smile:

Yes, if you got a conditional offer it makes you have a place providing you get 50% in everything that you're studying in semester one of your current course. Your current course is slightly harder than a normal A level course so this will be why they have only asked that you pass the course with at least 50%. If you have already achieved that then you can ask your current college to send notification to Edinburgh and then the university will give you an unconditional offer,

With Exeter, do you mean that you have been given an offer for 29 IB points? (rather than for your NQF4 diploma?)

As it doesn't matter about the requirement - they clearly liked your application and you have a place. I don't know if that is a common offer for the course at Exeter or not. If you are doing the IB and the NQF4 course together, they might have given you a low IB offer because you will gain a lot of knowledge from your NQF4 course too.

In terms of what you should do, I think you need to think about the course content and also the cost. Studying at Edinburgh for 4 years will be very expensive if you are paying international student fees. If you can spend half of that money and study at Exeter instead that seems quite good as Exeter is a very good university too. Have you looked at what you will be studying at Exeter? How come you can do it in 2.5 years? Is there an agreement with your current NQF4 course?

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Yes , there is some agreement that allows me to skip a year for acct and business at Exeter so I can finish in 2.5 years. Clearly that is a large differenece in cost and time when comparing with Edinburgh. I think I have decided to firm Exeter then and insure Edinburgh. I actually like Edinburgh a lot but because of its huge costs and extra years involved, I cannot really committ to it fully as I would have liked. Thanks for the advice because it really contributed to my decision.
Reply 282
how is the nightlife - like are clubs in edinburgh good and where are the main student hang-outs?? :smile:
what nights are student nights as well and do people go to the students union or is that more of a pre-drinks place before going out??
There's a new tool out to view course timetables called 'Web Timetables'. Here's the link: https://www.ted.is.ed.ac.uk/UOE1213_SWS/

After some experimenting this seems to be a great improvement over its predecessor TimeTab - with many of the timetables for next year already loaded into the system and a decent search function included.

This does mean that TimeTab has now been retired.
Reply 284
Hi, everyone,

I have an offer for medical sciences (B100) entry first year with conditions BBB. However, on Edinburgh's site, it says that if you get AAB you can enter into the second year directly. My question is: Does my offer change to entry to second year directly after I get my results on results day in August automatically or do I have to request it from the uni?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by ader1
Hi there people. If someone here is a physics(or physics-related subject) student: how many people are there in physics and math classes? thank you.
In first year the lectures were in Appleton Tower so I guess there would have been a couple of hundred people taking the course (I guess that's not exactly important though). And in the tutorials there were about 10 people or so. Probably fewer actually - I can't quite remember.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 286
Original post by Carl Sagan
In first year the lectures were in Appleton Tower so I guess there would have been a couple of hundred people taking the course (I guess that's not exactly important though). And in the tutorials there were about 10 people or so. Probably fewer actually - I can't quite remember.

thanks!
Reply 287
Original post by HishamG
Hi, everyone,

I have an offer for medical sciences (B100) entry first year with conditions BBB. However, on Edinburgh's site, it says that if you get AAB you can enter into the second year directly. My question is: Does my offer change to entry to second year directly after I get my results on results day in August automatically or do I have to request it from the uni?

Thanks in advance.

You don't have to request it. All students with the appropriate qualifications for direct entry into second year will be given this option when they start the course.
Did anyone got in for MA Psychology?
And is anyone applying to accommodations at Pollocks?
Oh and also, when is the deadline for applying accommodations for conditional offers?
Reply 289
My daughter got a very high offer for MA Psychology. We wondered if anyone could tell us what the lectures and lecturers are like for Psychology, sociology and Spanish?
Reply 290
Hello everyone, I'm a new member here. I have a stupid question to ask - please forgive me - if I refuse to drink alcohol and go to nightclubs as the others do, will I be isolated or just ignored. I really hate the taste of alcohol and last time after going to a nightclub I fell sick. Thank you very much
Reply 291
my daughter is just like you - though she'll probably enjoy the clubbing. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how many students like you are out there. Some people like to go out and have fun without drinking and if other people ignore them because of it then they're better off without them anyway. Live and let live!
Reply 292
Is it likely to change the courses from Economics and Finance to Finance and Accounting during fresher week? :smile: .

Thankyou.:confused::smile:
Reply 293
Hi guys. I'll be doing MA accounting and finance this September, and I was wondering if there's a chance of direct entry to 2nd year upon the start of the semester?

My request for a 2nd year direct entry during the application period was not approved, but I accepted the offer in any case as Edinburgh is among my top choices. Is there a possibility that my appeal will be considered come September? I have some experience and knowledge in accounting, as well an academic qualification related to this degree.

Thanks for your help.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 294
For a 4 years undergradute degree, (School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences) do the first and second year count towards your final degree classification? If I am to study abroad in my third year, would that contribute to the degree classification process or just the fourth year will? I have heard that the first two years do not count but could not be sure since I cannot find the answers on the university website... could someone help me out? Thank you very much!
Reply 295
Original post by koen09
For a 4 years undergradute degree, (School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences) do the first and second year count towards your final degree classification? If I am to study abroad in my third year, would that contribute to the degree classification process or just the fourth year will? I have heard that the first two years do not count but could not be sure since I cannot find the answers on the university website... could someone help me out? Thank you very much!

You have to pass the first two years to be able to continue to honours, but no, the grades you get in first & second year don't count towards your final classification apart from that. If you study abroad in 3rd year, I'm not 100% sure how it works with erasmus exchanges, but for others, eg studying in the US (which I'm about to do) you will just get a pass/fail for third year, so the whole degree classification will be based on how you do in fourth year.
Reply 296
would choosing an outside courses that can gain exemption from accounting bodies ( incourses for economics&finance and economics and account) benefit a lot? Or is it better to choose languages as an outside course.. thankyou :smile:
Reply 297
Original post by koen09

Unless you're doing a languages degree your third year abroad won't count regardless of whether you do it in Europe or internationally. The year abroad essentially means that only your 4th year marks count towards your degree.

Original post by Mel'o
would choosing an outside courses that can gain exemption from accounting bodies ( incourses for economics&finance and economics and account) benefit a lot? Or is it better to choose languages as an outside course.. thankyou :smile:

Depends what you're interested in - languages are hard so you should only study them if you're genuinely interested in it. I spent far more time studying Spanish than I did doing my other courses combined in first and second year as languages are constant learning so you can't get away without doing anything for a couple of days. If you want to go on to do a professional qualification later you might prefer to do some exemption courses, it depends on you.
Reply 298
Original post by oxymoronic
Unless you're doing a languages degree your third year abroad won't count regardless of whether you do it in Europe or internationally. The year abroad essentially means that only your 4th year marks count towards your degree.

Original post by daeonica
You have to pass the first two years to be able to continue to honours, but no, the grades you get in first & second year don't count towards your final classification apart from that. If you study abroad in 3rd year, I'm not 100% sure how it works with erasmus exchanges, but for others, eg studying in the US (which I'm about to do) you will just get a pass/fail for third year, so the whole degree classification will be based on how you do in fourth year.

That is great! Thank you so much oxymoronic & daeonica! Then I will have time to make friends and develop new interests without having to worry much about my results - (yes I know I have to get a pass :biggrin: ) I am doing a Linguistics & English Language degree and I really want to study in France in my third year... so I guess my third year will count towards the degree classification? I am so excited cannot wait to start my university life! Thanks :smile:
Reply 299
Original post by koen09
That is great! Thank you so much oxymoronic & daeonica! Then I will have time to make friends and develop new interests without having to worry much about my results - (yes I know I have to get a pass :biggrin: ) I am doing a Linguistics & English Language degree and I really want to study in France in my third year... so I guess my third year will count towards the degree classification? I am so excited cannot wait to start my university life! Thanks :smile:

No, if you continue with your degree as linguistics and English language then your 3rd year won't count. It will only count if you change your degree to French and English language or linguistics once you're at Edinburgh. It's likely that you will have to study French in your first/second year (unless you are French/are fluent) as the university will need to know that you will be able to cope with being taught in French when you're on your year abroad.

These are the current options for linguistics students: http://www.lel.ed.ac.uk/lel_students/international/erasmus_exchange_scheme.php

With Erasmus exchanges, it isn't as competitive as the international (USA etc) exchanges as a lot of people don't realise it's an option to them if they aren't studying a language. They look at your grades in first and second year (generally they're looking for a 2:i average, although if you have some 2:iis it isn't an issue - it's only an issue if you've been literally just passing with a third in each course) and you also have to write a personal statement. You find out if you have a place in early March time of your second year, but you need to start researching/attending all of the department talks about Erasmus in semester one of second year. Linguistics make loads of announcements in lectures as it's relevant to a lot of people because they're doing their degree with a language :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending