The Student Room Group

Food and Drink: UTTERLY POINTLESS FOODS!

This is a thread devoted, my mates, to the components, stand-alone ingredients, items of edibility that we deem to be utterly pointless. Devoid of reason or purpose.

When added to a dish, they do nothing. They're a nuisance. WHY ARE YOU IN THERE? You do NOTHING for the overall meal! But you're... THERE.

Some foods, you just plain don't like, fair enough. But some foods are just pointless. You can't say you HATE them, you just find them irrelevant, unnecessary, and POINTLESS!

For me, I'll start us off with... CRESS.

If I want salad, I'll have cucumber or lettuce on my egg sandwich, and that way I won't have some god damned strings of crunchy flavourless THREAD sticking in my teeth. And I can't even effectively pick it out like you could with say, a tomato (if you felt so inclined). It's just a pointless, NUISANCE FOOD!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TotoMimo

It's lots of fun to grow though! :proud:
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
It's lots of fun to grow though! :proud:

"Hey Bill, I had too much fun growing this cress... I've grown too much!"
"Chuck it in the sandwiches Ollie, just hope nobody notices..."

I'm now expecting this conversation goes on in EVERY egg-mayo sandwich factory.

My 2 cents;

Rocket.

Seriously, you don't need to put it in EVERY sandwich. It's like the stuff increases the value of sandwiches by £3 or something. Think - STARBUCKS.
Reply 3
I LOVE both rocket and watercress :frown: :frown: :frown:
Original post by TotoMimo
This is a thread devoted, my mates, to the components, stand-alone ingredients, items of edibility that we deem to be utterly pointless. Devoid of reason or purpose.

When added to a dish, they do nothing. They're a nuisance. WHY ARE YOU IN THERE? You do NOTHING for the overall meal! But you're... THERE.

Some foods, you just plain don't like, fair enough. But some foods are just pointless. You can't say you HATE them, you just find them irrelevant, unnecessary, and POINTLESS!

If I want salad, I'll have cucumber or lettuce on my egg sandwich, and that way I won't have some god damned strings of crunchy flavourless THREAD sticking in my teeth. And I can't even effectively pick it out like you could with say, a tomato (if you felt so inclined). It's just a pointless, NUISANCE FOOD!

Cress is lovely though, it has a really nice peppery flavour - I love it with a sandwich or salad. Admittedly I'd not stick it anything else but it suits egg, chicken mayo, tuna mayo etc.

For me, the nuisance food would have to be peas - I hate them, they have a bizzare flavour and texture that makes me boke, they go cold too soon and you end up with a pile of cold, watery, green balls that if you try to pick up with a fork go shooting across the plate at 90 miles an hour where they then end up hiding under the mash/pie etc.

What's even worse is when people fill otherwise lovely food, with them. Soup, noodles, chinese, pies, fish and chips, even salad - they're always there!! Surely no-one can enjoy them that much!

My only way of solving them is to swallow them completely whole, followed by a glug of juice in the hope that I won't boke the lot back up!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by daisydaffodil

For me, the nuisance food would have to be peas

Peas are really good if you cook them for literally two minutes, season them heavily and add mint.
Or the other really good combination I've had is cold peas, feta and a little red onion. SO delicious <3
Reply 6
Original post by Jessticles
Peas are really good if you cook them for literally two minutes, season them heavily and add mint.
Or the other really good combination I've had is cold peas, feta and a little red onion. SO delicious &lt;3

sounds delicious yummm!!!
Half of the stuff they put in salads is pretty pointless
Reply 8
Lamb/pork chops - too little meat.

Leaf salad - tasteless, watery and too much like grass.
continueing on the peas thing... i never ever liked peas hunger at uni and them being served with things (ggrr) led to me discovering... i dont mind peas with mayo :biggrin: (though not a fan of mayo either... lol)

courgette... it just tastes of the stuff its cooked with... what is the point in that!?!!?
x
Croutons in soups and salad.

I don't get it....they always go soggy in the soup, and add no flavour or anything :dontknow:
Sweetcorn.

1. Eat in
2. Crap out
3. What was the point?
Alright there Mr slice of olive, I don't remember inviting you onto my pizza? please leave.
Reply 13
This is not a food however I feel it is relevant;

Sparkling Water.

Just why? It tastes terrible and I have never met anybody who would choose it over a regular bottle of water.
Reply 14
Original post by georgia(:

Sparkling Water.

Just why? It tastes terrible and I have never met anybody who would choose it over a regular bottle of water.

This so many times over. When doing the DoE, we were in the Czech Republic, and I don't speak very much Czech, so I'd memorised the colour of the bottle caps. In a moment of extreme thirst, I bought the wrong one. -_-
Reply 15
celery... very weak taste and those stringy bits EUGHHHHXASCBAICBI
Original post by JupiterSunshine

I don't get it....they always go soggy in the soup, and add no flavour or anything :dontknow:

I agree. To me they don't add anything whether they're crispy or soggy. Hate sogginess in any case.
(edited 12 years ago)
cous cous can **** right off. it's like a ****ty fusion of rice and polystyrene balls.

also, the gherkins in big macs are just inexplicable to me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JupiterSunshine

Actually if they are made properly then they don't go soggy quickly, they do have a nice flavour and do add something.

If you get soup in a resteraunt and it has soggy croutons in it then it has been sitting around for too long before they served it to you.
Original post by georgia(:

Sparkling Water.

my mum loves sparkling water, it's all she drinks :P and so do the rest of my family for some strange reason, I have to specify I want tap water, otherwise they give me sparkling.

Latest