The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The "I've applied to Edinburgh for 2012 entry" chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Cetacea
Bristol, Nottingham and RVC :smile: You?

Bristol, Nottingham and Cambridge...so might end up on the same course lol :smile:

U bin to the open days?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 121
Original post by gch
Yes, American here applying for Economics at Edinburgh! Anyone know when Edinburgh will send out their batch of offers? My twin bro already got a couple from other unis :s-smilie: haha

Have you already applied to Edinburgh?

Are you doing AP courses in the US? Which are the other uni's that already gave away the offers?
Reply 122
Original post by mpc1
Have you already applied to Edinburgh?

Are you doing AP courses in the US? Which are the other uni's that already gave away the offers?

Well, I'm doin the IB system. Got predicted 44/45 points with HL Math, Econ, and Music, and SL English A1, German B, and Physics. My bro got offers from Surrey and Nottingham for mech. engineering I think.

I applied through early ucas 1 month ago, for edinburgh, cambridge, durham, warwick, and lancaster :P, and still havent gotten any offers, guess its just a waiting game!
Reply 123
Original post by gch
Well, I'm doin the IB system. Got predicted 44/45 points with HL Math, Econ, and Music, and SL English A1, German B, and Physics. My bro got offers from Surrey and Nottingham for mech. engineering I think.

I applied through early ucas 1 month ago, for edinburgh, cambridge, durham, warwick, and lancaster :P, and still havent gotten any offers, guess its just a waiting game!

As an international applicant, if you are applying to Edinburgh , the chances are very bright I heard. is it true? 44 is a great score. What is edinburgh's entry requirements for IB?

BTW, did you get the acknowledgement and login portal details from Edinburgh? And also the fee questionnaire?
Reply 124
Original post by ShannonXX
Bristol, Nottingham and Cambridge...so might end up on the same course lol :smile:

U bin to the open days?

Could well be! (If everything goes to plan of course! :biggrin:). Yes I've been to all the open days, although for Edinburgh I went to the one at the beginning of September (the university-wide one) when the vet school were there, as unfortunately I missed out on the vet-specific one! There were only 100 places. Did you go to any open days?

Have you got all of your acknowledgments through yet? (I've got all mine, the last to arrive was the RVC, Edinburgh was the first actually!)
Reply 125
Original post by mpc1
As an international applicant, if you are applying to Edinburgh , the chances are very bright I heard. is it true? 44 is a great score. What is edinburgh's entry requirements for IB?

BTW, did you get the acknowledgement and login portal details from Edinburgh? And also the fee questionnaire?

Well, I'm actually not applying as international... :wink: I'm half Swedish aswell and I live in Austria right now :P

The entry reqs for Economics is 34 points and 555 HL incl. Math HL. Very doable, however I heard Edinburgh is notorious for stating low requirements on their website and then offering higher cause of competition :smile:

Are you also American?
Reply 126
Original post by gch
Well, I'm actually not applying as international... :wink: I'm half Swedish aswell and I live in Austria right now :P

The entry reqs for Economics is 34 points and 555 HL incl. Math HL. Very doable, however I heard Edinburgh is notorious for stating low requirements on their website and then offering higher cause of competition :smile:

Are you also American?

Yes, Intl applicant.

So, are you applying with home fee status or overseas fee status?
Reply 127
Original post by mpc1
Yes, Intl applicant.

So, are you applying with home fee status or overseas fee status?

Im applying with home fee status, cause Im a EU citizen. Yupp, I got the MyEd login thing and I logged in no problem. Wasnt quite sure what use it was as UCAS is basically the same thing... any idea?
Original post by gch
Yes, American here applying for Economics at Edinburgh! Anyone know when Edinburgh will send out their batch of offers? My twin bro already got a couple from other unis :s-smilie: haha

American here! Applying for psychology and linguistics (or maybe psychology and business studies).

Have you applied already? I'm still working on my essay...
Original post by LHC
Yep haha :L i don't fancy the idea of huge amounts of debt when it isn't necessary :P and my parents were like "don't even think about it" :L if it wasn't for the fees, I would have applied to cambridge :smile: I love the place (I'm from there), and would love to go back :smile: wow no one got in :O? We had 9 people apply last year from our school and only one got in :/ yeah you would easily get employed if you went to oxbridge :smile:
haha really :L? No i am not an amazing candidate :wink: my ukcat score is pretty rubbish :P Well, put it this way, 9 applied from my school last year and only 3 are applying this year :L Yeah I know, it's funny the rumours that go around :L at the open day the woman specifically said that you wont be at a disadvantage if you're english or go to a private school :P I have wealthy, snobby relatives in england who we never see and one of my cousins went to a private school, applied for medicine and never got in. She claims it's because she went to a private school but we all secretly know it's because she wasn't good enough :P

Crazy money, but at least it's not as bad as in America with graduates nearly half a million out of pocket... yet :s-smilie:
Cambridge is lovely... Like a fairy-tale. Oxford just felt a little more real. Nope, no one, and I think nearly 15 applied. My school got a bit of a shock :rolleyes:
UKCAT doesn't mean that much; it's only 8% of Edinburgh's criteria... What'd you actually get?
If anything private school seems to increase your chances of getting into med school, private schoolers are proportionally over represented. But any excuse... :P Whatever helps them sleep at night, and you'll know you're better than your cousin when you get in :biggrin:
Reply 130
Original post by imnotherehonest
Crazy money, but at least it's not as bad as in America with graduates nearly half a million out of pocket... yet :s-smilie:
Cambridge is lovely... Like a fairy-tale. Oxford just felt a little more real. Nope, no one, and I think nearly 15 applied. My school got a bit of a shock :rolleyes:
UKCAT doesn't mean that much; it's only 8% of Edinburgh's criteria... What'd you actually get?
If anything private school seems to increase your chances of getting into med school, private schoolers are proportionally over represented. But any excuse... :P Whatever helps them sleep at night, and you'll know you're better than your cousin when you get in :biggrin:

Oh wow. That's just insane having to pay that much :O but they'll earn a lot more money and we do because all their hospitals are private :/ Yeah that is kind of true :P I've never been to oxford or seen the uni so i wouldn't know if it was better than cambridge :smile: but to me, I don't really mind what uni I go to because at the end of the day I'll get to be a doctor wherever I go :biggrin: Wow, were they all applying to medicine? Yeah i guess that's true :smile: that's why i like edinburgh :wink: anndd...... 623 :bricks:
Yeah I thought that too, in scotland they even get the option to do six highers which universities see as amazing! Therefore they have an advantage over us :/ Hahaha I know, I will actually be sooooo chuffed if i do get in :wink: and my posh cousin, with her posh private school, and who gets everything she wants will have to face the fact that I managed to get in without the extra education, the money etc.. :biggrin:
Reply 131
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Are you for real?

Yep. My friend just graduated from there and told me! They'll find any excuse to not let you in. My brother applied to Napier and they said he needed a GCSE grade B in english language not a C, it said nothing about that in any prospectus or anywhere on the website. He didn't get an offer because he was English. Hence why the universities are being taken to court.
why are so many american applying to edin and st andrews? (dont get me wrong, i love the yanks :wink: but theres seems to be a bigger amount than at english unis)
Reply 133
Original post by Marina72

Yep. My friend just graduated from there and told me! They'll find any excuse to not let you in. My brother applied to Napier and they said he needed a GCSE grade B in english language not a C, it said nothing about that in any prospectus or anywhere on the website. He didn't get an offer because he was English. Hence why the universities are being taken to court.

Your friend graduated from the University of Edinburgh and claims that there are no English students there?
Is she sure that she actually attended university in the correct city?

Unfortunately your brother applying to Napier and being rejected has no resemblance to whether the University of Edinburgh do or do not admit English students onto their courses. The decisions of one university do not infer something at another university - that's like saying LSE rejected someone who was from Wales so therefore UCL do not accept Welsh people. Your brother was rejected from Napier because he did not meet their entry requirements (which they are free to change at any time) not because he was English. End of discussion.
Applied for Vet Med :smile:
Reply 135

They're being taken to court? Let me tell you from experience - anybody can take anybody else to court. I could sue you because I don't like your Student Room name. Ability to bring a case is not the same as winning a case.

Your brother was rejected because he failed to meet entry requirements. Not because he was English. Anybody that fails to meet entry requirements will not get an offer. It's simple enough. As for finding any excuse to reject candidates, you're entirely right. They have to. Many arts courses have a 80-90% rejection rate. They'll find the tiniest reason to reject candidates.

As for there being no English students at any Edinburgh university - this is patently nonsense. I've personally met around 20 to 30 first-year English students through one society.
Reply 136
Original post by maxcartwright
why are so many american applying to edin and st andrews? (dont get me wrong, i love the yanks :wink: but theres seems to be a bigger amount than at english unis)

Edinburgh in particular has an excellent international reputation. It regularly comes in the top 30 universities worldwide in rankings. Combine that with a relatively lenient admissions policy for international students and you can imagine the results...
I've applied for mathematical physics. Anyone else applied for physics?
Yep. My friend just graduated from there and told me!

Some friend. They lied to you.
Applied for Neuroscience at Edinburgh. January is so far away though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending