The Student Room Group

Applying for a course with lower grades than required

Hey I really need some advice..

At AS level I got DEE media/physics/biology without much revision and I'm planning to retake some units to boost the grades..

I've been working exceptionally hard ever since I received my results in august ..I recently got A/B in my A2 bio/physics mocks...I got 5 exams in January and plan to get 2 As (as retakes) n 3 B's or higher

I want to do biomedical science at Coventry/Westminster/Middlesex/Befordshire

Middlesex biomed foundation course (insurance policy) needs 180 points and the rest are CCC ..

I've got a very good personal statement aswell (according to my biology teacher) ..

Do u think I will get in?? and what do u think I should do ?
Reply 1
I got 2 b's and a c in as (maths,physics nd chem) I just missed out on an a in maths im resittibg a maths paper a physics paper and two chemistry aswell to push them up to 3a's or 2 a's and a b I've been predicted 3b's and before my exams my grandma had just passed I don't really want to use that as an excuse but im worried the top unis won't even read my application cuz of my predicted grades any advice?

ps.I'm applying at birmingham, ucl, bath, bristol and durham
Reply 2
I got CCD at AS (C's in History and English, D in Politics). I'm being predicted BBC, is it worth applying for History at Aberdeen (BBB)?
Reply 3
Original post by tufc
I got CCD at AS (C's in History and English, D in Politics). I'm being predicted BBC, is it worth applying for History at Aberdeen (BBB)?

I think it would be but make sure you have at least 3 others which meet ur predictions
Reply 4
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/mortarboard/2008/dec/09/alevels-accesstouniversity - Shows how Unis will take predicted grades I have BBC at AS and have been told to apply for ABB, BBB, BBC, BBC and one other
Reply 5
Original post by pk5647

Original post by pk5647
I have CCDD AS and im predicted BBB

Im applying for BBB uni's

Excellant personal statment, good work exp, strong GCSE's (4 A's and 7B's)

Whats my chances?! :s-smilie:

Hate to break it to you, but without a good reference to why you got poor grades, not much of a chance imo
Reply 6
Original post by Politicsftw
Hate to break it to you, but without a good reference to why you got poor grades, not much of a chance imo

Taking into consideration my January exams i met my predicted and im retaking the summer ones?
Reply 7
Original post by pk5647
Taking into consideration my January exams i met my predicted and im retaking the summer ones?

Your tutor or teacher on their written ref will have to give a good reason why you failed (e.g exam pressure) and reference that you can get good grades e.g mocks. I'm in a similar situation with my grades being B (one A one C) one B (one A one C) and a C (one D one A). I have to prove I can get the As all the time:angry:
Reply 8
Original post by pk5647

Original post by pk5647
hmm ok, how annoying! Ive got A's and E's, if my tutor agrees to put it down to personal reasons will this boost my chance? :wink:

As I say I'm only going on information from my 6th form which usual record is 98% uni entrance so are very good at UCAS etc, try talking to your head of 6th or deputy heads, subject teachers etc. They know what they are doing.
Reply 9
Original post by Politicsftw
As I say I'm only going on information from my 6th form which usual record is 98% uni entrance so are very good at UCAS etc, try talking to your head of 6th or deputy heads, subject teachers etc. They know what they are doing.

thanks mate
Original post by pk5647
thanks mate

Also make sure you have two back ups maybe BBC and CCC.
Original post by Numan786
I got 2 b's and a c in as (maths,physics nd chem) I just missed out on an a in maths im resittibg a maths paper a physics paper and two chemistry aswell to push them up to 3a's or 2 a's and a b I've been predicted 3b's and before my exams my grandma had just passed I don't really want to use that as an excuse but im worried the top unis won't even read my application cuz of my predicted grades any advice?

ps.I'm applying at birmingham, ucl, bath, bristol and durham

Urmm no offence but I really would not apply to any of those Universities with a 3 B prediction, maybe one or two, but putting 5 top unis with only 3 b's as a prediction is extremely risky. I would definately put at least 3 which are the same or lower than your prediction, because you are running the risk of getting no offers :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending