Parent Troubles Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Am I the only person who has regular parent troubles?

Every time that I do something that my father does not approve of which can be anything down to something small like not having my house tidy when he comes round (yes, I live away from home) he kicks off.

Sometimes I am constantly told how useless I am and how my attitude to life is wrong (all the usual crap basically).

Does anyone else have problems with their parents levelling constant unfair criticism at them and if so how do they deal with it?
bazippit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)

Every time that I do something that my father does not approve of which can be anything down to something small like not having my house tidy when he comes round (yes, I live away from home) he kicks off.

Sometimes I am constantly told how useless I am and how my attitude to life is wrong (all the usual crap basically).

Does anyone else have problems with their parents levelling constant unfair criticism at them and if so how do they deal with it?
Are you the youngest sibling, if so then you constantly get compared to the others achievements
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Not realy but I know plenty of people who have. I don't get on that well with my dad for historical reasons but I try and just completly ignore him if I can.

I would hate it if I had parents like that though.
MuniE
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

If you live away from home why don't you just tell your parents to f off..... sure it will make them mad but then they won't talk to you for a while and the problem is solved.j/k... i have no idea man
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bazippit)
Are you the youngest sibling, if so then you constantly get compared to the others achievements
try being a twin... it's absalute hell when it comes to comparisons.

and yes, my parents (esp) my dad kick off at me all the time. i find shouting back doesn't help *although that doesn't stop me*

lou xxx
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
No, but my father is at the top of his profession with an entry in whos who and all that stuff.

My girlfriend thinks that my "failings" are mainly due to him comparing me with him.

He also goes into a rage giving it all the usual stuff that parents come out with (if you dont pull your finger out then you will end up on the dole etc...)
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
They annoy me completely. I have therefore opted for the tried and tested approach, in which I don't acknowledge their existence except for dinner.
Blamps
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

isn't funny how I don't get on well with my mum
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by corey)
They annoy me completely. I have therefore opted for the tried and tested approach, in which I don't acknowledge their existence except for dinner.
Hehe that is pretty much like me, I even eat my dinner in my bedroom! I do talk to my mum a bit though. I can never have a conversation with my dad though he is always in a pernement state of drunkness.
bazippit
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Even if you have moved away from home stress can still be induced by what they say on the phone! Though not as bad as living at home
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
im constantly told how use less i am bcause i cannot get a holiday job
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Hehe that is pretty much like me, I even eat my dinner in my bedroom! I do talk to my mum a bit though. I can never have a conversation with my dad though he is always in a pernement state of drunkness.
I don't speak to my mum, I hate her with a passion.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Even if you have moved away from home stress can still be induced by what they say on the phone! Though not as bad as living at home
Yes, despite being 22 and living in my own house with my own mortgage I am still told what I can and cant do.

The only reason that I listen is becuase my father subsidises my lifestyle to an extent.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
my dad thinks i'm stupid for not taking a gap year, and finds it ridiculous that i am too scared to go to America on my own - get a job and somehow manage to live out there for a year, making money as i go
bazippit
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
im constantly told how use less i am bcause i cannot get a holiday job
Then get one (i.e. hotel/catering work), but do not work at Butlins!
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i hav got one, ijust dont like working htetr
MuniE
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
WOW man your dad yelled at you for not taking a gap year?? That's insane..... If i had to go to the US and earn my way as I went I would end up in a ditch in New Mexico or something
bazippit
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by MuniE)
WOW man your dad yelled at you for not taking a gap year?? That's insane..... If i had to go to the US and earn my way as I went I would end up in a ditch in New Mexico or something
Different
TK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by MuniE)
lol - no erm...never mind - i'm not joining the army
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
lol - no erm...never mind - i'm not joining the army
I thought you liked a man in uniform?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (296)
25.92%
Yes - they're famous (292)
25.57%
No I don't (554)
48.51%

Watched Threads