Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi im doin coursework for a2 biology on the effects of antibiotics on bacteria. i have to apply each antibiotic disc on each bacterial lawn then after incubation measure the inhibition zones around each disc. im testing the following on each petradish:

ecoli wiv novobiocin
    ecoli wiv amoxycillin

s.albus wiv novobiocin
    s.albus wiv amoxycillin

however i need an hypothesis on wot results i will find and i need to do a bar chart. im not sure which will be more effective on which though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    hi im doin coursework for a2 biology on the effects of antibiotics on bacteria. i have to apply each antibiotic disc on each bacterial lawn then after incubation measure the inhibition zones around each disc. im testing the following on each petradish:

ecoli wiv novobiocin
    ecoli wiv amoxycillin

s.albus wiv novobiocin
    s.albus wiv amoxycillin

however i need an hypothesis on wot results i will find and i need to do a bar chart. im not sure which will be more effective on which though.
    any1

ReputationRep:
    I'll have a think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    any1
    what's the question?

ReputationRep:
    Novobiocin, isnt in my pharmachology book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boygenious)
    what's the question?
    which antibiotic will inhibit e coli the most. and which antibiotic will inhibit s albus the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    which antibiotic will inhibit e coli the most. and which antibiotic will inhibit s albus the most.
    i know tetracycline inhibits it a lot, by affecting the bacterial ribosomes

ReputationRep:
    i know tetracycline inhibits it a lot, by affecting the bacterial ribosomes
    I'm pretty sure that wasn't the question. Amoxicillin is a borad spectrum anntibiotic so I would imagine is effective against both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    I'm pretty sure that wasn't the question. Amoxicillin is a borad spectrum anntibiotic so I would imagine is effective against both.
    just trying to help. but yeh i agree with you on the amoxicillin, i can also add that novobiocin is good against staphylococcus aureus but pseudomonas has resistance to it. again i'm not too sure what the question is

ReputationRep:
    just trying to help. but yeh i agree with you on the amoxicillin, i can also add that novobiocin is good against staphylococcus aureus but pseudomonas has resistance to it. again i'm not too sure what the question is
    WTF is novobiocin, I've never heard of it and it's not in my books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    WTF is novobiocin, I've never heard of it and it's not in my books.
    it's a very specific one used for s aureus, just like isoniazid is specific to m tuberculosis. so the point is that amoxicillin is broad spectrum, whereas novobiocin isn't

ReputationRep:
    it's a very specific one used for s aureus, just like isoniazid is specific to m tuberculosis. so the point is that amoxicillin is broad spectrum, whereas novobiocin isn't
    Interesting, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Interesting, thanks.
    k thanks for ya replies

In all fairness it works on many mycobacterium. It's certainly a treatment for Mycobacterium Bovis, (not anymore due to laws preventing use of drugs for humans and animals) and I think it works against leprosy too (also a mycobacterium). it increases free radicals in mycobacterially in fected cells as i recall.
    J
    PS I'm just being a keeno nob

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.