The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Liverpool 2012 Applicants!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by driftingaway
I received my offer for law today.

The offer letter states they want AAA ... i dont think i can achieve that. Will they accept A*AB in lieu of AAA? (My offer letter doesnt specifically state 360 points across 3 alevels/A*AB though.) :s-smilie:

That was like me - I got an offer from Sussex for AAA. Not going to happen!! You never know though. And I reckon Liverpool probably would accept A*AB, although I'm not sure. I got an offer from Lancaster saying they might accept equivalent combinations. It depends how over subscribed the course is.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 261
Original post by somethingbeautiful
I stayed in Philharmonic (1st year) and Mulberry (2nd year).

Philharmonic is all 1st years which makes for good nights out but can also make for some really bad nights in when you're trying to catch some sleep and there are pissed people outside singing or people in the room below having 'fun times' shall we say. Also, we had quite a few fire alarm incidents whereby we had to get up and stand outside in the cold at 2am in the morning because people were cooking and burning stuff.

Each flat has a senior student (3rd year) to resolve any problems which inevitably arise e.g. dirty kitchen/bathroom etc, they also help you in other ways like telling you directions to important places (the Guild etc). Some of the senior students have a superiority complex. Philharmonic itself is basic and the rooms are an adequate size - although one thing that I didn't like was the fact that my walls were breeze blocks painted in white - it looked like a prison cell :biggrin:. We also had mice in Philharmonic and we were on the top floor so God knows what it was like on the ground floor.

Basically, don't expect The Ritz - it's not the best accommodation but it's certainly not the worst. There are onsite washing machines/dryers and a porters office to collect mail. Unfortunately, if you want to hoover you room you have to walk to the Porters office and give them a deposit (about £1) and then drag a 'Henry Hoover' all the way back to your flat - which is irratating especially when you live on the top floor (as I did!!). But it's a gated community so it's not like you're walking past Tesco's dragging a Henry Hoover. Still, it's a bit hard to look cool when you see a course mate and you're dragging a hoover and a load of washing. They also decided to change the hinges on our doors midway through term. I came back after a lecture to find workmen in my room and my door missing. Came back later and I had a new hinge and a load of woodshavings on my floor. It happened to everyone in my flat.

Mulberry was a whole other story - it's a mixture of 2nd/3rd years and people doing MAs. Most of the people in Mulberry are international students. It's not party central. Mulberry accommodation is split in to a block of flats beside the gym and a set of houses tucked away on Mulberry Street. If you're put in the houses you aren't in a gated community and your washing machines are over the road within the other bit where you can also collect mail (by the uni gym) - but it's not too far.

I had quite a lot of problems in Mulberry - for example our boiler constantly broke and leaked brown water all over the worksurfaces and onto the floor. It stank to high heaven and we couldn't use the warm water for much of the time. Also, the fridge leaked. A couple of people in my house kept wedging the back door open with a chair so anyone could come in - when I was in lectures there was nothing I could do about it.
Other houses did this too and people had laptops stolen because of it. There were 2 bathrooms for 7 of us - 1 on the bottom floor and one on the middle floor but the one on the middle floor only had a bath, no shower and the toilet was in a seperate room. So basically, 7 people were using one bathroom on the bottom floor. The bathroom was disgusting - the shower head fell off and no one fixed it for 2 weeks, the floor was contantly soaking wet and the walls were peeling.

Also, there was building work directly outside - very loud drilling. No one notified us prior and it went on for 3 months. The drilling started at 8am. They also do room checks and I found it quite annoying when the woman told me I couldn't have a kettle in my room - but I wasn't putting in dowstairs were there were rats and a leaking boiler. Oh and when the boiler was being fixed they sent workmen to bleed the radiators in our rooms and they gave them keys for the rooms incase we weren't in - without notifiying us. I was awoken at 9am by a man in my room. Funny in hinsight but I was livid at the time.

There is also a club/bar directly outside Mulberry and the room windows are only single pane glass (which makes it freezing in winter - especially when they place the beds next to the window and the boiler doesn't work!) - so you can hear pissed people shouting and screaming in the early hours.
There are rats - I saw quite a few outside the front door and the porters/cleaners were aware of it. When the builders were drilling I saw one of them kill one with a metal tube.

There were bugs in the bathrooms - I don't know if they were cockroaches but they were brown and had 'pincey' things sticking out of their heads.

Basically, unless you have very little money, I wouldn't bother with Mulberry - it was grim. Philharmonic isn't much better but at least you can have a laugh with 1st years to take your mind off it - in Mulberry it's just dead.

