The Student Room Group

Is The MBA Useless Or More Than Useless?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ory
OP
Original post by arra
The MBA is useful because other people think it is so. An interesting economic phenomena is that when people place an inflated value on the productivity (or lack thereof) on a group of people (MBAs, Asians, Harvard grads, etc.) it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, which engenders more of the same but now for good reason.

People without the internet and people who think that a BA is useful think that an MBA is useful. No doctor, lawyer, dentist, vet, accountant, engineer, scientist, pilot, carpenter, metallurgist, craftsman, firefighter, emt, nurse or military commander of any worth would regard it as useful. Go to Google and type "MBA is a...." and let us know what comes up. It would be interesting to see.

The bubble has well and truly burst. But, if you are in the MBA selling business ie a grad business school I guess you want the world to believe it's useful - sure - I can see why.
Reply 21
Ory
OP
Original post by arra
The MBA is useful because other people think it is so.

I forgot to mention you were right about one thing. Grandmothers think that an MBA is useful, and are particularly proud of their Comma MBA grandchildren.
Reply 22
Let me put it this way. My mom has an MBA from a top school and I don't think she finds it particularly useful but we both agree it's why she's earning what she is.
Really does depend where you get your MBA. Saying it's useless is non-sense, like a degree it has little to do with what you learn and more about signalling. There's a reason why the top firms recruit from INSEAD, Booth or SOM. It makes recruitment easy, they know it's hard to get into these B-schools and that you need a great academic and career record. When you also factor in an MBA graduates comes with a network of other top class MBA graduates.
Reply 24
Ory
OP
Original post by arra
Let me put it this way. My mom has an MBA from a top school and I don't think she finds it particularly useful but we both agree it's why she's earning what she is.

Tell us more, where she got it, what she did before, who paid for it, what she does now - ie actual job not title - also employee or business owner?
Reply 25
Ory
OP
So let me guess: She was the same person after the MBA as she was before, just with less money/more debt and with three extra letters.

This is an interesting discussion about the MBA.

So is this.

The consensus seems to be that MBA is a liberal arts degree for older students.
Reply 26
Oops sorry I was gone. I don't think that's the consensus at all. More debt but a lot more money. Duke University.
Reply 27
Ory
OP
Original post by arra
Oops sorry I was gone. I don't think that's the consensus at all. More debt but a lot more money. Duke University.

The consensus about the worth of the degree comes from successful people who got one, but mostly from successful people who never bothered to get one. The videos are at the links posted but heres another.

Let us know how your mother's success story means that MBAs are useful.

What she did before, who paid for it, what she does now - ie actual job not title - also employee or business owner? Also, don't you think it plausible that she could have learned the same information, in this day and age, with a buck fifty in late charges at a decent library (or on the interwebs?)
Reply 28
Original post by Ory

What she did before, who paid for it, what she does now - ie actual job not title - also employee or business owner? Also, don't you think it plausible that she could have learned the same information, in this day and age, with a buck fifty in late charges at a decent library (or on the interwebs?)

Well, If you're dedicated enough you could learn a whole Bachelors and Masters level worth of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, English Literature, Law, Economics, etc. - practically any subject from self-teaching yourself from a library and reading e-books, in fact many university students do appear to be self-teaching themselves half the time, but what good is it if you can't prove it to prospective employers since you can't exactly accredit yourself. lol.

They could ask for a portfolio of work, but I haven't heard of anyone getting employed that way, though there might be..

I don't have an opinion on whether an actual MBA is useful or not, it doesn't sound interesting to me, but it does seem to be popular and I don't understand why employers pay for their workers to obtain one, but hey..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Let us know how your mother's success story means that MBAs are useful.

What she did before, who paid for it, what she does now - ie actual job not title - also employee or business owner? Also, don't you think it plausible that she could have learned the same information, in this day and age, with a buck fifty in late charges at a decent library (or on the inter webs?)
MBAs are not the right choice for everyone, but from a top school it can be a worthwhile signal. She is an employee, not a business owner, but was recruited into a very accelerated track because of her MBA. She paid for it, but it has surely paid back. I'm sure you can learn all that stuff, but not make the same connections and not "emit" that same signal.
Reply 30
Ory
OP
Original post by Threxy
Well, If you're dedicated enough you could learn a whole Bachelors and Masters level worth of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, English Literature, Law, Economics, etc. - practically any subject from self-teaching yourself from a library and reading e-books, in fact many university students do appear to be self-teaching themselves half the time, but what good is it if you can't prove it to prospective employers since you can't exactly accredit yourself. lol.

