The Student Room Group

What EXACTLY are predicted grades based on?

Are predicted grades based mostly on AS Levels?

But I got AAC in my subjects at A-Level (I'm re-sitting the 'C' in Jan) and yet my teachers have predicted me BBC.

This is particularly annoying as my History teacher (which I got the C in) had been marking me A*s on every mock exam in the latter half of last year and has told me she thinks something went wrong in my exam.

I got mediocre GCSE results (all Bs and Cs - no As or A*s) but I consciously tried last year to buck myself up, but now I'm being predicted below my AS Grades.

I feel I'm a good student in lessons and none of my teachers have ever indicated to me otherwise. I'm extremely stressed and anxious at the moment because all the Unis Ive had my eyes on over the summer have been around AAB entry req. If my predicted grades stay as they are, I'll be out in the cold and have to either reconfigure my choices or defer.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What's going on and what can I do?

EDIT: Also, I was predicted well below my achieved AS Grades (BBCD as I remember) but I surpassed them. However, my low predicted grades are obviously much more damaging this year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Ouch, generally they predict you one up from your AS grade don't they?
Your school are being ridiculous. Speak to the head, since BBC to AAC is quite frankly a pisstake. If worst comes to worst, the fact that you have to declare your AS grades will go in your favour, so If I were you I'd still apply to AAB/AAC universities.
Reply 3
I think its quite subjective but its going in my favour this year unlike many of my class mates. I had a bad set of June modules I got all B's in Jan but ended up with BCD. I am predicted AAB and im fairly likely to achieve it IMO and teachers opinion. Its quite sad but I suggest phoning up you Uni's to make sure Bath told me straight up I'm at a grave disadvantage since my AS are so low, so I might change them to Notts who are more lenient with AS.
Reply 4
BUMP - I could really use info on this for when I talk to my teachers about it
Reply 5
BUMP
Reply 6
Get ur parents involved and complain!
Original post by zoeaw
Ouch, generally they predict you one up from your AS grade don't they?

Ha, mine didn't.
Original post by BabushkaMan
Are predicted grades based mostly on AS Levels?

But I got AAC in my subjects at A-Level (I'm re-sitting the 'C' in Jan) and yet my teachers have predicted me BBC.

This is particularly annoying as my History teacher (which I got the C in) had been marking me A*s on every mock exam in the latter half of last year and has told me she thinks something went wrong in my exam.

I got mediocre GCSE results (all Bs and Cs - no As or A*s) but I consciously tried last year to buck myself up, but now I'm being predicted below my AS Grades.

I feel I'm a good student in lessons and none of my teachers have ever indicated to me otherwise. I'm extremely stressed and anxious at the moment because all the Unis Ive had my eyes on over the summer have been around AAB entry req. If my predicted grades stay as they are, I'll be out in the cold and have to either reconfigure my choices or defer.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What's going on and what can I do?

EDIT: Also, I was predicted well below my achieved AS Grades (BBCD as I remember) but I surpassed them. However, my low predicted grades are obviously much more damaging this year.

I do some A level teaching and so have to produce predicted grades. It's a thankless task because grades depend on talent and effort. The best starting point is to suppose that A2 grades will be the same as AS. But there is a pattern of lazy students who underperform in Y12 and say they will do better in Y13.

The game is further complicated because many students need grades to fulfil Uni offers. They will allocate their effort between subjects to give themselves the best chance of getting their place, not the best grade in 'my' subject.

In reality, I think your best chance is to talk to your teachers. Explain what offers you expect from which Uni's and the grades you plan to get. Ask your teachers whether that is realistic. Simply having a good conversation will increase their estimate of your commitment.

Good luck.
Original post by ian.slater
I do some A level teaching and so have to produce predicted grades. It's a thankless task because grades depend on talent and effort. The best starting point is to suppose that A2 grades will be the same as AS. But there is a pattern of lazy students who underperform in Y12 and say they will do better in Y13.

The game is further complicated because many students need grades to fulfil Uni offers. They will allocate their effort between subjects to give themselves the best chance of getting their place, not the best grade in 'my' subject.

In reality, I think your best chance is to talk to your teachers. Explain what offers you expect from which Uni's and the grades you plan to get. Ask your teachers whether that is realistic. Simply having a good conversation will increase their estimate of your commitment.

Good luck.

Yes, it really is, isn't it? The sooner we go to a post-results application system, the better.
They should at the very least be predicting you AAB condering you achieved two A's at AS
It depends on your school. But you can get them changed, I'm sure.
The OP's teachers sound pretty unfair.

I'm not bothered about mine- AAA, it's enough- but I don't know how it's going to come across because they've gone on about 90%+ module grades in my reference (and actually I think I only got about 85% in one of the subjects so I'm not v. happy about that). Compounded by the fact that my tutor put "and achieved very high marks in her other modules" in a different subject (there are two in total and I got a C in the other one!). The unis will know it's not me doing the er, embellishing...but I wish they'd checked their facts before! Doesn't exactly boost your confidence if you find you have to be lied about to be considered :rolleyes:

If it meant I couldn't apply to the unis I wanted I'd be pretty miffed. I'd kick up a fuss if I could, OP, if I were you. It's also to do with incentives and things. If you get AAB offers, of course you'll work harder than if you're only asked to get what you could get without making much of an effort. Even if you were close to Bs at AS. They're not helping you at all.
Reply 13
My AS grades were ABB and I've been predicted AAA. The Bs were borderline As and I am doing resits in January to hopefully get As. At my sixth form, the teachers base the grades on the AS grades (usually one grade up), the student's overall commitment and the grade the teacher thinks you're capable of if you work really hard. At first my Economics teacher was reluctant to change the predicted grade B to an A, but after some persuasion from my parents and eventually the head of sixth form, he did.
You guys are all lucky you don't go to my college, as they heavily base predicted grades from bloody GCSE's. I got AABC in AS Maths, F. maths, Physics, Chemistry, respectively. I am now predicted A*A*C, It's only my maths teachers that have enough sense to disregard the school's predicted grades system.

Latest

Trending

Trending