John Frieda Lightening Spray and Salon hair dye?

Watch
twelve
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've been using the lightening spray (my hair is actually light brown, so probably shouldn't have done, but I loved the effects anyway) and because I liked the blonde on me, I've decided to get my hair dyed blonder with highlights. Thats all fine - but then I thought ohh dearr, maybe not such a good idea getting all these chemicals on my hair, so I haven't been using the spray for a while.

Anyway, went to the hairdresser, and expected him to do a strand test to see if would react badly, but he seemed to think it was fine to dye it. He did say he wouldn't do a full head, but would rather go for lots of thin highlights, because he said something about my hair ending up looking stripy. BUT, I'm a bit nervous that he said nothing about the lightening spray. He did mention 'sun-in' and how that had really bad effects, but he said he didn't know about the john frieda spray causing any problems, so he said it was fine to go on with the dye on tuesday (after a skin test, naturally!)

Has anyone else had/heard of any bad experiences with salon dye after using this spray? I am going to pay £80 for this....so I REALLY don't want it to go wrong.
Miss_Scarlett
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by twelve)
I've been using the lightening spray (my hair is actually light brown, so probably shouldn't have done, but I loved the effects anyway) and because I liked the blonde on me, I've decided to get my hair dyed blonder with highlights. Thats all fine - but then I thought ohh dearr, maybe not such a good idea getting all these chemicals on my hair, so I haven't been using the spray for a while.

Anyway, went to the hairdresser, and expected him to do a strand test to see if would react badly, but he seemed to think it was fine to dye it. He did say he wouldn't do a full head, but would rather go for lots of thin highlights, because he said something about my hair ending up looking stripy. BUT, I'm a bit nervous that he said nothing about the lightening spray. He did mention 'sun-in' and how that had really bad effects, but he said he didn't know about the john frieda spray causing any problems, so he said it was fine to go on with the dye on tuesday (after a skin test, naturally!)

Has anyone else had/heard of any bad experiences with salon dye after using this spray? I am going to pay £80 for this....so I REALLY don't want it to go wrong.
Not sure about the spray.

But RE the colour, make sure you know the tone of blonde you want. I had a small nightmare with my highlights coming out brassy earlier this year....ended up going brunette and then going blonde in stages, as I wanted it to look more natural and not bleached. A waste of time and money!!

However it is fantastic when you get the result you want, so it is worth it
twelve
Rep:
?
(Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
Not sure about the spray.

But RE the colour, make sure you know the tone of blonde you want. I had a small nightmare with my highlights coming out brassy earlier this year....ended up going brunette and then going blonde in stages, as I wanted it to look more natural and not bleached. A waste of time and money!!

However it is fantastic when you get the result you want, so it is worth it
Yeahh, I've got a picture I took with me to make the appointment today, so hopefully I can make sure I get what the picture shows!
Miss_Scarlett
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeahh, I've got a picture I took with me to make the appointment today, so hopefully I can make sure I get what the picture shows!
I just had a quick look RE the spray.

And I would keep it off your hair once its coloured, but it should be fine now if you have used it to go get it professionally highlighted.

It gets mixed reviews a lot of people were saying it delays the time needed for root redying...but some were also saying it turned their dyed hair orange/brassy, so if it were me Id not take the chance.

Post a pic when its done :teeth:
twelve
Rep:
?
I just had a quick look RE the spray.

And I would keep it off your hair once its coloured, but it should be fine now if you have used it to go get it professionally highlighted.

It gets mixed reviews a lot of people were saying it delays the time needed for root redying...but some were also saying it turned their dyed hair orange/brassy, so if it were me Id not take the chance.

Post a pic when its done :teeth:
Excellent news! I found the same when I was researching stuff, but I wanted to double check

I will post a picture - quite excited now! Thankyouuuu
Miss_Scarlett
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Excellent news! I found the same when I was researching stuff, but I wanted to double check

I will post a picture - quite excited now! Thankyouuuu
You are welcome

Im intrigued now, what is the colour that you want it dyed?

That was the colour I took in yesterday :teeth:
twelve
Rep:
?
You are welcome

Im intrigued now, what is the colour that you want it dyed?

That was the colour I took in yesterday :teeth:
Well, this was the picture I showed the hairdresser, but said basically I don't want it QUITE as many highlights as this. My hair is naturally the same colour as the darkest bits on that picture

http://www.hairstylesforroundfacesbl...meron-diaz.jpg

Same style I'm getting as well!
hannahhaworth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I used a whole bottle of the spray before further lightening my hair, then dying it darker twice. I had no problems at all
Mollyyy2705
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I used the John frieda lightening spray and then went to get my hair dyed very blonde, luckily the lady did a strand test on me because the dye reacted with the spray and made the hair go like chewing gum and dissolved, I wouldn't suggest dying your hair after using it at all! Imagine all my hair dissolving! I thank god she did the test!!!!!
Melonaid
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So was your hair ok adding hilights after using the spray? Any problems?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (414)
52.08%
No (381)
47.92%

Watched Threads