The Student Room Group

Self Teaching Questions.

First post - be gentle! :smile:

I was doing a levels at a local college a few years ago now but due to my business being successful I quit the course to focus on it full time.

3 years on and whilst I am happy with the business - I want a degree under my belt. So business is all delegated and I have freed up my time to study!

I rang up a local school and entered myself as a private candidate for 6 AQA exams:

MPC1
MPC2
MFP1
MM1B
MS1B
MD01

Am I correct in thinking that this is equal to an AS in Maths + Further Maths? I studied half of these 3 years ago, will just 3 months @ about 40 hours a week be enough to get the knowledge I need to get A's?

Any advice / input is appreciated!

Thank you, Ash
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by AshF
First post - be gentle! :smile:

I was doing a levels at a local college a few years ago now but due to my business being successful I quit the course to focus on it full time.

3 years on and whilst I am happy with the business - I want a degree under my belt. So business is all delegated and I have freed up my time to study!

I rang up a local school and entered myself as a private candidate for 6 AQA exams:

MPC1
MPC2
MFP1
MM1B
MS1B
MD01

Am I correct in thinking that this is equal to an AS in Maths + Further Maths? I studied half of these 3 years ago, will just 3 months @ about 40 hours a week be enough to get the knowledge I need to get A's?

Any advice / input is appreciated!

Thank you, Ash

Not entirely sure but I do think 3 modules qualifies as an AS qualification. So it seems that you do have 2 AS's here. As for your study timetable. I can't say for you personally, if you are an A student, you will get an A. All down to how good you are at the the subject. Good Luck
Reply 2
Thanks for the prompt reply and the input, I have good GCSE's and I enjoyed the maths course when I started it so I think I am capable of getting a good grade, just wondering if I am trying to fit it into too small a timescale or any other pitfalls in my plan.

On another note: I found my books from a few years ago. They are all Heinemann one's. Will these be up to date or close enough with the current specification? Will they be enough to learn from on their own or should I purchase revision guides?

And one more... Does anyone know how russell group universities look at grades from a private candidate?
Original post by AshF
Thanks for the prompt reply and the input, I have good GCSE's and I enjoyed the maths course when I started it so I think I am capable of getting a good grade, just wondering if I am trying to fit it into too small a timescale or any other pitfalls in my plan.

On another note: I found my books from a few years ago. They are all Heinemann one's. Will these be up to date or close enough with the current specification? Will they be enough to learn from on their own or should I purchase revision guides?

And one more... Does anyone know how russell group universities look at grades from a private candidate?

The curriculum is constantly changing, however, you might be lucky and they are still on the specification. If they aren't, they may still be useful for other material. I think your time spent on studying is a little too much if you have a business to run, however, it can be done. Russell Group Universities are notoriously picky, they may not consider it exceptional that you are teaching yourself and may just look at your grades and PS as they would any other candidate. Which Universities are you considering? Each one is different to the other. Lancaster I know are very accepting, however Manchester are SOB's for admissions, Durham too.
Reply 4
Fortunately I have a really good partner and they are handling the helm of the business whilst I study - meaning that all the work is delegated to them (though I can't help having a pop in the office now and then!) so thats ok for me. I am also happy to work on the business past the 9-5 studying if I am needed.

University wise I would be ideally looking to head to Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial or UCL. It was kind of expected of me to go to Cambridge.
Original post by AshF
Fortunately I have a really good partner and they are handling the helm of the business whilst I study - meaning that all the work is delegated to them (though I can't help having a pop in the office now and then!) so thats ok for me. I am also happy to work on the business past the 9-5 studying if I am needed.

University wise I would be ideally looking to head to Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial or UCL. It was kind of expected of me to go to Cambridge.

Ok, well that seems absolutely fine! As for your choice of Universities, they certainly seem plausible. I would say you have a much higher chance of attending UCL or Imperial. Remember Cambridge now accept no less than A*AA. If you think you can achieve this then go for it!
Reply 6
Thanks again, any more input from someone else? :smile:
Reply 7
You can definitely achieve this and 3 modules = an AS I believe. Good luck with everything, make sure to read the specs completely.
Reply 8
Thank you, well this should be fun ! :smile:

I will write down my progress and if I do well then I will share it so I can maybe help others.
Reply 9
Well I'm doing my exams myself this year too, its a challenge :tongue: Good luck again.

Quick Reply

Latest