Can you put hot/warm pasta straight in the fridge?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Kayak
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hello, yes this may sound like a stupid question, but I thought better to ask than do it anyway and get food poisoning or something even more stupid! So I am planning on making some pasta tonight to take on a trip at the weekend (Wont have time tomorrow morning to make any) and was wondering if I can cook the pasta and stick it straight in a tub and in the fridge, or if I have to wait a bit til it's cooler, or if I have to wait til it's completely cool...? I know with things like rice you have to be especially careful, but I wasn't sure about pasta.
Thanks
najinaji
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
You have to wait till it's cool to prevent the other stuff in the fridge warming up.
pipistrelle
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
i wouldnt risk putting anything warm/hot in the fridge because it raises the temp. of the fridge and could spoil the other stuff in there
so yeah cool it first
Kayak
Rep:
Completely cold? Thanks
Hylean
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Should never put warm food in the fridge or freezer, to be honest.
chronic_fatigue
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
You should wait for it to cool first then put it in the fridge, that applies to all food.
username739587
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kayak)
Hello, yes this may sound like a stupid question, but I thought better to ask than do it anyway and get food poisoning or something even more stupid! So I am planning on making some pasta tonight to take on a trip at the weekend (Wont have time tomorrow morning to make any) and was wondering if I can cook the pasta and stick it straight in a tub and in the fridge, or if I have to wait a bit til it's cooler, or if I have to wait til it's completely cool...? I know with things like rice you have to be especially careful, but I wasn't sure about pasta.
Thanks
I don't understand all the people saying that you shouldn't put hot anything into a fridge.
You won't get food poisoning from pasta anyway, but the longer something is at room temperature/warm, the greater the risk.

Consider the mass of the fridge, and then compare it to the mass of your food. Adding your hot food would probably only warm the fridge up by a fraction of a degree, and is probably no more detrimental to the contents of your fridge than opening the door.
Kayak
Rep:
Okey doke, thankyou for the help. I think I shall go and make it now then to give it time to cool down before I stick it in the fridge
username225218
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by najinaji)
You have to wait till it's cool to prevent the other stuff in the fridge warming up.
I've always known not to put warm food in the fridge... but never known this was the reason! How weird!
Kayak
Rep:
(Original post by stroppyninja)
I don't understand all the people saying that you shouldn't put hot anything into a fridge.
You won't get food poisoning from pasta anyway, but the longer something is at room temperature/warm, the greater the risk.

Consider the mass of the fridge, and then compare it to the mass of your food. Adding your hot food would probably only warm the fridge up by a fraction of a degree, and is probably no more detrimental to the contents of your fridge than opening the door.
Ah, well now I'm confused lol! Thing is I've heard the 'don't put hot things in the fridge', but then also yes if you leave it out at room temp it is more likely to gather bacteria..?

Ah, I'll cook it, leave it to cool down, but not all evening or anything, just til it's cool enough that it won't warm anything else up?
TurboCretin
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by stroppyninja)

The mass of the fridge?
username739587
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TurboCretin)
The mass of the fridge?
ok, basic physics. consider that you have 2 pints of water. one of them is almost 0 degrees, and the other is a hundred degrees. Mix the 2 of them, and you get 2 pints at 50 degrees.

Now you have 100 pints of water. 99 of them are near 0 degrees, and 1 of them is at 100 degrees. you mix them all up, and you end up with 100 pints at 1 degrees.

This last situation is more like your fridge dilemma.
pipistrelle
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kayak)
Ah, well now I'm confused lol! Thing is I've heard the 'don't put hot things in the fridge', but then also yes if you leave it out at room temp it is more likely to gather bacteria..?

Ah, I'll cook it, leave it to cool down, but not all evening or anything, just til it's cool enough that it won't warm anything else up?
just put it in there as soon as it cools/before you forget
Intensity
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kayak)

20-30 minutes will be fine. The amount of bacteria would be negligible. Think how many people had ham sandwiches and stuff for lunch at primary school. That would've been at room temperature for hours...

Raw meat is another story.
Trizzle
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
It will make the whole fridge smell of the pasta if it is hot.
ArcadiaHouse
Badges: 17
Report 10 years ago
NO.

Wait until it's completely cool, then put it in the fridge. Never ever put hot/warm food straight in the fridge.
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
NO.

Wait until it's completely cool, then put it in the fridge. Never ever put hot/warm food straight in the fridge.
...Why?
Wizz09
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Unless it's in huge quantities, or it is at a very high temperature, there is no problem whatsoever with putting hot/warm stuff in the fridge. The thermostat will adjust the temperature to maintain it at the level required.

The only issue is if the quantity of the food is large, relative to the size of the fridge - in which case you need to be more careful.
ArcadiaHouse
Badges: 17
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by + polarity -)
...Why?
Because it causes a chemical imbalance in the food and causes food poisoning. I can't remember exactly what they're called, but basically the bacteria in the food goes haywire if they're put in extremes of temperature - you have to wait until the temperature gradually goes down.

I can't really explain it properly, all you need to know is not to do it
TheGrinningSkull
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Laws of thermodynamics explains post 1 and 2

And with other things you can get risk of bacteria and infection developing doing this?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads