The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Is Hull racist?

I really want to go to Hull uni to do Law with Business and i was considering to put it down as my firm if they accept me.

I've heard that Hull is racist. I got told that one asian girl got racially abused by locals. I'm an indian girl and i don't want to really experience that.

So can u tell if if Hull is racist to asians. Some people have said no - Hull is really nice, while others have said yes - they couldn't wait to leave.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ********
I really want to go to Hull uni to do Law with Business and i was considering to put it down as my firm if they accept me.

I've heard that Hull is racist. I got told that one asian girl got racially abused by locals. I'm an indian girl and i don't want to really experience that.

So can u tell if if Hull is racist to asians. Some people have said no - Hull is really nice, while others have said yes - they couldn't wait to leave.

Well, I just had a look at the demographics and 97.7% of the people in Hull are white.

So, it might be a possibility.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2

yes veshy rashist.

In all seriousness - no. Not from my experience. But then again I've only been there on a few occasions.

I don't really understand where Hull gets this rep from for being racist/run down whatever. Its not the greatest place on Earth, but its far from the worst either.

May be you should go and check the place out once, before making such a huge decision. If you don't like it then don't firm it :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Nice username.
No its not. I'd imagine that you get idiots that might be but thats just like everywhere else.
Reply 5
Anywhere that could elect J Prescott has to be a bit strange...

A noun rascist?
Reply 7
I'm from Hull, and it's as racist as any other city in England. -shrugs-
You can't generalise a whole city :/ there are pricks pretty much everywhere, wherever you go.
Reply 9
Hull isn't inherently racist; you will get certain areas which are full of racists, but when you think about it - which cities don't?
Reply 10
Hull has a pretty large international student pool - mainly Asian.

In my experience, i've not seen any racism happen.
Reply 11
Yes, the whole of Hull has officially been proved to hate every single race other than white.
Original post by Tempa
Well, I just had a look at the demographics and 97.7% of the people in Hull are white.

So, it might be a possibility.

White people =! Racism

You have racists everywhere in the world!
Original post by mistermojo
You can't generalise a whole city :/ there are pricks pretty much everywhere, wherever you go.

This
Reply 15
Original post by Bethanyyy
I'm from Hull, and it's as racist as any other city in England. -shrugs-

I'll put my left testicle on you being white.

OP: White people aren't really equipped to comment on this. I suggest you listen to another minority. I definitely find a difference in the way people treat me in Derby compared to, say, London.
Reply 16

Yes very racist...

No of course not, it's just like any place in the UK.

I know alot of Asians in Hull and none of them have experienced racism.
Going to Hull is like stepping back in time
Original post by Bowman.Hath
Going to Hull is like stepping back in time

Have you tried it?
If not how can you comment, may I ask?!
Reply 19
Nah Hull isnt racist, you may get a few odd looks here and there but no racial abuse, youd be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest