Head boy of a Sixth Form - Good on ucas?

Watch
AskingAquestion
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,

How strong would someone stating on their Ucas application that they're the Head Boy of their Sixth Form be? (The Sixth Form is average in London)

Out of 1 - 10. 10 being the strongest.

Edit: [Reason why I made this thread is below]

Spoiler:
Show

Because a friend of mine is going to apply to Cambridge for Psychology, and he said that being head boy and writing it down on his Ucas will boost his chances of getting into Cambridge Immensely. And he doesn't believe me when I say that it wouldn't.
Intriguing Alias
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not usually taken much into consideration. Sometimes it shows good leadership and ability to handle responsibility. Sometimes it just shows you were more popular than the other kids.
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AskingAquestion)
Hi,

How strong would someone stating on their Ucas application that they're the Head Boy of their Sixth Form be? (The Sixth Form is average in London)

You mean personal statement?

Probably around 7 or 8, if you can get your referee to back it up - although it really depends on which course you're applying for...
Perseverance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Stating: -1
Explaining skills gained from it: 5 (doesn't give you an advantage, but it's still something at least its something )
IB_19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Mention it if you can say what you gained from it
electriic_ink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not very much - you were only chosen for the role because you were a boy!
multiplexing-gamer
Badges: 15
Report 9 years ago
I don't think it would be that important, as some students aren't as popular and wouldn't get voted for? :dontknow: The head boy at our school just gives speeches. He only got voted for because he was friendly to everyone.
thegodofgod
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
I don't think it would be that important, as some students aren't as popular and wouldn't get voted for? :dontknow: The head boy at our school just gives speeches. He only got voted for because he was friendly to everyone.
Not necessarily - in our school teachers, as well as students, voted for the head boy...
AskingAquestion
Rep:
?
(Original post by thegodofgod)
You mean personal statement?

Probably around 7 or 8, if you can get your referee to back it up - although it really depends on which course you're applying for...
Look at the edit on my original post =)
JordanR
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not much at all. It wouldn't be fair for it to offer an advantage simply because not every college/high school has a head boy.
unamed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
Not necessarily, in my school you had to apply and then go through an interview process. (That said, it was the teachers' favourites etc)
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Barely worth a very brief mention near the end of the personal statement TBH.
thegodofgod
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Look at the edit on my original post =)
Okay - it might do...

Only if he mentions what he's learned from the experience - organisational skills, teamwork skills etc. It's no good writing it down for the sake of writing it down.
nmudz_009
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi,

Spoiler:
Show

Because a friend of mine is going to apply to Cambridge for Psychology, and he said that being head boy and writing it down on his Ucas will boost his chances of getting into Cambridge Immensely. And he doesn't believe me when I say that it wouldn't.
lol ''How much stronger would someone stating on their UCAS application that they're head boy make their application'' (I had to)
It would make a difference- I mean you're showing off your gud achievements, head boy could be one such achievement- so no harm in stating it:^_^:
Intriguing Alias
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi,

Spoiler:
Show

Also, for Cambridge it is even less so - they will hardly even slightly care. They don't even care about soft skills you may have - they're interested in whether you're clever, passionate and ultimately going to be good at the subject you're applying for. Also you can't simply study 'Psychology' at Cambridge.
AskingAquestion
Rep:
?
(Original post by nmudz_009)
lol ''How much stronger would someone stating on their UCAS application that they're head boy make their application'' (I had to)
It would make a difference- I mean you're showing off your gud achievements, head boy could be one such achievement- so no harm in stating it:^_^:
But how powerful is it? Is it a very strong achievement to put in? or.. ?

How would you rate it? from 1-10? =)
nmudz_009
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Well tbh not everyone can say their head-boy so it would make you stand out:cool:. I can't rate it 1-10, but I really think it should be put in somewhere, although make sure you get all the standard stuff about why you want to study the course/your experiences/EXPAND, before you start showing off but yh and also prestige an that sort of thing will be liked by cambridge :P
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Not powerful at all. On your scale it is worth 0.5.
AskingAquestion
Rep:
?
Anyone else?
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Stating that you were a head boy doesn't really gain you anything, but if you go on to explain how it has enhanced your skills e.g. leadership and gave you additional responsibilities (mention these very briefly) it may set you apart from other applicants. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter that much but it might just put you that tiny bit more ahead of another similar applicant if there are few spaces left.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.3%
No - I have already returned home (22)
13.33%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.42%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.09%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
24.85%

Watched Threads