The Student Room Group
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website

Canterbury the town

Hey guys, I currently live in London but have lived in quieter cities before. I wanted to find more about Canterburys a Town, for example :

Are there good shops?
Leisure centres
Cinemas
Restaurants
Fast food shops

And anything else you can do around the town
yes
don't know, lesirue centres don't interest me
there is a cinema but IIRC it only has one screen
yes
yes
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website
There are loads of shops.
There are two leisure centres in town, as well Sports Centres for each of the Universities. Kingsmead and King's School both have swimming pools etc rather than just gyms.
There is an Odeon in town, but it only has two screens so can't show a vast amount of films. It is 3D capable, but doesn't always show 3D films in 3D (The Lion King, for example). There is also the Gulbenkian on the UKC campus, but this tends to show more obscure films, and then popular films for a couple of nights a long time after they are initially shown (The Inbetweeners is being shown for a few nights in November for example).
There are LOADS of restaurants, cafes, pubs, bars, fast food joints etc. You will be able to find something to suit any taste!

And in any case, London is not a HUGE journey away, you have Bluewater and bigger places near by. But I've not found myself desperately needing to ever go elsewhere! It's not as bustling as London, but it serves its purpose!
In answer to the question about leisure centres, Kingsmead Leisure Centre near Sainsbury's is pretty good. I'm a member there. The gym's nicely kitted out, doesn't get that packed and a membership there entitles you to unlimited swimming and a selection of free classes.
Leisure centre: As said above, Kingsmead is pretty good but if you're not interested in swimming and stuff, as you'll be a first year, you'll cope just fine with the gym on campus.

Cinemas: As a uni student, you probably won't find yourself in the cinema all that often :wink: For that reason, you'll cope just fine with the Odeon, yes it's small but if there's a film you're desperate to see because everybody is raving about it then it'll be shown there - cinemas are expensive :sadnod:

Restaurants/Fast food: You'll never stop finding places to eat. Simple.

Around the town, there's loads of high street shops, most of the big brand names :yy: Don't forget that Canterbury holds two universities, so has thousands of students living here, making it a very student-friendly city :top:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
What are the ticket prices like in Kent?
What are the people of Kent like?

Thanks for all the comments by the way, much appreciated
Reply 6
I really love the town of Canterbury :smile: It's fun to just walk around and there are plenty of great places to eat and shop. The only disappointing thing IMO is the cinema. There's not a large variety of movies available and I'm finding that I have to go out of town to see the movies I want.
The Gulbenkian cinema is nice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending