Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Calling comuter people!

Basically I have a pretty old computer (9Gigs) and a message keeps popping up saying that my virtual memory is low. I checked though and I still have a gigabyte free space.

What is virtual memory? And does this sound serious?

Thank,

Adam

ReputationRep:
    it happens to me when i play Counter-strike...(damn steam)

it isnt serious, it is just when windows needs to page more memory, it uses some hd space as ram (or something like that, might be wrong :P_it looks serious cause they have the little yellow sign......but XP is poo and it aint serious.

ReputationRep:
    virtual memory allows your computer to run programs, it is talking about RAM

ReputationRep:
    or if it is not that i would say a restart will sort d problem :P

that is my fix for most comp porblems (hehe)

ReputationRep:
    If your computer has little RAM it uses virtual memory instead. Virtual memory is very slow and not ideal. This is why upgrading your RAM makes such a huge difference. Virtual memory is just a page file on your hard drive.

It sounds to me like you need more RAM. You would be running on XP with 128MB RAM by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    If your computer has little RAM it uses virtual memory instead. Virtual memory is very slow and not ideal. This is why upgrading your RAM makes such a huge difference. Virtual memory is just a page file on your hard drive.

It sounds to me like you need more RAM. You would be running on XP with 128MB RAM by any chance?
    Windows XP can just about manage with 64MB. I've tried it myself. It's **** and slow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Windows XP can just about manage with 64MB. I've tried it myself. It's **** and slow.
    If you turn of all the fancy graphics and run it a low resulution XP can run just about on 128MB RAM. There is no way in the real work XP can run with 64MB RAM. It will boot up thats about it, try running photoshop on it and it would probably take 20 minutes to load.

I personaly would never use XP unless I had at least 256MB RAM, I currently have 512MB which is about right for what I use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)

I think I am yes...

How do I get more RAM? Can you download it?

Sorry I am the ultimate computer illiterate person.

Adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tnacilppa)
    I think I am yes...

How do I get more RAM? Can you download it?

Sorry I am the ultimate computer illiterate person.

Adam
    Erm no its physical hardware. You have to open you PC and install it.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.