Wow..ok..that's...some insight! So Mulberry is definitely off the list now!
Are you still studying at Liverpool? Did/do you know anyone who stayed at Prospect Point? Thoughts?
Original post by Beeebzy
Are you still studying at Liverpool? Did/do you know anyone who stayed at Prospect Point? Thoughts?

I'm still in Liverpool but I'm not in halls/student accommodation anymore, I'm staying with family now. I don't know anyone personally who lives in Prospect Point but it's popular with medics and nursing students because it's literally opposite the Royal Liverpool Hospital. It's about 5 mins walk from the Harold Cohen Library and 10/15 minutes walk from the Sydney Jones Library.

The street that it's on is main/busy street because it's a direct route into the city centre and because the hospital is there. Basically you'll get a mix of people in that area, it's a typical city centre street so just use common sense and don't go out at night there alone. It's very close to a place called Kensington which is a bad area so don't venture in to there on foot in the late afternoon/evening (you wouldn't need to anyway). Kensington is basically on the same road but further up in the opposite direction to the city centre.

You may have already looked but this is the place on Google maps, the Hospital is on your right, Prospect point is the building on the left. Kensington is straight ahead and the City centre in behind you.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=The+Royal+Liverpool+University+Hospital,+Prescot+Street,+Liverpool&hl=en&ll=53.410613,-2.964731&spn=0.000006,0.005262&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.458429,43.110352&oq=liverpool+university+hospit&hq=The+Royal+Liverpool+University+Hospital,&hnear=Prescot+St,+Liverpool,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.410633,-2.964504&panoid=EqpfwASICRV8uq7oDqlJJg&cbp=12,81.27,,0,-12.84
Reply 263
Original post by Beeebzy

I am staying at Prospect Point at the moment, so I will give you some insight:

It is a pretty decent place to stay, although it is quieter than Greenbank and Carnatic it seems so if you are wanting a more 'lively' place then you may not like PP so much. It is great and people do go out, but it generally has a quiet atmosphere in my experience. The flats are pretty modern and a decent size, and there are frequent kitchen inspections to ensure people keep the place clean. The fridges/freezers have a reasonable amount of space if there is only 5 people in the flat but if there is 6 then it is not so great but the space isn't terrible. The kitchen/lounge area also have a TV with a fair amount of channels which is an added bonus.

The bedrooms are all en-suite and the bathrooms are a decent size for one person. The bedrooms are not huge but they are decent enough unless you have a LOT of clothes, and a LOT of equipment (games console, etc) but the desks go pretty much across the entire width of the room so in my opinion there is plenty of space for studying etc. All flats have a henry hoover, mop etc as well which is good .

Prospect is about 5-10min walk to campus depending on which side of the campus you are going to, and about 10min walk into the city centre. There is a lidl close by, and some of the flats are directly above starbucks, pizza hut, papa johns, greggs, a pharmacy etc so the location is more than ideal.

I personally think Prospect is a decent place. Good location with fairly good living conditions. My only issue is that builders are building apartments right next to Prospect Point block 5 (flats above the shops) and there has been a fair amount of noise which can be a nuisance..but I'm not sure when they finish so next year's intake may not have to deal with that.

When reading what people have said about Mulberry etc then yeah, Prospect is great..no sign of mice or anything here :tongue: and in my own experience I have never really experienced serious problems.
Reply 264
Original post by ItsRach
I am staying at Prospect Point at the moment, so I will give you some insight:

It is a pretty decent place to stay, although it is quieter than Greenbank and Carnatic it seems so if you are wanting a more 'lively' place then you may not like PP so much. It is great and people do go out, but it generally has a quiet atmosphere in my experience. The flats are pretty modern and a decent size, and there are frequent kitchen inspections to ensure people keep the place clean. The fridges/freezers have a reasonable amount of space if there is only 5 people in the flat but if there is 6 then it is not so great but the space isn't terrible. The kitchen/lounge area also have a TV with a fair amount of channels which is an added bonus.

The bedrooms are all en-suite and the bathrooms are a decent size for one person. The bedrooms are not huge but they are decent enough unless you have a LOT of clothes, and a LOT of equipment (games console, etc) but the desks go pretty much across the entire width of the room so in my opinion there is plenty of space for studying etc. All flats have a henry hoover, mop etc as well which is good .

Prospect is about 5-10min walk to campus depending on which side of the campus you are going to, and about 10min walk into the city centre. There is a lidl close by, and some of the flats are directly above starbucks, pizza hut, papa johns, greggs, a pharmacy etc so the location is more than ideal.

I personally think Prospect is a decent place. Good location with fairly good living conditions. My only issue is that builders are building apartments right next to Prospect Point block 5 (flats above the shops) and there has been a fair amount of noise which can be a nuisance..but I'm not sure when they finish so next year's intake may not have to deal with that.

When reading what people have said about Mulberry etc then yeah, Prospect is great..no sign of mice or anything here :tongue: and in my own experience I have never really experienced serious problems.

I'm not too bothered about the liveliness of the place, PP sounds so good! As long as there are a few decent nights out as well as a good place to knuckle down and get work done with good living conditions sign me up! :biggrin: I just need something on campus/near the city centre for travel links and stuff because part of my course is going to be at the Wirral so its best if i live close by to transport links!
Reply 265
Original post by Beeebzy
I'm not too bothered about the liveliness of the place, PP sounds so good! As long as there are a few decent nights out as well as a good place to knuckle down and get work done with good living conditions sign me up! :biggrin: I just need something on campus/near the city centre for travel links and stuff because part of my course is going to be at the Wirral so its best if i live close by to transport links!

yeah it's pretty sweet :smile: probably one of the closest places to the city centre excluding UNITE accommodation too.
Reply 266
is anyone thinking of applying for the new accommodation thats being built atm??
http://www.oconconstruction.co.uk/chatham-street-project/ :smile:

xx
Reply 267
Original post by zoeclarex
is anyone thinking of applying for the new accommodation thats being built atm??
http://www.oconconstruction.co.uk/chatham-street-project/ :smile:

xx

I didn't even know this was happening! Looks good though, will decide on the open day thing next week. What accommodation do you think you're going for?
Reply 268
Original post by Matt :)
I didn't even know this was happening! Looks good though, will decide on the open day thing next week. What accommodation do you think you're going for?

ahaha, I rly like the look of this one! because its going to be ready for 2012 intake of students :3 but I dunno if anyone else would go for it.. I didnt rly like the look of the off site campuses :/ yoou? x
Reply 269
Original post by zoeclarex
ahaha, I rly like the look of this one! because its going to be ready for 2012 intake of students :3 but I dunno if anyone else would go for it.. I didnt rly like the look of the off site campuses :/ yoou? x

Ah well I've always been interested in Dale Hall... but will have a better idea of where i want to be next weekend :smile: x
Just wondering if any one is going to the open day tomorrow at Liverpool uni, I'm going for the biomed open day. If any one gets to see this before tomorrow morning just PM me :smile:.
Got back from the accommodation day at Liverpool and can't make my mind up between Sussex & Liverpool.
Computer Science with a year at Carmel College applicant! :smile: xx
Reply 272
Only just found this thread! A bit late but hey...:tongue:

GCSE: 6 A* 5 A
AS: AAAAC (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, General Studies & Physics)
A2 predictions: AAAA (Biology, Chemistry, Maths & General Studies.)
Course: Veterinary Science.
Why: Love the course, love Leahurst and the facilities there are amazing, love the position of the veterinary faculty in the uni, the students I talked to genuinely had nothing bad to say, I went to the open day and felt so at home, the staff were so nice, they told us that the clinical case load was the best of the 7 unis and corny but true, I've dreamt of studying there since I decided I wanted to be a vet at around 6/7 years old. I could go on forever but it's getting a bit wordy.
Choices: Liverpool, Nottingham, Glasgow & Edinburgh.
What is the university's email address for contact!? I want to email them to see if there's any space left! This is really important to me, if you can help; that'd be great!
Original post by forex
Biology, Chemistry and Economics. ABBb. I'm sure Leeds will give you an offer. Good luck on your A levels and I hope you get into your first choice!

Hello again... have Liverpool given you word back on your fee status assessment?
Who is going to their open day on the 8th march?

Anyone going for mathematical sciences?
Reply 276
Original post by GloriaPenguin
Hello again... have Liverpool given you word back on your fee status assessment?

Hi, yeah I got a reply yesterday and I'm paying Home Fees (if I accept the offer). What about you?
Original post by forex
Hi, yeah I got a reply yesterday and I'm paying Home Fees (if I accept the offer). What about you?

I haven't got anything yet... but if you got a reply hopefully it means I'll get one soon!
Did you apply as a home student or as an international?
Reply 278
Original post by GloriaPenguin
I haven't got anything yet... but if you got a reply hopefully it means I'll get one soon!
Did you apply as a home student or as an international?

As a Home student. Did you provide a copy of your passport?
Original post by forex
As a Home student. Did you provide a copy of your passport?

I applied as an international. And nope, I didn't provide a copy of my passport.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending