The Student Room Group

What do you think of Ed Sheeran?

Scroll to see replies

I generally agree with what Alexis Petridis of The Guardian said in his review of his album + (How do you pronounce his album, is it "Plus"?):

The kind of person who once believed the internet would give keen-eared kids the opportunity to break free of the stifling conformity of the music industry and alight on new sounds too groundbreaking, confrontational and futuristic for cautious record companies to countenance might let out a little yell of horror at Ed Sheeran's rise. The kids who like him do indeed appear to have spent the last few years ignoring the sclerotic conformity of the music industry – but have been listening instead to something that sounds exactly like it could have been released by a major record company.
Reply 41
Original post by JCC-MGS
****, dunno why everyone is gassed off him. Well, I get why suburban kids and that like him but I don't really get why all these people in grime did collabs with him and ****. Maybe they thought it was a way into the mainstream.

This.
Reply 42
The song he did with Devlin, I think it was called "Lately" was good.
Reply 43
I think he's really good. I've seem him live and he didn't disappoint! Not exactly my "thing", though.

I'm really irritated by the hype surrounding him as well...
he's ite
Reply 45
Over rated
Dull, boring, generic indie crap.
Yawn. You made me stop listening to Echo & the Bunnymen to listen to this? :unimpressed:

Original post by rainbow drops
Dull, boring, generic indie crap.

Indie pop needs to die.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
He makes all the chavs at college think they're indie :|
In comparison to the rest of the charts he's a ****ing genius. In comparison to real music he's a bit **** really.
There's no denying he has a good voice, and he writes good songs, but it's not really my sort of thing. Plus most of his songs are really weird, like, talking out of time, random lyrics... sounds kinda crap. Don't know why people call him generic though because it's quite unique in comparison to most stuff in the charts.
I don't understand why there's so much hype about him. When I first heard "The A team", I liked it but then the radio kept playing it again and again and again and again...and it's starting to get annoying as it's a good song but it's over hyped too much.

I've heard that other song too....is is "You need me, I don't need you" or something?? Well, I've heard it a few times and I can't get into it really. I also think it's weird how he's rapping and singing about his fame and achievements already when he's only just really entered this new fame and limelight. I understand that the things he's singing about are based upon his journey to get where he is now....but to me it still seems very pretentious.

He's okay, he seems like a nice guy and everything but I hate the fact everyone is so "in love" with him. Some people seem to only "love" him because their friends do. There are so many legends in music and although he's a good music artist with a different style...I don't think he'll be one that we'll think of in years to come from now as one of the GREATS. That's just my opinion anyway.
Reply 52
I've seen him live and I think he's over-rated. I don't think he's bad or anything but my sister is obsessed with him.
Original post by JCC-MGS
****, dunno why everyone is gassed off him. Well, I get why suburban kids and that like him but I don't really get why all these people in grime did collabs with him and ****. Maybe they thought it was a way into the mainstream.

Get me all these man goin' round sprayin' helim n' ting blud you GET ME FAM. Whasgwarnin' wid Grime uno bucktoof Ghetts doin' a collab. wid Cher Lloyd uno swear down man on a hype ting. LOWKEY AKALA KNAWLEDGE IS PAWER!
Reply 54
His music is ok, I didn't really like the song he released after The A Team, if he's got a 3rd one out I haven't heard it yet. So it's really 5/10 from me over both the songs I've heard.

On another note: I think he looks a little bit like my dad did... and my surname is Sheeran and it's spelt the same way interestingly enough... but it might just be me.
Original post by I Persia I
Get me all these man goin' round sprayin' helim n' ting blud you GET ME FAM. Whasgwarnin' wid Grime uno bucktoof Ghetts doin' a collab. wid Cher Lloyd uno swear down man on a hype ting. LOWKEY AKALA KNAWLEDGE IS PAWER!

I have no opinion of him whatsoever. What annoys me is people bleating on about his music being the best thing they've ever heard, when it just isn't.
Original post by JCC-MGS

I swear it sounds better out loud. :colonhash:
Reply 58
As someone who doesn't know anything about music, I thought the vid in the OP was incredible, if people don't think he's good can someone show me something better :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
He plays acoustic guitar = Can be sold as an authentic artist, and pop folk is in at the moment.
He plays with urban artists = Can be sold as hip for the kids and gets more radioplay than just some guy playing acoustic

Same old major labels being led by marketing teams.

Without the hype he's ok, but nothing that would make him stand out from any other decent busker you could find in any major UK city. I think he's similar to Ellie Goulding in that he's an average folk artist who's needed to find a gimmick to sell himself, and his songs aren't great but they've given him access to some great producers who can put a lot more life into the material.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply