The Student Room Group

Conversion degree to psychology?

Hi i am currently doing a bsc in diagnostic radiography but am considering a career change into becoming a psychology teacher.

As i am already in my 2nd year of radiography it would make sense to complete the one year i have left so that i end up with a degree.But i was just wondering after doing so is there a possibility of doing a conversion degree to psychology and then after that a pgce to initially become a psychology teacher
:confused:
Reply 1
Original post by kams91
Hi i am currently doing a bsc in diagnostic radiography

Hey,

You would need to complete your degree anyway to be able to do a conversion course! So after you do that you do a diploma, Msc basically a postgrad Psychology conversion course. So YES is the answer lol, check out different uni's that do it. I know Nottingham and Hertfordshire does but yeah :smile:
Reply 2
The British Psychological Society website will list all the accredited conversion courses in the UK - http://www.bps.org.uk/bpslegacy/ac

You really need to check the entry requirements though. A lot of the conversion courses require 60 academic credits of Psychology being studied at an undergraduate level. If you haven't already done this, you may need to look into doing some courses at the open university first.
Reply 3
Yeah conversion should be easy enough, you can do it in a year - which is quicker than quitting and taking the whole 3 year course for psychology.
Reply 4
Oh okay thanks for the help guys,its much appreciated :smile:
Just one more question tho, if i do do a conversion course would getting in to pgce course be more difficult for me or would i be treate d equally to undergrad psychology students? :s-smilie:
Reply 5
http://www.findamasters.com/search/CourseDetails.aspx?CID=15361 - St Andrews is the uni with the best academic rep which offers a conversion course.

I'm going to apply for it I think. I've just graduated in History and Politics, never studied Psychology before but it looks really interesting.
Reply 6
as long as your conversion gives you the same GBR registration then it should be treated the same as undergrad I think..

Quick Reply

Latest