Student relaxing in halls, University of Bolton
University of Bolton
Bolton

University of Bolton ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by robinwatkinson
Hi

Im the course leader for the FdA Live Events Production and I hope you don't mind me replying! If you would like to come and visit, talk to our current students and see for yourself what it's like, you are more than welcome to come see us.

We aren't actually based in Bolton, rather in Wakefield, Yorkshire. As far as I am aware the course is unique (both in duration and in where it's based - Europe's largest indoor rehearsal arena).

The fees for next year are £8,400 p.a. Do please get in touch or I can put you in touch with our students so they can tell you what they think!!

Cheers

Robin

PS - The course is fully validated and up & running!!

Thank you:smile:

Im pleased to say that I think I have done enough research into the course to come to the conclusion that it suits me so well , it's course is the only course I will be applying to :biggrin:
Student relaxing in halls, University of Bolton
University of Bolton
Bolton
Hi

Splendid news - I'm really pleased you've chosen our course! Will look forward to getting your application and to showing you round!

Cheers

Robin
Reply 22
Original post by robinwatkinson
Hi

Splendid news - I'm really pleased you've chosen our course! Will look forward to getting your application and to showing you round!

Cheers

Robin

Thank you, I appreciate the replies :smile:.
Reply 23
Original post by Rami101
^this is your only post? obviously a member of University's staff.

Sorry to disappoint, I am not a member of their staff, but maybe they should pay me for my last post! I try not to reply much on the site as some argue academics should not reply to student to student conversations, but for the record I actually work for Sheffield Hallam University, indeed I have read some posts evidencing concerns about our courses and bit my lip, maybe its ok to reply to them?

Since my time at Bolton I have attended other universities, but Bolton was the most supportive in terms of helpful and accessible tutors.

To get a little nasty, its success is mainly because it’s a glorified college. But who actually cares!

to balance my views and be totally honest I did enrol at Bolton for a PhD but withdrew because the quality was poor. In my opinion this proved they should stick to what they do really well namely undergraduate education.

Would I recommend Bolton for the FdA or a bachelors degree absolutely yes without hesitation it will be a great and you will love it.

Would I recommend Bolton for masters or doctorate level qualifications, I am afraid not, I would go elsewhere.

Mel
Don't know about the university as I'm not a student there but I live in Bolton and it's not as bad as some people think really and it's pretty close to Manchester :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Mel_Y
Sorry to disappoint, I am not a member of their staff, but maybe they should pay me for my last post! I try not to reply much on the site as some argue academics should not reply to student to student conversations, but for the record I actually work for Sheffield Hallam University, indeed I have read some posts evidencing concerns about our courses and bit my lip, maybe its ok to reply to them?

Since my time at Bolton I have attended other universities, but Bolton was the most supportive in terms of helpful and accessible tutors.

To get a little nasty, its success is mainly because it’s a glorified college. But who actually cares!

to balance my views and be totally honest I did enrol at Bolton for a PhD but withdrew because the quality was poor. In my opinion this proved they should stick to what they do really well namely undergraduate education.

Would I recommend Bolton for the FdA or a bachelors degree absolutely yes without hesitation it will be a great and you will love it.

Would I recommend Bolton for masters or doctorate level qualifications, I am afraid not, I would go elsewhere.

Mel

Thank you for your posts, I appreciate all advice given :smile:

I'm actually really looking forward to going to Bolton (Given that I am accepted:crossedf:)

As for the staff reply thing, I wouldn't worry too much- it would take a very sad individual to try and make it into a drama:wink: lol
Reply 26
Original post by Jennie027
Don't know about the university as I'm not a student there but I live in Bolton and it's not as bad as some people think really and it's pretty close to Manchester :smile:

Yeah! :smile:

I'm pretty excited as it seems a very handy place to live in, its rather small and quiet at times ive heard, and then there is Manchester near by for an amazing night out or shopping and Bolton is also close to Liverpool is it not ? :biggrin:
Original post by Iola :}
Yeah! :smile:

I'm pretty excited as it seems a very handy place to live in, its rather small and quiet at times ive heard, and then there is Manchester near by for an amazing night out or shopping and Bolton is also close to Liverpool is it not ? :biggrin:

Shopping and nights out can be done in Bolton too and it's only a bus ride to Bury, not far at all. I live between Bolton and Bury which is very handy! Bolton isn't far from Liverpool and getting the train there is easy :smile:
Reply 28
Shopping and nights out can be done in Bolton too and it's only a bus ride to Bury, not far at all. I live between Bolton and Bury which is very handy! Bolton isn't far from Liverpool and getting the train there is easy :smile:

Lovely! :biggrin:
Lovely! :biggrin:

:biggrin:! Good luck :smile:
Reply 30
:biggrin:! Good luck :smile:

Thank you :biggrin:!

