Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    If the incredible sums of money that were spent on the war were spent on other humanitarian projects many more people would have benefited a much larger benefit.
    Absolutely right.

ReputationRep:
    If the incredible sums of money that were spent on the war were spent on other humanitarian projects many more people would have benefited a much larger benefit.
    Saddam Hussein is no longer in power, at least he cant have 10's of thousands of ppl killed.

ReputationRep:
    Giving the Iraqi people democratic control of their own country is surely the greatest humanitarian achievement that could've been achieved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternal Idol)
    No, you could do things because you feel it and not because you have calculated the costs ...
    So people should do things just because they feel like it without thinking about the potential results (positive or negative) of their actions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matouwah)
    i wasn't for the war....u read the article about how the iraqi POW were treated by the british soldiers?...think an article was on the sun..(yes i am aware that the sun is a tabloid....but there must be some truth behind it)...the POW were forced to drink urine n one was beaten to death....i think only one private is being charged for manslaughter....
    The problem under these sort of conditions is teh reliability of sources. As an example, palsetinian officials during the Israeli raid in Jenin claimed the civilian death toll was about a 1000. The real figure was something like 7. Also, remember that public opinion is against the war. The newspapers want to sell prints, thus they give the public what they want. Justification for their opinion...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    Giving the Iraqi people democratic control of their own country is surely the greatest humanitarian achievement that could've been achieved?
    I can't see an Iraqi democracy ........ zzzz ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    The Iraqi people don't have democratic control of their governement last time I checked. What makes Iraq more worthy of 'democracy' than the other countries of the world?

ReputationRep:
    I can't see an Iraqi democracy ........ zzzz ...
    Give it time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

You can't expect a country to transform themselves overnight after being under dictatorship for such a long period.

ReputationRep:
    So people should do things just because they feel like it without thinking about the potential results (positive or negative) of their actions?
    Well, actually the world would be a better place, I guess that someone called Jesus have told us something like this a couple of years ago...

"You can say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Saddam Hussein is no longer in power, at least he cant have 10's of thousands of ppl killed.
    How many people die each day because of their lack of access to water, basic sanitation and in the long run, education?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    Give it time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

You can't expect a country to transform themselves overnight after being under dictatorship for such a long period.
    And they want democracy?....

ReputationRep:
    The Iraqi people don't have democratic control of their governement last time I checked. What makes Iraq more worthy of 'democracy' than the other countries of the world?
    I'm well aware they don't at this point in time, I was envisaging the long-term picture.

And as for your second point, I completely agree. A point I made with my original post in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    This could be an endless arguement ... I just don't support actions that are taken to obtain benefits.
    Ummmm, 100% of anybody's actions about anything fall into that category. What kinds of actions do you support?

ReputationRep:
    Well, actually the world would be a better place, I guess that someone called Jesus have told us something like this a couple of years ago...

"You can say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one".
    So the world would be a better place if I came over and shot you in the head now because I 'felt like it' rather than thinking about the possible represcussions of my actions?

ReputationRep:
    And they want democracy?....
    You know for a fact they don't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Intermittent)
    Ummmm, 100% of anybody's actions about anything fall into that category. What kinds of actions do you support?
    I don't kiss my wife for a benefit.

ReputationRep:
    So the world would be a better place if I came over and shot you in the head now because I 'felt like it' rather than thinking about the possible represcussions of my actions?
    That's not what I said and you know it. I don't have time to lose with dialectic.

ReputationRep:
    Politics is frustrating.
    quite.....any way, I was for and against the war in several ways...if I honestly believed that it was to get rid of saddam and allow for an Iraqi democracy then that would be all well and good...however, the war was clearly partly motivated in my opinion by President Bush and soon to be emperor Blair trying to gain political ground, showing that their war on terror was dgoing somewhere. It is well known that Presidents in the states do most of their work in their first term only to be elected for a final second term (in which they can't be bothered to do anything as they can't be reelected.) Also, with the recent propaganda release from Bush on an impossible space program ($500,000) haven't you got to wonder how honest his policy really is? Yes, it may be a cliche, but one can't ignore the oil in Iraq...even if they make no money out of it in this sense, the west has planted its influence in the middle-East to secure oil if there is any Saudi/Israeli/Iranian trouble that might prevent oil supplies coming through and causing economic chaos as it did in the 70s....legally speaking, the war, if not entirely objectional on moral grounds, was certainly illegal as international law was blatantly bypassed, which has thrown the whole aurthority of the UN into question itself. According to international law, they had no right to invade Iraq as no iminent threat was posed to surrounding countries or the West....if you remember the first Gulf war, they had no legal right to bring down Saddam as no threat was prevented to any surrounding countires after Kuwait was liberated (although in this sense, it was quite sickening that there was little intervention to prevent the massacre of Iraqis purrly on the ground that the allies and Iraq were no longer at war)....then we have the whitewash that was the Hutton report, which I can't be bothered to go into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    You know for a fact they don't?
    You are establishing doubt, then you can't invade a country to establish democracy if you aren't sure that they even want it ...

ReputationRep:
    How many people die each day because of their lack of access to water, basic sanitation and in the long run, education?
    And why do these people die from these conditions? Because they are poor! what is the main reason people are poor in todays world ? Dictatorial supression!

It is not just a random coincidence that about every functional democracy has a better average living standard than the dictatorships of teh world.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.