An MBA is a pre-requisite for nothing. No profession or professional body will demand an MBA. Compare medicine, law, dentistry, engineering where the degree is essential. Also, I don't think you can compare an MBA to any one of these professional disciplines. MBA, unlike bachelors degrees in these fields, is not a terminal professional degree, in fact, it is not even a normal masters degree. This is also obvious if you look at the admission requirements for MBA. Anyone with cash can get one, whereas with a professional degree you need some ability to get in and even more to complete it.

Food for thought:
MBA stands for massive bulls**t accolade now. If you can graduate with an engineering degree MBA will be as hard as wine tasting class at ur local junior college.

They could ask for a portfolio of work, but I haven't heard of anyone getting employed that way, though there might be..

MBAs won't be employed over anyone with a real degree. But the argument is that they are useful for advancing your employment. So it having breasts or sleeping with your boss.

I don't have an opinion on whether an actual MBA is useful or not, it doesn't sound interesting to me, but it does seem to be popular and I don't understand why employers pay for their workers to obtain one, but hey..

It's popular with people who don't know better, or who can't progress in life and think that it's somehow useful. Any doctor, lawyer, dentist, engineer, astronaut, pilot, or member of any occupation that gets things done would laugh at the MBA and people who are proud of their MBAs.
Reply 31
Ory
OP
Original post by arra
MBAs are not the right choice for everyone, but from a top school it can be a worthwhile signal. She is an employee, not a business owner, but was recruited into a very accelerated track because of her MBA. She paid for it, but it has surely paid back. I'm sure you can learn all that stuff, but not make the same connections and not "emit" that same signal.

Emit the bull**** signal? I am sure that some gullible people, who aren't educated, think that any MXX degree means that the person is smart. But no one who has studied a real Masters or undergrad degree falls for that bull****.

People could get onto a very accelerated track by spreading their legs, so the MBA isn't the answer. Lets concentrate on that for a second: What job before, what job after, what in the MBA did she study that made her get the new job? Or was it in fact other pre existing abilities that she had? One does not cause the other, that's all. If everyone had gotten an MBA, would everyone have been promoted?
It's credentialing, or perhaps HR filtering. The degree itself is useless but if you go to a top university for one you will get interviews with top employers. Otherwise it's a waste of money, like a 2.2 law degree.

Original post by Ory
An MBA is a pre-requisite for nothing. No profession or professional body will demand an MBA. Compare medicine, law, dentistry, engineering where the degree is essential. Also, I don't think you can compare an MBA to any one of these professional disciplines. MBA, unlike bachelors degrees in these fields, is not a terminal professional degree, in fact, it is not even a normal masters degree. This is also obvious if you look at the admission requirements for MBA. Anyone with cash can get one, whereas with a professional degree you need some ability to get in and even more to complete it.

Food for thought:

MBAs won't be employed over anyone with a real degree. But the argument is that they are useful for advancing your employment. So it having breasts or sleeping with your boss.

It's popular with people who don't know better, or who can't progress in life and think that it's somehow useful. Any doctor, lawyer, dentist, engineer, astronaut, pilot, or member of any occupation that gets things done would laugh at the MBA and people who are proud of their MBAs.

Actually an MBA in many firms is a requisite for promotion. This happens more in industries such as consulting or banking where you're generally selling your people. The reason why there is a large intake of MBA students is not because of what they learn, because in all fairness it's not going to help much, but more because it allows them to charge clients more.

I'll use consultancy, since I'm familiar with that. Simply promoting someone because they've produced good work or been there for X years can be problematic when trying to sell them to clients. As a client for all you know the company pitching to you could be lying about this persons achievements, and as a client you don't want to be billed out £500 an hour for someone your unsure of. This problem changes dramatically if that person has an MBA from a top Business school. Once you say LBS or INSEAD the client know with certainty that this person is a high performer and has good work experience, since getting into a top business school is difficult. So firms will go out and say you need an MBA for promotion, because it allows them to charge you out for me. It's a pretty stupid thing to say they're useless.
Reply 34
Ory
OP
Original post by DynamicSyngery
It's credentialing, or perhaps HR filtering. The degree itself is useless but if you go to a top university for one you will get interviews with top employers. Otherwise it's a waste of money, like a 2.2 law degree.

Except that a 2:2 law degree is a real degree and a terminal professional degree. The grad has hard concrete knowledge in a discipline, that is useful in life, not just management nonsense that is pseudo science, and has a degree which is a pre-requisite to professional admission. A 2:2 law grad can become a legal professional, and 2:2 for that degree is nothing to laugh at.

Comparing MBA to a law degree is like comparing a degree in ikebana with a degree in physics - one is soft and easy and there is no right and wrong, the other is hard and involves hard, concrete knowledge. Anyone can get an MBA, few are admitted to law degrees, just like medicine or dentistry, and fewer can graduate.
Reply 35
Ory
OP
Original post by yoyo462001
Actually an MBA in many firms is a requisite for promotion. This happens more in industries such as consulting or banking where you're generally selling your people. The reason why there is a large intake of MBA students is not because of what they learn, because in all fairness it's not going to help much, but more because it allows them to charge clients more.

They would have to be dumb clients to expect more from an MBA than from someone with actual experience.

Once you say LBS or INSEAD the client know with certainty that this person is a high performer and has good work experience, since getting into a top business school is difficult.

It is not difficult, when compared to law or even accounting. Entry and graduating from these degrees is a lot more difficult than entry to any MBA program.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Emit the bull**** signal? I am sure that some gullible people, who aren't educated, think that any MXX degree means that the person is smart. But no one who has studied a real Masters or undergrad degree falls for that bull****.

People could get onto a very accelerated track by spreading their legs, so the MBA isn't the answer. Lets concentrate on that for a second: What job before, what job after, what in the MBA did she study that made her get the new job? Or was it in fact other pre existing abilities that she had? One does not cause the other, that's all. If everyone had gotten an MBA, would everyone have been promoted?
Probably an MBA reject speaking here. A signal is a signal and really even a Bachelor's degree can be learned through the internet. For what it's worth my mom also has an academic Masters degree in a very technical field, so no I'm not just spewing crap.

I am very sorry you got rejected from an MBA program. I am also sorry that you are not open to other opinions, you started this thread hoping for one answer and the fact that we have provided others that might not coincide with yours disturb you greatly. Frankly, I don't care. I'm going to have a comfortable life and college education without debt because of this worthless "MBA" so I'm fine with that. Go look at top 20 schools and their MBA alumni, if you don't think that's impressive… Hey, well, losers gotta hate!
Reply 37
Ory
OP
Original post by arra
Probably an MBA reject speaking here. A signal is a signal and really even a Bachelor's degree can be learned through the internet.

I am very sorry you got rejected from an MBA program. I am also sorry that you are not open to other opinions, you started this thread hoping for one answer and the fact that we have provided others that might not coincide with yours disturb you greatly. Frankly, I don't care. I'm going to have a comfortable life and college education without debt because of this worthless "MBA" so I'm fine with that. Go look at top 20 schools and their MBA alumni, if you don't think that's impressive… Hey, well, losers gotta hate!

Well, with that aggressive response, you are spewing crap.

You cannot even identify 1. what your mom did before her MBA 2. what she did after her MBA 3. what exactly in her MBA got her the promotion and 4. if everyone in her job earned an MBA, would they also get the promotion ie is the MBA the cause of her promotion or just a gift in advance of it?

I dont want an MBA, nobody I work with has one or respects anyone who has one, nobody I get services from such as my doctor. lawyer, dentist, accountant, or driver or pilot or gardener or vet or dog walker has one or respects anyone who has one, and I do fine traveling the world working in the fashion business without one. No one has ever asked me whether I have one, but plenty of people who use the Comma MBA after their name have sure given me and others a lot to chuckle about.

Why is that?

Original post by Ory
They would have to be dumb clients to expect more from an MBA than from someone with actual experience.

It is not difficult, when compared to law or even accounting. Entry and graduating from these degrees is a lot more difficult than entry to any MBA program.

We'll you're talking FTSE 100 clients here. You'd be an even dumber client to believe that because a firm told you this person has 'great experience in XYZ' that that person had great experience. Think of it from a logical point of view, it is in the interest of firm pitching to over-exaggerate the experience of their employees and in the interest of the client to know exactly what they pay for, an MBA gives certainty.

It is very difficult to get onto them both practically and financially. Accounting is not hard to get into first of all, however due to the obvious number getting into a magic circle law firms isn't easy at all. If you think you could waltz into LBS, INSEAD, HBS, Stanford or Wharton then evidently you don't know much of the requirements. Either way you're comparing apples to lions.
Original post by Ory
Except that a 2:2 law degree is a real degree and a terminal professional degree. The grad has hard concrete knowledge in a discipline, that is useful in life, not just management nonsense that is pseudo science, and has a degree which is a pre-requisite to professional admission. A 2:2 law grad can become a legal professional, and 2:2 for that degree is nothing to laugh at.

Comparing MBA to a law degree is like comparing a degree in ikebana with a degree in physics - one is soft and easy and there is no right and wrong, the other is hard and involves hard, concrete knowledge. Anyone can get an MBA, few are admitted to law degrees, just like medicine or dentistry, and fewer can graduate.

I didn't really mean to start an argument about law degrees but...

especially as you are in the USA, they are only useful from top law schools. In British terms I am told it's almost impossible to get a job with a 2.2, which is similar sort of thing. If you go to Harvard Business School or LBS, an MBA will make you money, because it can get you better jobs, content not really mattering. Otherwise it's a complete waste.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending