biology as planning Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
ok now i'm getting confused, will someone please tell me, does the albumen denature beacuse of the acidity and the h+ions changing the ionic bonds or because of the metal ions Cu2+ reacting with the COO- and breaking the bonds? i dont geddit!!!!
and if u cant use a colorimeter because of the uneven distribution of the precipitate what do you use? help!
xxx
Ebbie
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
The reason why albumin denatures has nothing to do with pH, temperature or anything like that...

Egg Albumen is a globular protein held together by interaction between R groups.

Some of the bonds between R groups are Ionic, i.e. a positively charged R group is attracted to a negatively charged R group and the force of attraction holds the shape of the protein.

Copper sulphate dissociates into Ions in solution. These Ions are also attracted to the charged R groups. The positive Copper ions are attracted to negative R groups, the Sulphate ions to the positive R groups.

These ions neutralize the charge on the R groups so that the R groups no longer bind to each other. This makes the protein uncoil into long strands. Some of the bonds in the protein strand are polar, slightly charged at one end.

H groups are slightly positive, and become attracted to the slightly negative O end of OH groups. As the protein has uncoiled the H and OH groups are free to line up.

The resulting hydrogen bonds cause the molecules to stick together. It is this more compact, regular arrangement of molecules that makes the albumen white.

Instead of using a colorimeter you can compare the amount of albumin that has been denatured with a solution that is obviously denatured for example 0.1 concentration of copper sulphate should be enough.
Hayley
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
hello, so what experimant would i do on the albumen
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.83%
Excited (144)
8.84%
Worried (295)
18.11%
Terrified (367)
22.53%
Meh (149)
9.15%
Confused (35)
2.15%