University transfer - tuition fee and doability

Watch
adam.h
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi.

I have just started a course at Reading Uni. but due to personal reasons I will have to try to transfer my degree to one of the London-based unis next year.

Providing that transfer is successful what tuition fee will I need to pay - the new, £9000-ish one or the old one?

Is such transfer doable, is it common thing among students to change Uni? I would like to get to Imperial, UCL or QMUL... The first one might be out of my reach but it is worth trying anyway.

Thanks
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
New fee, unless you can agree with the uni to pay the old fee
sav91
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you're transferring into year 2 (even to year 2 at a different university), you pay the old fee. If you're starting again in 2012, you pay the new fee.
adam.h
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
sav91 - yes, I would like to transfer my course to different uni. and paying old fee at the new uni. sounds quite fair.
In the worst case I think that(as Juno wrote) it may vary from school to school. The question is whether they will define a transfer as a transfer or as a new application via UCAS with entry point 2(in which case, probably, a new fee is applicable).

Thanks for you thoughts and feel free to add more if you have something on your mind
sav91
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What I've gathered from reading up on this forum and a few other places on the net is that to transfer into year 2 of the same degree at another University wouldn't mean you had to complete a new student finance application so therefore you would still be kept on the same fee status. It doesn't actually matter that you have to do another UCAS application.

Obviously I'd advise calling up SFE and also the Universities you're interested in for further clarification, but the general rule seems to be that transfers stay on the same fee regime, only new entrants to the system in September 2011 will be charged the higher fees.
CharlotteM/
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well actually, my supervisor seemed to think that if I were to transfer, I'd have to pay the higher rate of fees. It's the same if you re-take a year, I think. It doesn't matter that you don't need to do a new application, you still have to pay more. but I'd still advise contacting student finance and the universities you're looking at. Good luck- it's not fair, anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (216)
33.91%
No (421)
66.09%

Watched Threads