The Student Room Group

Do UK medical students/doctors get drug tested?

And if so, when? Do different medical schools have their own policies? Thanks :smile:
No. But if you are ever caught with drugs, it will not go down well with a fitness to practice panel...
Original post by pgreg1
And if so, when? Do different medical schools have their own policies? Thanks :smile:

I'm curious as to why you're asking.... :colone:
Reply 3
Yes, yes they do.

And then they prosecute anyone who fails.
Reply 4
Thanks for your reply Becca-Sarah :smile:

Original post by Captain Crash
I'm curious as to why you're asking.... :colone:

Lol, I'm not some sort of heroin addict if that's what you are thinking.

I just do not agree with societies views on drugs. I believe that the profoundly spiritual and peaceful experiences one might get from marijuana/peyote are far more agreeable than the uncivilised, drunken misendeavors that medical students ungracefully stumble into every week.

But that is just my opinion, I am no drug user myself, but who can blame one for beeing curious?
Original post by pgreg1

I just do not agree with societies views on drugs. I believe that the profoundly spiritual and peaceful experiences one might get from marijuana/peyote are far more agreeable than the uncivilised, drunken misendeavors that medical students ungracefully stumble into every week.

But that is just my opinion, I am no drug user myself, but who can blame one for beeing curious?

Whatever your views on drugs (and you can get hauled in front of the GMC for alcohol related misendeavors....) this isn't about drug us, but probity and the ability to obey the law. If you're shown to flaunt some laws (regardless of how much you disagree with them) it says a lot about how you respect law in general, and as a doctor, respect of laws is incredibly important.
Reply 6
:eek::eek:
Original post by Captain Crash
Whatever your views on drugs (and you can get hauled in front of the GMC for alcohol related misendeavors....) this isn't about drug us, but probity and the ability to obey the law. If you're shown to flaunt some laws (regardless of how much you disagree with them) it says a lot about how you respect law in general, and as a doctor, respect of laws is incredibly important.

Fair point, but I would draw you to the attention of the many laws broken as a result of being drunk. I was arguing from the moral side of things because obviously, as these drugs are against the law, it is important to obey the law - your statement is true regardless of which crimes you commit.

And the bold bit is a great example of how we, both as young people and medical students, are indoctrinated to have such narrow-minded views on drug taking. So you are saying that if I, say having been travelling in the Sacred Valley, had had a wonderfully spiritual experience on peyote - a completely natural plant - I am in the wrong. Say, hypothetically it was known that I had done this. You are suggesting that this shows I have a general disregard for the law in general? Are you suggesting that, because I did something against the law, I am more likely to do something else against the law and put my patients at risk (like I am going to kill them or something!!)?. Even in the context of this perfectly harmless and personal experience?!

:eek:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by pgreg1

Fair point, but I would draw you to the attention of the many laws broken as a result of being drunk. I was arguing from the moral side of things because obviously, as these drugs are against the law, it is important to obey the law - your statement is true regardless of which crimes you commit.

And the bold bit is a great example of how we, both as young people and medical students, are indoctrinated to have such narrow-minded views on drug taking. So you are saying that if I, say having been travelling in the Sacred Valley, had had a wonderfully spiritual experience on peyote - a completely natural plant - I am in the wrong. Say, hypothetically it was known that I had done this. You are suggesting that this shows I have a general disregard for the law in general? Are you suggesting that, because I did something against the law, I am more likely to do something else against the law and put my patients at risk (like I am going to kill them or something!!)?. Even in the context of this perfectly harmless and personal experience?!

If, as a medical student, you break the law while under the influence of alcohol, it can have serious consequences for your fitness to practice.

I have no idea of the legal status of peyote in Peru, and I doubt many of us would make a moral judgment on whether you should take it or not. The fact that it is "natural" makes very little difference - so are lots of things that are either illegal or highly controlled. But you have to face the reality that if you break the law, you may have to pay the price both in terms of judicial punishment and professionally.
Original post by pgreg1

Don't get me wrong - I am sympathetic to your views on drugs. I'm certainly of the view that decriminalising certain drugs would cause more benefit than harm.

The reason I talked about respect for the law in general is because, as a doctor, you are expected to follow the law with regards to your profession, largely unmonitored. Medical students and doctors who break the law, even minor ones, have to come under scrutiny because casual dismissal of the law in some areas may lead to casual dismissal of the law in the realm of medicine.

Which is why breaking the law is a fitness for practice issue, regardless of the law broken. You know the laws and you know the consequences of breaking them. You may not agree with them. I may not agree with others; say, perhaps, speeding. But we cannot pick and choose which laws we obey if we are to be trusted as a medical professional.

(plus everything Helenia said)
Reply 9
Well said, I definitely see where you are coming from.
Stfu 😻

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending