The Student Room Group

How to revise for GCSE English?

I'm retaking GCSE English, because I have achieved a D grade last summer. I’m doing Poems and the Reading Persuading paper. (AQA Section A & B)

The main upset is that the Poems really REALLY! P1ss me off~!

Anyway, how can I revise for this upcoming exam? I'm really struggling. Anyway are there any good AQA English revision sites?

Also, what's the best way to revise for English?

Thanks, I wish a teacher could help me out <3
( I'm a year 13 student btw )

''NOTE I am doing Foundation Tier'' I REALLY THINK FOUNDATION IS A BAD IDEA! I asked my teacher to put me in the higher tier; she said NO! :frown:

I really think higher paper is MUCH more easier to achieve a C grade? I did Higher for maths and I've obtain a Grade A. Last year I did foundation Maths for Module 1,3 and 5. I got 2 D's on Module 1 and 3 and C on 5. I was like 3 marks of a C on Module 1 and 3. That shows something right? Nevertheless, my maths grade is officially an A :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Have you been annotating the poems which you may need to analyze in the exam? I expect you have but if not reply back and ill give you more information.
Reply 2
Make lists of:
themes within each poem (and ones that you can compare to another one you are studying)
Uses of metaphors and similies and what effect this has.
The imagery used (is it distressing imagery, does it sound like like they are comparing something to an animal which can be quite popular).
The rhyme scheme (if it is fluid, why? If it has enjambment, why?)

I don't know what poems you are doing, so I can only help you this much at the moment. I got an A at GCSE level, so I know roughly what I'm saying :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by SportScience
I'm retaking GCSE English, because I have achieved a D grade last summer. I’m doing Poems and the Reading Persuading paper. (AQA Section A & B)

The main upset is that the Poems really REALLY! P1ss me off~!

Anyway, how can I revise for this upcoming exam? I'm really struggling. Anyway are there any good AQA English revision sites?

Also, what's the best way to revise for English?

Thanks, I wish a teacher could help me out <3
( I'm a year 13 student btw )

''NOTE I am doing Foundation Tier'' I REALLY THINK FOUNDATION IS A BAD IDEA! I asked my teacher to put me in the higher tier; she said NO! :frown:

I really think higher paper is MUCH more easier to achieve a C grade? I did Higher for maths and I've obtain a Grade A. Last year I did foundation Maths for Module 1,3 and 5. I got 2 D's on Module 1 and 3 and C on 5. I was like 3 marks of a C on Module 1 and 3. That shows something right? Nevertheless, my maths grade is officially an A :smile:

Go through the poems and highlight the different techniques found in each (rhyme, repetition, tenses, enjambment, structure, purpose, etc). Once you've done that, make a table where you list all the techniques found in each.

Once you've done that and are familiar with the techniques in each, I'd recommend finding sample exam questions and attempting them. You'll find that both your speed and skill improves, especially if you get good feedback off your teacher (or someone on here - the english forum is usually pretty helpful).
Reply 4
Original post by Darren-M
Go through the poems and highlight the different techniques found in each (rhyme, repetition, tenses, enjambment, structure, purpose, etc). Once you've done that, make a table where you list all the techniques found in each.

Once you've done that and are familiar with the techniques in each, I'd recommend finding sample exam questions and attempting them. You'll find that both your speed and skill improves, especially if you get good feedback off your teacher (or someone on here - the english forum is usually pretty helpful).

Thanks for you're help; do you know any website that has all the Poems info? i.e Structure, themes and purposes etc? Thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by SportScience
Thanks for you're help; do you know any website that has all the Poems info? i.e Structure, themes and purposes etc? Thanks :smile:

The AQA website will have past papers for you to practice, and you should usually be able to find information on the poems by typing in the title of it into google. Some of the poems have youtube videos too, so that's worth a shot - something like 'poemnamehere analysis' should bring up some results.

I took my exam last year, and as far as I know that was the last year for that particular syllabus so I can't help on specific poems unless there is any overlap between the old and new.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending