Turn on thread page Beta

Dropping AS Chemistry watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it me or does AS Chemistry seems rather difficult....? I am considering dropping it. I have spoken to my head of year, and a letter will be sent home to my parents explaining the situtation. We have completed up to chapter 7, which is about covalent bonds & bond breaking. I found the Moles hard to remember. In my mock exam I took in the last week of Janurary was a diaster, I only achieved 24%. My exam board is Edexcel.

Would you suggest I drop it and retake it next year with two A2 Levels or continue and hope for the best?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_1)
    Is it me or does AS Chemistry seems rather difficult....? I am considering dropping it. I have spoken to my head of year, and a letter will be sent home to my parents explaining the situtation. We have completed up to chapter 7, which is about covalent bonds & bond breaking. I found the Moles hard to remember. In my mock exam I took in the last week of Janurary was a diaster, I only achieved 24%. My exam board is Edexcel.

Would you suggest I drop it and retake it next year with two A2 Levels or continue and hope for the best?
    I always thought it was difficult (not mod 1) but mods 2 and 3. Then i bought those collins books (AQA) and started reading them, they are very precise and got me high A's. Get something like that, they do help, alot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShOcKzZ)
    I always thought it was difficult (not mod 1) but mods 2 and 3. Then i bought those collins books (AQA) and started reading them, they are very precise and got me high A's. Get something like that, they do help, alot.
    I agree Shockzz, I teach myself Mathematics and I have 3 textbooks that are specifically written for my syllabus, one for each module.

They teach the stuff so well and thoroughly, with the worked examples clearly explained and it really does click. Theres also lots of questions, and exam questions and I have really improved by working through each section bit by bit, understanding the material.- I always get High A's.....and it makes sense.

Teachers are often rubbish!!! (At my school especially )

ReputationRep:

i'm finding it alright. I can remember forumlas and that, it's just the essay questions i can't do.

ReputationRep:

I dropped it- I found it not only difficult but also incredibly boring. However, i decided this in the September of Year 12 so I had time to take up another subject. Since you're a bit further along in your course it may be worthwhile just carrying on, taking the exams in June and hoping for the best. If Chemistry is as hard as it seems the grade boundaries may allow for this and you may come out ok. If u don't you could always retake the exams next January. I wouldn't see the point in dropping it and then retaking it next year though- if you find it hard now you'll find it even harder when you're studying for your A2's.

ReputationRep:

I did EdExcel chemistry AS last year and got 297/300 overall in modules 1, 2 and 3.. To be perfectly honest with you the AS is about 80% learning. It's nothing more than sitting down and learning, almost parrot-fashion all the definitions they want you to know and all the calculations and stuff.. based on each heading in the Syllabus: http://www.edexcel.org.uk/qualificat....aspx?id=48132

If you have the NAS text books which accompany the syllabus each heading should link to the topics on the syllabus. If there's anything in particular which you find difficult I dont mind helping.

So in my opinion.. you've come this far.. don't drop it! Carry on and work hard from now on seeing as you're struggling, and remember that there's not that long to go.

Last year i found these books helpful:

*) Collins AS revision guide (blue A4 size)
    *) AS "Do Brilliantly" Chemistry
    *) NAS text book

Hope this helps ya!

Oh, the A2 is like 80% understanding and explanation.. hard hard hard.
    SAHIR

Sahir could not be more correct.... the A1 is about learning lots of facts, whereas you have to apply yourself LOTS in the A2 units....

with physics you have to apply yourself all along such as deriving a formula that you've never derived before to help get an answer

ReputationRep:
    I'm also currently doing as-level chemistry and I would agree that its quite tricky but at this late stage I don't think that it would be in your best interest to drop it. Think of all the work you did that will go to waste. I recommend some serious studying, I find the following books helpful:

CGP AS Chemistry revison guide
    Letts AS Chemistry

And remember if you don't do too well you can always re-sit the exams in January.

Good Luck

ooh and by the way thanks for the link to the specification, Sahir

ReputationRep:
    If you like it, go on with it !
    If you hate it, drop it as soon as possible.
    in chemistry:
    pay = gain
    indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    I'm also currently doing as-level chemistry and I would agree that its quite tricky but at this late stage I don't think that it would be in your best interest to drop it. Think of all the work you did that will go to waste. I recommend some serious studying, I find the following books helpful:

CGP AS Chemistry revison guide
    Letts AS Chemistry

And remember if you don't do too well you can always re-sit the exams in January.

Good Luck

ooh and by the way thanks for the link to the specification, Sahir
    No problem.. just remember this is the "EdExcel Chemistry" NOT the Nuffield syllabus. Although you're intelligent enough to have noticed that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahir)
    No problem.. just remember this is the "EdExcel Chemistry" NOT the Nuffield syllabus. Although you're intelligent enough to have noticed that.
    hehe

that female has the nicest lips and eyes
    must be the chemistry har har ****ing har :P

ReputationRep:
    Kristen Kreuk, nice.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with all of teh above points, but another thing to note, is that ask your teachers first. Always, for their advice.

ReputationRep:

I have not studied Chemistry to A-level, but I did drop my fourth AS subject and did not take up another one. As long as you're not wanting to get into any red brick universities, it's not so bad - you can concentrate on your other subjects and probably end up coming out for the better. I speak from personal experience, however: you may do well regardless! What I would advise against, however, is taking it again next year - it will be much more stressful as A2's are a lot more demanding than AS's. So basically, either drop it completely and concentrate on your other subjects, or take it to the full AS level. I agree that it is quite late at this stage, so it's probably worth studying the subject to the full AS level. A friend of mine had trouble passing in Chemistry mock papers but eventually passed in the real thing - she got a tutor to help her.

i scim-read through what you said ,.... if you had one module in january and you messed it up, end it and do what the other person said, concentrate on your others

A1's are still hard, ( a little less demanding than the old a level and the a2's are alittle more demanding ) this is to ensure parity

cant wait for the results on march 11th

ReputationRep:
    it might be a good idea if u r really struggling but i have been teaching myself edexcel as level chem and if u work reasonably hard, it is possible to do very well.

ReputationRep:
    If you want 3 a-levels and an AS then you could always take another AS in year 2, although it might be difficult doing it alongside 3 A2s.

ReputationRep:

I think Chemistry is a really useful subject to have. It is hard, but it's a good challenge. In my AS i did very porrly in my mocks, however with intense studying and some good revision books i did better than i thought i would. If you really like it, and would like to do something related to it in the future i suggest you continue with it. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Get yourself some accompanying books revision books a good chemistry dictionary. Put the time in and you will find that you will get on a lot better. A science is a very good thing to have employment wise. It makes employers think that you are capable of a high level of work and analysis.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.