You too, if you are applying anywhere :smile:
Thank you :biggrin:!

You too, if you are applying anywhere :smile:

I'm already at university but thanks for the luck anyway! I'll probably use it on these assignments I'm doing haha :smile:
I went to the open day here as I was considering applying for the Music & Creative Arts Business course. But I found better courses elsewhere, and the uni itself is a bit small and dingy, and the course didn't seem upto scratch and felt a bit laid back and not getting your money's worth. In the end, I've ended up applying for LIPA, Leeds Met, Manc Met, Buckinghamshire Uni and Bournemouth Uni.
Reply 33
I did an FdSc with Bolton, which was done in partnership with another school/ college. I applied when I was green, naive and had colourful impressions of the world - influenced by the prospectus, the open evening and the reverie of doing a course and an award in something I had an interest in.

Anyway, if your course is run mostly away from Bolton, you might find that the support of school you're at is good. It's the feeling of just being tacked on to the end of Bolton's prospectus that lets Bolton down. My course was run out of a department that didn't really fit with what we were doing and didn't really offer an integrated approach to support and the syllabus (unless you feel that a module in how to use Facebook for career development is a great addition to your Live Production course).

The age of the course might be a consideration for you. I think my group was the second intake of the programme and they were still trying to get things right. If you can find current/ past students of your course, ask for their impressions.

The group I was in was far too large to start with - at the beginning of the course tutors tried to squash 20+ students in to a darkened studio for demonstrations. I saw very little in these sessions. You might want to ask about student numbers on your course and see how that might work out practically. It's unfair on you, as a customer, to lose out because they're trying to pile the course high.

Bolton are also notorious for taking the piss with tuition fees. My own feelings are that, given their performance and the various experiences of the institution, they should try a bit more humility in their expectations.

The university's reputation in other areas is actually quite good - engineering and in particular, materials and textiles - but I think this stems from its accumulated experience from when it was just a college. So it has some advantages, depending on what you're studying.

If you're getting studio/ session time as part of this course, check in to how much you're allowed and what availability is like.

Find out your compulsory and optional module codes and take a look at the syllabus to see if it aligns with your expectations: http://data.bolton.ac.uk/academicaffairs/view_modulelist.asp

Just don't expect anything that will stretch you, intellectually or academically, but you should expect that you'll have access to great facilities that you should make the most of. As the programme's intensive, you should definitely make an effort to live close by, even if it's only the next town to where you are now (I don't know). It'll be a pain in the arse for you, though, if you have to go to Bolton for tutorials.

Still check out other institutions. Do it, do it, do it.
Hi,
I am a current student on the Live Events course at Backstage Academy. If you have any questions about the course or what it's like, send me a PM and i will do my best to help out.

Harry
Reply 35
Original post by HarryHeathfield
Hi,
I am a current student on the Live Events course at Backstage Academy. If you have any questions about the course or what it's like, send me a PM and i will do my best to help out.

Harry

Ahh, How nice of you:smile:

I'm actually the same Iola from yougo :laugh:

But thank you anyway :biggrin:!
Hey Iola,
I figured you were the same person, hopefully others will find this thread so they can get advice :smile:

Harry
Reply 37
Original post by Mel_Y
you can go along way with a Bolton degree, look at the inventor of the iteddy

Where would the world be without the iteddy? :rolleyes:
Reply 38
Original post by HarryHeathfield
Hey Iola,
I figured you were the same person, hopefully others will find this thread so they can get advice :smile:

Harry

I agree, Would be nice :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by abc:)
It is reallyyyyyyy low down on the league tables, like in the bottom few if not at the very bottom. But that's only one aspect, having never visited could never tell you anything about it first hand

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/bolton

Here's a link about it. As you can see the graduate prospects, the amount they spend on academic services and the amount of ppl who actually finish degrees there is really low [66%!] but then again student satisfaction is average so maybe it's not all that bad. Unless you think you'll struggle getting a uni place, like if you have really bad grades, I'd look elsewhere.... do other places do your course?

It's a regional university, so it's something comparable to a "commuter college" in the U.S. That right there guarantees graduation rates will be much lower than a destination college.

Secondly, we're talking about the U.K. and Europe here. The University of Bolton is only 33 years old. That's it. So it's virtually impossible for it to climb above any older university in the rankings (meaning: pretty much any other university in the Kingdom) without being something miraculous.

U. of Bolton is an excellent research institution for its size. In terms of graduate studies, especially at the Ph.D. level, what it offers is of premium caliber. I chose to pursue my doctorate through their Ph.D. by Practice program and couldn't be happier.

Don't let the rankings fool you; much of that has to do with the fact that they're a young institution, and that they insist on facilitating primarily the Manchester region. (Some 70% of their student body is from the city.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending