The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
You should only bother with 3 A-Levels with most Uni's and an AS for some Med schools in London but that's it, don't bother with more
It depends on how focused and dedicated you are. And whether you enjoy the subjects, and a very carefully planned timetable is essential. I'm homeschooled, and last year I took three As (Latin, Classical Civilisation and Critical thinking) and 3 GCSEs (Chemistry, Classical Greek and English Language). I had a tutor for Class civ, and Chemistry, but taught myself the other subjects and I did really well.

I have a lot of friends that go to Grammar schools and they tend to take about 5 on average. ALthough I know some of them took As while taking GCSEs, etc. If you really want to do 6 A levels maybe you could take them over 3 years instead. Or decide what degree/further education you want to do and find out the necessary qualifications for it.

If you are hard working and diligent you can do anything :smile:
I want to take 6 as well (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Psychology and Forensic Science). I would only take 4 AS's though. I think it is possible if you put the work in an drop at least 2 at AS.
Original post by cllamb2000
I want to take 6 as well (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Psychology and Forensic Science). I would only take 4 AS's though. I think it is possible if you put the work in an drop at least 2 at AS.

What a bump!
I really can't see any reason as to why someone would even want to do 5 full A levels nevermind 6...
Don't do it. Time tabling issues would make it near impossible. If I were you I'd just try and get 4A*s, because the more you do the worse your grades will inevitably be. You don't need physics at all for medicine or history anyway. Maybe try 5 AS' if you're adamant to do English (alongside Maths, Chemistry, Biology and history), although it isn't necessary. You could then decide which degree you'd like to study before A2 year. Then if you wanted to do medicine you could continue with Maths, Chem and Bio, and if you wanted to do history you could possibly continue with Maths, English and History.
Ok so you absolutely do not need six but if you want to do them then go for it (it's not as hard as everyone makes it out to be so long as you stick at it) I did 5 outside of a school environment and i was fine and i got lower IGCSE grades then you so if you just can't decide then go for it, worst that happens is you drop a couple.
Original post by weasleyisking
Right so, I'm leaving school next year (2012) and I need to start thinking about colleges and sixth forms. I know I'm deffinately doing A Levels, but I just don't know what to pick as I am unsure of what I want to do a degree in, maybe Medicine of History?

I want to keep my options open so I'll need to do all my sciences and my maths along with English and History.

So all together that'll be:
- Biology
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Maths
- English
- History

6 A Levels. :s-smilie: I just want to know if that's possible. Are you allowed to take six a levels? Would that be too much work? I'm predicted for A's and A*'s at GCSE so I can do the work, I just wonder if it's too much? :confused:

Well, thanks :smile:

MMy brothers tutors son took 6 a levels and got a first in economics at Durham uni and is now going to Cambridge for masters
Original post by FloydRix
What is the point in taking 6?

Just take 5. maths and physics are similar in ways so drop 1 of them.

Latest